• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1201 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:06 PM

For the record, Disney has announced that all Star Wars activity on Tumblr is definitely now canon.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1202 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

View Postprotoclave, on 05 January 2016 - 04:23 PM, said:

i no im coming late to this discusion without reading prior pages but did anyone consider rey might be luke's daughter?

I think so. Her memories of being left as a young girl were probably due to an attempt to hide her from any malicious parties, the same way they hid the fact that Vader also had a daughter.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#1203 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:56 PM

That or maybe she's Obi Wan's granddaughter.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#1204 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:05 AM

I think we can at least all agree that she's somebody's daughter. Let's start there.

#1205 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:43 AM

Obi Wan got laid? Nope.

Died a 68 year old virgin as all monks should. They've been eschewing the tonsure hair tho.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1206 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

View Postamphibian, on 15 January 2016 - 02:43 AM, said:

Obi Wan got laid? Nope.

Died a 68 year old virgin as all monks should. They've been eschewing the tonsure hair tho.

Someone hasn't been watching THE CLONE WARS.

There is canon proof that Obi-Wan had a relationship, probably even a sexual one, with Satine, once leader of Mandalore.

I'm actually very on board with Rey being the the daughter of Luke and a female daughter that Obi-Wan secretly had (either as an older man on Tatooine, or from his time with Satine [and he just was unaware of the child]). Either way, a Skywalker-Kenobi bloodline? That's awesome!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1207 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 January 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 15 January 2016 - 02:43 AM, said:

Obi Wan got laid? Nope.

Someone hasn't been watching THE CLONE WARS.

There is canon proof that Obi-Wan had a relationship, probably even a sexual one, with Satine, once leader of Mandalore.

I'm actually very on board with Rey being the the daughter of Luke and a female daughter that Obi-Wan secretly had (either as an older man on Tatooine, or from his time with Satine [and he just was unaware of the child]). Either way, a Skywalker-Kenobi bloodline? That's awesome!

No, it's a terrible idea and just makes the Luke-super-lineage even more ridiculous. XD

Even a Kenobi relationship is a bit of a cop-out (but much better than a Skywalker).

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1208 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:08 PM

Please leave your fanfiction to the properly segregated EU authors tia
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1209 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:58 AM

Ok, I may have accidentally deleted your post QT (I'm on mobile, the button is right there and has no 'are you sure?' check like the full version), I'll restore it later. XD

But to respond: as I said, I'd be happier with a Kenobi bloodline (the symmetry is ok... It's not exactly amazing though. I mean, that's the most basic of plot symmetry I can think of. >.>), but yes.

I am DEFINITELY a Rey Random supporter. If she turns out to be a Skywalker, I will almost certainly not be happy. I don't care how they try to justify that, it's lazy writing with a horrendous focusing down on the one family that was never that blatant in the past (even the prequels were not bad on this front, with just the obligatory Anakin plot-relevant). It would be a huge misstep, and I think the general opinion follows that. I haven't talked to anyone who wants Rey to be Luke's kid.

Let Ren be the Skywalker link of this generation. Let Rey be someone new and random. Bring the magic of the Force back instead of clinging to the midichlorian bloodline of doom bullshit that Lucas ruined the concept with. XD

The Kenobi thing is about as much as I can accept. Seriously, another Skywalker and I'll be jumping ship and crying foul along with Linear and the rest. Just...no.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1210 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:42 AM

Yeah, if she's anything obvious, she's Luke and Someone's kid. For SURE.

So prepare thyself for disappointment Silencer.

:)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1211 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:48 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2016 - 03:42 AM, said:

Yeah, if she's anything obvious, she's Luke and Someone's kid. For SURE.

So prepare thyself for disappointment Silencer.

:)

I think they'd be doing themsleves a disservice. They spent an entire movie not telling us (i.e. Building suspense). If it's the obvious option that literally *everyone* has seen coming? What a let down. That's just bad film making, too.
No one wants it, it doesn't need to happen, and it will be boring. Why do it? Why waste that opportunity? For some imagined need that the Star Wars universe revolves around Skywalkers? Please.
If there is one complaint that everyone had about this film, it's that it followed the plot and progression of ANH *too* closely - to make Rey a Skywalker in an "I am your father" moment? That would be doing the opposite of breaking out into new territory like we want.

