• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1221 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

I seriously can't believe that with the proof of the Skywalker family light saber being in her hands tha this is even up for discussion. She's Luke's daughter.

What other lightsaber was she going to find? XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1222 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:38 PM

View PostSilencer, on 16 January 2016 - 11:35 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

I'd go visit the force.net...most star was fans feel she's a Skywalker...and that there is nothing wrong with that.

Also, the fact that Anakin's/Luke's light saber went to her is not a coincidence man. Not even remotely.

TheForce.net is the uber-hardcore fandom, dude. Most 'Star Wars fans' = like half the planet. XD isn't TFN the place where people had a collective nervous breakdown over the loss of the EU? XD it's in no way more representative of the fandom than literally everyone else on the internet. :)

It's not just hardcore fans...and most people there are fine with the old eu having gone away. Those that aren't are in the minority.

Do we assume that because we post here that we are all Malazan fans with blinders on who refuse to see sense and are all dumb?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1223 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:40 PM

View PostSilencer, on 16 January 2016 - 11:37 PM, said:

I seriously can't believe that with the proof of the Skywalker family light saber being in her hands tha this is even up for discussion. She's Luke's daughter.

New canon has quite a few of them actually.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1224 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2016 - 11:38 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 16 January 2016 - 11:35 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

I'd go visit the force.net...most star was fans feel she's a Skywalker...and that there is nothing wrong with that.

Also, the fact that Anakin's/Luke's light saber went to her is not a coincidence man. Not even remotely.

TheForce.net is the uber-hardcore fandom, dude. Most 'Star Wars fans' = like half the planet. XD isn't TFN the place where people had a collective nervous breakdown over the loss of the EU? XD it's in no way more representative of the fandom than literally everyone else on the internet. :)

It's not just hardcore fans...and most people there are fine with the old eu having gone away. Those that aren't are in the minority.

Do we assume that because we post here that we are all Malazan fans with blinders on who refuse to see sense and are all dumb?

No, but then I've no experience with us being like that. TFN however does have a bit of that reputation due to events in its past.

And nobody said they were dumb, just hard core. That makes them an outlier in their opinion and non-representational of the majority. And I *would* say that is true of our user base here. We don't represent the 'average Malazan reader' by virtue of being the people who actively discuss the books on a regular basis. Doesn't make us better or worse or strange, just means the average opinion here doesn't necessarily reflect the 90% of readers who don't visit or post.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1225 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

Yes. But which was she going to *find*. That was significant, plot relevant, and going to lead her to Luke?

See. To me. The significance of it being Anakin/Luke's Saber? Is that it ties in to Luke. Thus the 'returning the blade' scene at the end.

Shinrei said:

#1226 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:48 PM

She doesn't have to (and shouldn't) be Luke's biological daughter to be his successor, or for The Force to draw her towards the other big lodestones in the galaxy. That's just noxious storytelling.

Sil is wrong about one thing though: posting here does make us better.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1227 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:49 PM

View PostSilencer, on 16 January 2016 - 11:45 PM, said:

Yes. But which was she going to *find*. That was significant, plot relevant, and going to lead her to Luke?

See. To me. The significance of it being Anakin/Luke's Saber? Is that it ties in to Luke. Thus the 'returning the blade' scene at the end.

The map lead to Luke, not the saber....the saber called to her in Maz's place specifically AND gave her a vision. Maz as much as said it belonged to her.

#1228 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

I can't believe so many of you don't want her to be a Skywalker.

It literally makes NO sense for her to be random and unrelated. None narratively. Not from any storyteller point I can think of,

youre literally positing that Kylo is the only Skywalker through link.

That is ridiculous and as in-Star wars a notion as I can imagine.

I'm astonished. Completely astonished.

#1229 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:15 AM

Well it's two layers. I already don't want her to be a Skywalker as the whole "I am your father" parallel is about a hundred bridges too far.

But as Sil has mentioned, it's also the device of making her origin/place in the galaxy a mystery and then resolving it in the most mundane, predictable way. That's a real gag-me-with-a-spoon culmination (not even a 'turn') of events. A whole host of stupid story elements would have to be shoved in to explain the fact that nobody recognizes her.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1230 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:23 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2016 - 11:49 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 16 January 2016 - 11:45 PM, said:

The map lead to Luke, not the saber....the saber called to her in Maz's place specifically AND gave her a vision. Maz as much as said it belonged to her.

Yes, because force artefacts could never call to anyone other than a blood relation.... >.>

Shinrei said:

#1231 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:14 AM

You're all completely insane. Every one of ya!

