• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#2421 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:37 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 09 September 2020 - 07:07 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 September 2020 - 03:52 PM, said:

This is the problem with the lack of planning the ST out as an actual trilogy, as opposed to three separate movies where they throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks. There was no end goal to seek aside from 'good guys win, bad guys lose'.

I mean, Abrams HAD planned out an outline of a trilogy. Johnson ignored it all in TLJ, and we ended up with what we got.

Yes. It's funny how that piece of news got buried when it dropped (about the outline being ignored).

I think the bottom line is this:

JJ and Kasdan were making Film 1 in a new Star Wars series.

Rian Johnson was ALSO wanting/trying to make Film 1 in a new Star Wars series.

They both act like the first instalment, just from different angles.

And when you realize that RJ was writing TLJ when TFA had yet to be finished, let alone screened for anyone...you see that as totally true for what RJ had planned as a first instalment rather than a middle (which smacks HARD of the guys arrogance; but that's another story). To the point where JJ had Luke floating boulders in his original end scene when Rey finds him (AKA NOT shut off from the force or Jedi)...to RJ asking him to change that at the last minute because it conflicted with his WHOLE premise about Luke...like that's the level of disconnect...he wrote his film without consulting the guy who wrote part 1.

I will say that JJ made his own mistakes in TFA:

- Rey didn't need to be anyone. She could have just been a new Jedi. We didn't need the parentage mystery box. That said, once it was ESTABLISHED in TFA, RJ should not have thrown that out in TLJ. So they are both at fault there.
- Boyega should have also been a Jedi. I THINK JJ had planned it, but it should have been more obvious.
- Empire VS Rebels 2.0 was STU-PID.
- Death Star 3 was stupid. I get his logic for why he did it, but it was still stupid.

I still don't know why they didn't do a modified-for-time Thrawn trilogy...like the structure and layout was there, and it just required some tweaks for adult kids ect.

They had the template for a great sequel trilogy in those books, and ignored the fuck out of it to redux the OT.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 September 2020 - 07:38 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2422 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:22 PM

I was looking through the SW content on Disney today, and realised that - if the sequel trilogy wasnt there.. I really wouldn't miss it.

You know, like if it just hadn't been made. The rest of the content I just love for different reasons. The prequels just added SO much more to the universe, in a good way.

The sequels - closed it down. There were some good moments in there, but.... yeah, if they weren't there I wouldn't miss them. I'd be happy with RotJ as the end.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 September 2020 - 07:24 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2423 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:43 PM

View PostTraveller, on 23 September 2020 - 07:22 PM, said:

I was looking through the SW content on Disney today, and realised that - if the sequel trilogy wasnt there.. I really wouldn't miss it.

You know, like if it just hadn't been made. The rest of the content I just love for different reasons. The prequels just added SO much more to the universe, in a good way.

The sequels - closed it down. There were some good moments in there, but.... yeah, if they weren't there I wouldn't miss them. I'd be happy with RotJ as the end.

Yep.

And as much as I love MANDO....how much is it really adding TO the universe. It's playing in the sandbox but not really pushing things forward.

The next sequence of films need to jump a few hundred years in the future...just so it can be genuinely new and do new things with new characters.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2424 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:28 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 September 2020 - 07:43 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 23 September 2020 - 07:22 PM, said:

Yep.

And as much as I love MANDO....how much is it really adding TO the universe. It's playing in the sandbox but not really pushing things forward.

The next sequence of films need to jump a few hundred years in the future...just so it can be genuinely new and do new things with new characters.

Well I love Mando too. It's a fine addition imo, and works without the sequel trilogy. I'd just like more tv series like this, set in the existing timeline.

It was just a weird moment, realising that the new movies haven't added anything significant, and that the rest of the content is just fine without them.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 September 2020 - 08:36 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2425 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:39 PM

View PostTraveller, on 23 September 2020 - 08:28 PM, said:

Well I love Mando too. It's a fine addition imo, and works without the sequel trilogy. I'd just like more tv series like this, set in the existing timeline.

It was just a weird moment, realising that the new movies haven't added anything significant, and that the rest of the content is just fine without them.

Yep, I agree with you.

#2426 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:20 AM

I'm sorry,a Taika Waititi Star Wars film??

https://www.gamesrad...lming-scotland/
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2427 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 November 2020 - 12:03 AM

David Prowse, the actor who originally played the physical role of Darth Vader has died.

His movie son sent out a nice tweet: https://twitter.com/...978308976295936

#2428 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 December 2020 - 03:45 PM

So the Disney / Lucasfilm shareholders meeting is this afternoon and word is we will get the full sched of future content announced.

