• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#2481 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:36 AM

Disney needs to make a show from palpatinea POV. The idea of a guy starting a galactic scale civil war and secretly leading both sides so he can get people more and more comfortable with military control before just declaring himself emperor. It’s actually an amazing plot. The problem is the clone wars is plaid straight, that the Jedi are heroes fighting the good fight but 99% of their actions are them just being pawns if you really think about it.

Bad batch was decent. I find clown wars often too childish to really enjoy but bad batch’s first episode minus the opening was pretty good.

#2482 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:35 AM

View PostCause, on 05 May 2021 - 12:36 AM, said:

Disney needs to make a show from palpatinea POV. The idea of a guy starting a galactic scale civil war and secretly leading both sides so he can get people more and more comfortable with military control before just declaring himself emperor. It's actually an amazing plot. The problem is the clone wars is plaid straight, that the Jedi are heroes fighting the good fight but 99% of their actions are them just being pawns if you really think about it.

Bad batch was decent. I find clown wars often too childish to really enjoy but bad batch's first episode minus the opening was pretty good.

There is the old EU novel, Darth Plagueis, which starts with the pov of Plaguies but midway through switches to Palpatine as the protagonist and you get to see how he manipulated things right up to the ending of The Phantom Menace.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#2483 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 May 2021 - 01:12 PM

THE BAD BATCH episode 1

Yeah, this was completely excellent.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 May 2021 - 01:14 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2484 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 05 May 2021 - 01:36 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 May 2021 - 03:44 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 May 2021 - 03:20 PM, said:

I'm certainly interested... I'm thinking I should probably watch things like Rebels and Clone Wars...

TCW and REBELS are both excellent. TCW took what the prequels made story-wise/idea wise, and made a phenomenally written 7 season tv show out of it, filling in the gap between ATOC and ROTS. TCW actively makes the prequels BETTER just by dint of fleshing out everything at play in those films. The final 4 episode arc of TCW can actually be watched in tandem with ROTS and it all fits together (I think someone even edited them together on YouTube?).

And REBELS is stunning bridging material from the Prequels/TCW to the OT-era, and features appearances by people like Leia, and Lando in small roles, but focuses on a smaller group of Rebels who existed just as the Rebellion against the empire is gaining traction in shadowy groups. It also features a young boy who was born the same day as Luke, who grows up and joins that small faction as they fight against the Empire.

Both shows are very much worth your time if you are in any way interested in SW content, and honestly I think are two of the best pieces of SW media that exist.

EDIT: You'll also recognize people from MANDO, like Ahsoka, and Bo Katan, both of whom make their first appearances in The Clone Wars.

I will back QT up on this; I completely agree with his post. I had never paid the animated series much mind up until a couple/few years ago. I think we actually took my daughter to see the Clone Wars animated "movie" in the theater because they introduced the young Ahsoka Tano, who became her favorite character and mine. But I didn't follow up with the rest of the CW series until much later. It seems very daunting to take on if you plan to watch every ep but when this show hits its best, it is more than worth it. The CW series is the story of Ahsoka, in many ways, but I found that it will make you appreciate and even love Anakin. His story gets so much fleshing out that the Anakin of just the prequels is barely a shadow of the real him. And the final 4 eps of the final CW season are literally a 4 part movie, totally intertwined with RotS. Those episodes and what they add to RotS almost completely changed my opinion of that movie. Not to mention one of the greatest lightsaber duels ever, imo, takes place in those final 4 CW eps. And the closing scenes, just wow.

As to Rebels, I know that some think CW is the better series but I love Rebels just as much. Being able to binge both shows at any pace you want helps erase the irritation when you hit the seemingly "filler" eps, and both shows do have some. But again, the high points of Rebels are so awesome its hard to believe an animated show can pull it off. I was amazed at the emotional impact these shows can produce. I think CW and Rebels add so much to the SW universe that when I talk to or hear others talking SW and they haven't seen the 2 animated series, my brain starts yelling "you have no idea how much more there is! You're missing some of the best content!" I usually try to tell them so, less bluntly, lol.

#2485 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 05 May 2021 - 01:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 May 2021 - 01:12 PM, said:

THE BAD BATCH episode 1

Spoiler

Spoiler

I wasn't expecting to really be pulled in to a show about clone troopers, for the most part, even this group. But I probably should've known better; Dave Filoni rarely, if ever disappoints. I'm in.

#2486 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:16 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 05 May 2021 - 01:36 PM, said:

As to Rebels, But again, the high points of Rebels are so awesome its hard to believe an animated show can pull it off. I was amazed at the emotional impact these shows can produce.

Case in point: the episodes TWIN SUNS and JEDI NIGHT are two of the most stunning and emotionally affecting pieces of MEDIA I've ever watched, never mind just Star Wars media.