Just kidding.

Except worry, he's nutters.

:)

#1232 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:52 AM

Rey isn't going to be another spontaneous pregnancy because Force balance and midichlorians like Phantom menace, right? Because that would be really bad.

#1233 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:54 AM

I finally got to see it a few days ago and I really enjoyed it. Some issues with it, which have been addressed in this thread already.

Perhaps the single biggest weakness of the whole thing is the immediacy of all the travelling. Whereas in the original films, you had people going from place to place, through hyperspace or whatnot, it seemed to at least take some time. This allowed for things like practicing your skills, learning about what the hel was going on in the wider world, etc. Except in The Force Awakens, The only part of the movie where we are SHOWN time to be passing, is at the beginning, and we see Rey go through a few cycles of scavenging for scrap, getting food, prep food, rinse, repeat. Once she meets bb8, it's a headlong rush to the conclusion.

All it would have needed is a few pauses here and there to show that time is passing and a lot of the complaints about characters suddenly powering up would be easier to take. Now funnily enough, I had no issue with the final showdown between Rey and Kylo. I'm happy to go with her already being a kick ass fighter with a staff, with her eventual calming of her mind and acceptance of the force giving her a speed and power boost against an already weakened opponent. That's what I went with anyway.

The biggest issue I had with the film was the meeting with Maz (or whatever that character's name is). what would have been lost by having a bit more time passing here. The actual screen time wouldn't have had to be much (if any) longer, but spread it out over a few days/weeks while the word is passed on to the rebels (and the order). Then for nice easy exposition, you could've had Maz do a bit of gentle teaching/guidance of Rey (and maybe Finn too) so that everything that follows doesn't seem to come out of the blue. Whether that is gently unlocking her memories (if Rey has had previous training as a child), or just prepping her for actually learning to recognise and channel the force (so that Kylo using the force on her is recognisable to her and she can then begin to replicate it, even fitfully). Instead, they land on the planet, go to the castle, shit happens, Rey has a vision, and then almost immediately, all hell breaks loose. And off we go again. Why the rush?

But the impression I got is that there was plenty of more info there, but it got edited out.

Now I've only seen it once, and I did really enjoy it, however that middle section seemed muddled to me. But overall, it was a great way to reboot the series, acknowledge the past, and move on. The contrasting progression of the Rey and Kylo characters could be excellent, so I'm excited to see where it goes.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#1234 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

View PostRaging Cajun Gator King, on 17 January 2016 - 05:12 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 17 January 2016 - 03:52 AM, said:

Rey isn't going to be another spontaneous pregnancy because Force balance and midichlorians like Phantom menace, right? Because that would be really bad.

Nope there's no way this will be an issue. Mids will probably never be mentioned again under Disney hopefully.

Indeed. Won't be mentioned. Especially because Anakin was a "balance" created by the force for what Palpatine and Darth Plagueis were trying to do by experimenting with prologing their lives by manipulating the force. I doubt we will see that sort of thing again. The Skywalker bloodline already exists, no need to create a new "immaculate force-being".

#1235 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

I really hope #undercoverren is canon.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1236 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

I do sort of wish Rey had stuck the lightsaber on the end of her staff and then kicked Kylo's ass with it. It would have made the fight just a little more believable. It worked well enough, I just think there was a missed opportunity there.
....yes yes, I know a lightsaber would cut the staff part in half, you know what I mean, don't be that guy...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1237 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:19 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 January 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

I do sort of wish Rey had stuck the lightsaber on the end of her staff and then kicked Kylo's ass with it. It would have made the fight just a little more believable. It worked well enough, I just think there was a missed opportunity there.
....yes yes, I know a lightsaber would cut the staff part in half, you know what I mean, don't be that guy...

You know, Kylo Ren could just have cut the staff in half when she tried to block his attack.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1238 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

I just saw a theory I'm curious about.

What if Rey is the child of Ezra Bridger and Sabine from REBELS?

#1239 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:18 PM

I would love a Rebels link.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1240 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:35 PM

View PostTraveller, on 18 January 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

I would love a Rebels link.

It could be a way to have a powerful force user with dead (not coming back) parents who are connected to the mythos.

This could also lead to Lor San Tekka (Max Von Sydow) being a disguise of an older Kanan who was watching over Rey from afar on Jakku as a favour to Ezra.

It's probably wishful thinking, but I'm with you that I'd love to see a REBELS link in the main films.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

45 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 45 guests, 0 anonymous users