Things we will probably get mentioned/announced:

- Kenobi production notes, POSSIBLY casting beyond Ewan. All we know is it takes place 8 years after ROTS and is 8 episodes and done.

- Mandalorian Season 3. I mean this is a forgone conclusion, but it's not been announced yet so I expect it to be.

- Animated show set during The (new) High Republic era. This is just rumoured at this point, but it's kind of a no-brainer as Disney SW is putting a LOT into the new setting. I'm all for it!

- The Bad Batch Animated show (probably more info on the CW spinoff show).

Things I'd like to see mentioned, but have no idea about

- The Future of the movies. I expect them to be aiming this at The High Republic era as well. With that new setting they finally have a shot at making the Disney version of SW do what it should do...in a new setting, with new characters, and a whole new state of the galaxy....and steering well clear of the PT OT and ST eras.

- The Taika Waititi film, whatever it's going to be. I'm here for it. That man is a genius.

- Possible live action show set between ROTJ and TFA starring Sebastian Stan as young Luke, Alden Eherenreich reprising young Han, and maybe Millie Bobbie Brown as young Leia? I feel like they will explore this era...I actually feel like Sebastian Stan is alreayd going to play Luke and will show up on MANDO Season finale to train Grogu....and maybe Grogu is part of the Jedi academy that Ben Solo eventually burns. Either way, this is a cool idea and an era people are curious about.

#2429 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 December 2020 - 04:13 PM

View PostBriar King, on 10 December 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

Wait the Sebastian thing is real?! I saw what I took to be a fan meme of him in a robe!

So he has the Hamill Stamp of approval from a long time ago. He LOOKS the part hardcore. And he's been really cagey about it when asked which leads me to wonder if he's already shot his part. And he already works for Disney + with F&TWS tv show. Both shows shoot in America. And think about it, you put him inn as a cameo in the end of MANDO and he can spinoff into a future show...in between shooting F&TWS S2 or whatever.

It might not happen, and it might be Cal Kestis or Ezra who come for Grogu....but still. A Jedi Is coming, and the only known ones in this era are Luke, Cal Kestis, and Ezra...and Ezra is still lost as far as we know.

#2430 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:40 PM

The only thing I care about is the Waititi film because everything that man touches is gold.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2431 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 December 2020 - 04:13 PM, said:

Wait the Sebastian thing is real?! I saw what I took to be a fan meme of him in a robe!

So he has the Hamill Stamp of approval from a long time ago. He LOOKS the part hardcore. And he's been really cagey about it when asked which leads me to wonder if he's already shot his part. And he already works for Disney + with F&TWS tv show. Both shows shoot in America. And think about it, you put him inn as a cameo in the end of MANDO and he can spinoff into a future show...in between shooting F&TWS S2 or whatever.

It might not happen, and it might be Cal Kestis or Ezra who come for Grogu....but still. A Jedi Is coming, and the only known ones in this era are Luke, Cal Kestis, and Ezra...and Ezra is still lost as far as we know.

I saw side by sides of younger Hamill and Sebastian Stan and was STUNNED how much they look alike. Seems like pretty perfect casting to me.

Is there no confirmation at all of the rumored Rebels sequel, be it animated or live action? I still want that more than anything else you mentioned, QT.

#2432 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 December 2020 - 12:35 AM

View Postparan falcon, on 10 December 2020 - 08:45 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 December 2020 - 04:13 PM, said:

I saw side by sides of younger Hamill and Sebastian Stan and was STUNNED how much they look alike. Seems like pretty perfect casting to me.

Is there no confirmation at all of the rumored Rebels sequel, be it animated or live action? I still want that more than anything else you mentioned, QT.

As far as I know, the rebels sequel series is still a go.

#2433 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 December 2020 - 01:08 AM

I stand corrected. The sched is this

MANDALORIAN S3 comes xmas 2021

RANGERS OF THE NEW REPUBLIC set in the Mandalorian timeline

AHSOKA spin-off series set in the Mandalorian timeline a featuring Rosario Dawson in the lead.

These two new shows will interweave their storylines with MANDO and the three stories will eventually culminate in a big crossover film event.

OBI-WAN KENOBI, 8 eps limited series. As well as Ewan coming back as Kenobi, It will feature the return of Hayden Christiansen as Vader, and Temura Morrison as Commander Cody. Set 10 years after ROTS.

THE BAD BATCH - animated spinoff of TCW, and MANDO’s Fennec Shand will move to this show.

LANDO - not sure if this is live action or animated, from the DEAR WHITE PEOPLE creator.

ROGUE SQUADRON Tv series, Patty Jenkins is doing this one!

ANDOR - ROGUE ONE spinoff series about Cassian Andor and K 2 SO.