View Postparan falcon, on 05 May 2021 - 01:52 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 May 2021 - 01:12 PM, said:

THE BAD BATCH episode 1

Spoiler

Spoiler

I wasn't expecting to really be pulled in to a show about clone troopers, for the most part, even this group. But I probably should've known better; Dave Filoni rarely, if ever disappoints. I'm in.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 May 2021 - 03:20 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2487 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:58 PM

[/quote]

Case in point: the episodes TWIN SUNS and JEDI NIGHT are two of the most stunning and emotionally affecting pieces of MEDIA I've ever watched, never mind just Star Wars.

[/quote]

AGREED. Honorable mention: Twilight of the Apprentice and the final ep.

#2488 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:29 PM

The only thing I disliked about the episode was that
Spoiler
Other than that, yes it was a good episode and I'm curious to see where they are going with this.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#2489 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 May 2021 - 06:44 PM

I forgot to say, i noticed it immediately and it’s not really subtle. The bad batch are all to varying degrees notably whiter than the regular jango fet clones. Yes they are variants on the template but I feel like this was just a market testing decision.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Cause: 05 May 2021 - 06:46 PM

#2490 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:10 PM

View PostCause, on 05 May 2021 - 06:44 PM, said:

I forgot to say, i noticed it immediately and it’s not really subtle. The bad batch are all to varying degrees notably whiter than the regular jango fet clones. Yes they are variants on the template but I feel like this was just a market testing decision.

They are not. Hunter, Tech, Crosshair, and Wrecker all have the same general colouring as Rex and the other Clones on TCW, Echo is pale because he is an Albino variation on the Jango Clone DNA (look at his eyes, they give it away).

Also, I'm not sure how you see these dudes

Attached File  TBB.jpg (144.06K)
Number of downloads: 0

And say they are whiter than this dude...

Attached File  Clone-Wars-Rex-and-Commander-Cody-in-Revenge-of-the-Sith.jpg (114.67K)
Number of downloads: 0

From a strictly technical level, the shading on any of then Jango clones is almost certainly a texture in the database they use to skin them all from a colour grading angle. Anything else would be beyond not economical production-wise.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 May 2021 - 07:11 PM

#2491 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:16 PM

Disney plus won’t let me take a screenshot. The mess scene 24:44 I see a difference

#2492 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:01 PM

View PostCause, on 05 May 2021 - 07:16 PM, said:

Disney plus won’t let me take a screenshot. The mess scene 24:44 I see a difference

The textures for colour and shading are set. They don’t change them.

#2493 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:11 PM

What are you talking about? Even the 5 clones are not all the same color. Echo is the palest. Crosshairs and tech are in the middle. Wrecker is darker.

The fact they were black and the other clones wear white might explain some of the difference but a google search shows I’m not alone in seeing this.

#2494 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:29 PM

View PostCause, on 05 May 2021 - 11:11 PM, said:

What are you talking about? Even the 5 clones are not all the same color. Echo is the palest. Crosshairs and tech are in the middle. Wrecker is darker.

The fact they were black and the other clones wear white might explain some of the difference but a google search shows I’m not alone in seeing this.

So you think they purposely changed the colour shading on EXISTING Clone templates for the 3D models to be whiter...to what end? That would be a big task for what purpose?

Nah, you’re imagining it bro.

#2495 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:20 AM

Why do you think this would be so expensive, have you noticed the clones also look different? They have the ability to draw different things, use different colors.

#2496 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:34 AM

View PostCause, on 06 May 2021 - 12:20 AM, said:

Why do you think this would be so expensive, have you noticed the clones also look different? They have the ability to draw different things, use different colors.

The clones vary as much as they did on TCW where these characters were introduced...which is not a lot and only for differentiation.

You literally implied some nefarious racist whitening of them in this...and I showed you a pic of them mostly matching Rex.

#2497 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:06 AM

The style sort of reminds me of Team Fortress 2.

#2498 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:12 AM

huh, I Bing'd Team Fortress 2 and The Bad Batch. There's a Reddit where someone thinks the same.

https://www.reddit.c...eam_fortress_2/

#2499 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:33 PM

I'm going to start watching the Clone Wars series soon, am I right in thinking it takes place between Ep II and Ep III? Is it worth watching So II again or will it be easy enough to catch up with?

I mean, worth watching aside from the fact that SW movies are always worth watching B)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2500 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:43 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 May 2021 - 07:33 PM, said:

I'm going to start watching the Clone Wars series soon, am I right in thinking it takes place between Ep II and Ep III? Is it worth watching So II again or will it be easy enough to catch up with?

I mean, worth watching aside from the fact that SW movies are always worth watching B)

Yes, the CW series begins at the end of Attack of the Clones. Whether you need to watch Eps I and II again depends on how much you like them and how familiar you are with them. If you've seen them more than once, you probably don't NEED to watch the movies again first.

Also, if you do a quick search, you can find a chronological list of the CW episodes, plus the animated CW "movie" that introduces Ahsoka. For some reason, some episodes were not ordered chronologically. It makes a difference in some places.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users