Completely serious, I don't think they're that stupid, and if they are I'm just going to be annoyed. It's a waste of her character.

Shinrei said:

#1212 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:37 AM

View PostRaging Cajun Gator King, on 16 January 2016 - 04:00 AM, said:

The thing is though is that the universe does revolve around the Skywalker line in the Saga films. They are getting around this nexus with the anthology films but any film with an Episode in title will be Skywalker heavy.

Nope. While it's true that the story of the prequels and the OT is the story of the Skywalker family, the mover and shaker on the antagonist side is Palpatine. Anakin is only incidental to the Clone War plot from a geopolitical perspective. Same as Luke is just a hero of the rebellion until it becomes the family affair we see in RotJ.

The Clone Wars and the Rebellion have Skywalkers at the centre of events yes, but they aren't the instigators or the prime actors for most of the events in those stories.

And like I said. Let Ren be the Skywalker lineage. We have that already. He's there. He's of Anakin's blood. Let him be the requisite Skywalker of the universe. There's no need to make Rey one too, except for story symmetry. And that's exactly why it's a good thing that Lucas isn't involved - he would have made Rey be an immaculate conception birthed from Luke somehow, because of his beliefs about the importance of a Skywalker to the universe. But that's not the case any more because he's not involved. We can be free of that rubbish. XD

Shinrei said:

#1213 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

Sil, if you think Rey is not a Skywalker, I feel like you have a REALLY rude awakening coming. She will be.

But yeah, aside from all else I'm not at all sure I understand you're whole (Just let Kylo be the Skywalker, we don't need another) statement. What's so wrong with the conflict partially arising from Rey and Kyo being related (even as cousins). I find that inherantly interesting...and it's not been done before. The power clash is immense, and is coupled with the familial generational links. The storytelling possibilities are huge.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 January 2016 - 02:18 PM

#1214 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2016 - 02:16 PM, said:

Sil, if you think Rey is not a Skywalker, I feel like you have a REALLY rude awakening coming. She will be.

But yeah, aside from all else I'm not at all sure I understand you're whole (Just let Kylo be the Skywalker, we don't need another) statement. What's so wrong with the conflict partially arising from Rey and Kyo being related (even as cousins). I find that inherantly interesting...and it's not been done before. The power clash is immense, and is coupled with the familial generational links. The storytelling possibilities are huge.

It's not been done before? It's only likely *because* it's been done before. As I said, it's boring and predictable. There's nothing interesting about it, nothing new to be gained.
Heck, it undermines Rey's character. If she's a Skywalker, she's no longer a strong female character, she's just a vessel for the all-powerful Skywalker midichlorians to be central to the universe. It'd ruin her.

You know that Mary Sue debate we had earlier where I was totally on the same side as you? If she's a Skywalker, she's a Mary Sue of the worst kind. 'Long hidden bloodline' is a cliche trope in and of itself, and for a new, awesome character full of potential like Rey, it would reduce the plot to the level of fanfiction.
I'm dead serious: it would be the worst decision they could make.

Shinrei said:

#1215 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:30 PM

Basically, this article: http://www.theverge....y-jedi-kylo-ren

See? I'm not the only one. And pretty much everyone I've talked to (save yourself) is in the same boat.

Shinrei said:

#1216 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

I'd go visit the force.net...most star was fans feel she's a Skywalker...and that there is nothing wrong with that.

Also, the fact that Anakin's/Luke's light saber went to her is not a coincidence man. Not even remotely.

#1217 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

If Rey is Luke's daughter, I'm siding with Hasbro after all.

#1218 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:25 PM

Considering all the original ideas this movie exploded with, there's no way she was a Skywalker left on a desert planet.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 16 January 2016 - 11:25 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1219 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:34 PM

I seriously can't believe that with the proof of the Skywalker family light saber being in her hands tha this is even up for discussion. She's Luke's daughter.

#1220 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 January 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

I'd go visit the force.net...most star was fans feel she's a Skywalker...and that there is nothing wrong with that.

Also, the fact that Anakin's/Luke's light saber went to her is not a coincidence man. Not even remotely.

TheForce.net is the uber-hardcore fandom, dude. Most 'Star Wars fans' = like half the planet. XD isn't TFN the place where people had a collective nervous breakdown over the loss of the EU? XD it's in no way more representative of the fandom than literally everyone else on the internet. :)

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

25 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users