ACOLYTE - Late High Republic era, mystery thriller about the reemergence of the dark side....I’m assuming early sith?

#2434 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 December 2020 - 01:22 AM

I’m excited about any and all High Republic stuff, so yeah ACOLYTE sounds awesome to me too!

I’m more jazzed Hayden is returning as Vader in KENOBI!

#2435 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:52 AM

View PostBriar King, on 11 December 2020 - 01:17 AM, said:

Least excited about Bad Batch and Cassain. I down right don't care about them. Probably most excited for Acolyte actually. I'm hoping it's a movie so we can get the proper thread going again. It's been Who Da Fuq Knows Now for wayyyyy to long since I edited it after Solo.

I have to agree. The other shows range from sounding interesting to something I will absolutely and most definitely watch. But these two? At the moment, at least, I don't care even a little.

Why? It's not that I did not like the "Bad Batch" group, but they just seemed, at least to me, as something that has been done to death before. And Cassian? I thought his character was really cool in Rogue One, a movie I absolutely love. But I also kind of feel that Cassian should stay in Rogue One, because his story does not need to be expanded upon.

Shows I will be watching;

Mandalorian, obviously!
Acolyte, sounds pretty good.
Rogue Squadron? As long as it's not like Resistance I will be there.
Rangers? Yeah, definitely.
Lando? Sure, I like Lando.
Ahsoka? Very likely that I will watch that. But I was never the biggest fan of hers.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#2436 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 11 December 2020 - 11:50 AM

Bad Batch trailer showed post Order 66 stuff so that might be interesting. The Cassian stuff could be cool if they focus more on the spy stuff. Show us the shady stuff that he was ashamed of.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#2437 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 December 2020 - 02:40 PM

View PostGarak, on 11 December 2020 - 11:50 AM, said:

Bad Batch trailer showed post Order 66 stuff so that might be interesting. The Cassian stuff could be cool if they focus more on the spy stuff. Show us the shady stuff that he was ashamed of.

Not just that, but we see Fennec Shand from MANDO in it...so we get to see her past clearly. I'm not super excited for it, but I'm interested enough in it.

Also, the AHSOKA logo SEEMS to have the World Between Worlds designs behind it...so I'm curious what's going on there.

As to ANDOR....I LOVE Diego Luna and think K2SO is one of the best droids in the SW universe, so I'm definitely watching...but I get why everyone would not be down for that show.

#2438 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 December 2020 - 02:56 PM

View PostBriar King, on 11 December 2020 - 01:47 AM, said:

I’m curious about that. Surely we will get a flashback or something cause I don’t really care about Hayden in Vader suit to much. I would also expect a ESB unmasked in a chamber style scene. I would really fucking hope they don’t wrangle in a meeting of the two either and yet I kinda fear they would...Vader in ANH: “I sense something. A presence I’ve not felt sense..” turns away and rushes to Tarkin. They may decide they can try and play with that line. Mustafar better remain their last encounter till ANH.

Sorry man.

Ewan said "The best thing about this series is that Hayden and I get to work together again, and we will take another swing at each other before the series is over"

But to be fair, the dialogue in ANH is WELL open to interpretation. "I sense a presence I've not felt since..." that since could be any amount of time. So it's 10 years ago and some planet (it WON'T be Tatooine, too close to Luke) and not 20 years and Mustafar.

Kat Kennedy called it "The rematch of the Century" and honestly, I'm HERE for it.

Since Vader found out that Jedi like Ahsoka lived and stuff like that, he certainly would expect that Obi-Wan escaped since he never killed him or had him killed. So he knows he's out there.

And to be honest, this is a chance to seal a long running joke out of canon...the notion that Tatooine was a stupid place to hide Luke and Obi-Wan. They can use this show to establish that Tatooine holds FAR too much pain for Vader and possibly a pull to the light through Anakin still in him to EVER go to. My guess is we will learn that Vader tacitly AVOIDS Tatooine on purpose.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 11 December 2020 - 03:02 PM

#2439 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 12 December 2020 - 04:41 AM

Rogue Squadon MOVIE.

Hells. Yeah.

Hells Yeah!

HELLSYEAH!!!!

I want me some WEDGE FUCKING ANTILLES!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#2440 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:22 AM

View PostBriar King, on 18 December 2020 - 04:02 AM, said:

OG Boba Fett/Imperial Officer actor died.

Jeremy Bulloch? Bummer. :(

Apparently they even replaced Fett's original voice (Jason Wingreen) with Temuera Morrison's on the remastered movies to maintian continuity so I guess nothing of the original Fett remains.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 18 December 2020 - 04:23 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users