• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#2401 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:38 AM

View PostBriar King, on 01 April 2020 - 10:21 PM, said:

You can see a tank with 3
Spoiler
in it.

There’s also the line of dialogue: My boy, I have been every voice you’ve ever heard in your head. As Palps, Snoke, and Vader.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2402 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:33 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 April 2020 - 01:38 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 01 April 2020 - 10:21 PM, said:

You can see a tank with 3
Spoiler
in it.

There’s also the line of dialogue: My boy, I have been every voice you’ve ever heard in your head. As Palps, Snoke, and Vader.

Yeah I got those two; when I watched the movie though I assumed the Ripley-esque Snokes were failed puppets and the one that had appeared in the previous movies was created by him, but was still sort of autonomous - with the voices in Ben's head being that of Palps. Didnt really see Snoke as entirely Palpatine possessing a body until yesterday. I guess his fashion sense alone should have done it, Steve always did like a fancy costume!
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2403 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:49 PM

"another clone he referred to as his 'son', who went AWOL and fathered Rey"

Wow, this is stupid. Glad I chose not to watch this film.

#2404 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:19 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 02 April 2020 - 12:49 PM, said:

"another clone he referred to as his 'son', who went AWOL and fathered Rey"

Wow, this is stupid. Glad I chose not to watch this film.

I mean, the silly things in this movie do not include this bit. The idea that the Emperor had a clone who went rogue on him and was too human and good to be the evil puppet he needed to eventually inhabit (it shows Anakin's turn as the fluke it really was; I bet that Palpy assumed that anyone he "taught" would turn since he turned such a hero into the bad guy and that theory failed hard)...is actually really cool and I wish they'd explored it more...and Rey's mother being Jodie Comer (from KILLING EVE) makes me wish even more we'd seen more of them. It also fits the "parents left her on Jakku alone" narrative from the angle of "keep her safe from her grandfather's evil machinations". Like it's not perfect, but it works as a reason for Rey being on Jakku more than pretty much anything else I can think of, especially being left with someone like Unkar Plutt.

And I'll say it again, I don't hate Rey Skywalker (adopted name) AT ALL. There are tones of people raised by/influenced by adopted family who take the surnames of those adoptive parents. Luke and Leia are the closest she had to someone since she was six years old and abandoned without a reason why...I would take that name too.

Also, just to add into things I love about this movie? That little blue/green activator light that spins briefly around the top of the hilt of her yellow saber at the end...I ADORE that little attention to detail. It's so tiny, but it's so cool.

Scene:

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 April 2020 - 01:29 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2405 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 02 April 2020 - 04:59 PM

I'm quite relieved they went the clone route as that was what he was always into - he frequently took things for experimentation throughout the Clone Wars, and obviously created an entire army that way.

Makes much more sense for him to have made an attempt at cloning himself than it would to have had any sort of natural relationship - that would have been truly unbelievable in that character in every way.

I'm still not sure how it explains Rey seeing her parents leaving in that ship though when its owner was sent to find her. Unless they panic-dumped her on Plutt before getting caught, and then dieda sa result of never giving up where she was?

This post has been edited by Traveller: 02 April 2020 - 05:06 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2406 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:15 PM

View PostTraveller, on 02 April 2020 - 04:59 PM, said:

Makes much more sense for him to have made an attempt at cloning himself than it would to have had any sort of natural relationship - that would have been truly unbelievable in that character in every way.

Exactly this. I recall io9 making a whole article about "Palpatine Must Have Fucked"...and most of the sensible "It's probably through cloning" comments were roundly dismissed...becuase the notion that he had sex was more lascivious for clicks....meanwhile the clone theory made an absolute shitonne of logical sense.

#2407 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:19 PM

Been getting caught up on current events and I came across some sad news reporting that the actor who played General Ematt in TLJ and TFA has died from COVID-19.

https://starwars.fan...ki/Caluan_Ematt

https://star-wars-ca...ki/Caluan_Ematt

The article said he lived on one of the oldest working houseboats on the Thames.

#2408 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:42 AM

Happy Star Wars Day.

Well, well, well.

http://www.bbc.com/c...ck-is-overrated

"Why The Empire Strikes Back is overrated".

Heresy? Wisdom? A bit of both?
Made me think a bit, at least.

EDIT:
Here's another one to twist your tail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...er-need-sequels

"Why Star Wars should have stopped at just one film".

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 May 2020 - 08:50 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2409 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:42 AM

Ever since the sequels dropped, there are entities in the media who try to bring down EMPIRE from its mythic status. They are wrong and stupid. And their motives are suspect anyways.

The clone wars finale was excellent!

And now we will re-watch TROS today!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 May 2020 - 10:43 AM

#2410 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:07 PM

Watched episode IX for the first time since I saw it in the cinema. I like it. Daisy Ridly is a terrible actor still but I liked it anyway. I'm a fan of Kylo Ren but that may only be because Lucas screwed it so bad writing Anakin going dark side.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2411 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:58 PM

So... Here's a lot of words that sound like there could be news afoot but actually say very little...

https://movieweb.com...e-dates-disney/
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2412 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:47 PM

I mean....

#2413 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:22 PM

John Boyega’s GQ interview. Lots of worthy stuff here about him and acting as a POC and the struggles associated in the industry as a whole....He also dives into Star Wars a little more specifically.

Anyways, worth a read for all the content, but some relevant Star Wars stuff as well which is why I posted it here.

But I don’t think this is meant to relitigate sequels, even though he’s quite frank about them, but is more about his experience as a POC in a big tent pole franchise and how that affected him, and I think that’s what’s best to take from it.

https://www.gq-magaz...-interview-2020

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 September 2020 - 03:00 AM

#2414 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:35 PM

It's a great interview - thanks for the link!

Trending on Twitter today is an interview with Daisy Ridley confirming that who Rey was changed over and over again (was going to be Obi Wan's granddaughter, was going to be genuinely nobody) and Adam Driver only filmed the dialogue for the Palpatine reveal three weeks before the premiere.

I mean, it's not surprising and kind of just confirms a lot of what was going wrong, but *sigh*.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 09 September 2020 - 03:35 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#2415 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:52 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 09 September 2020 - 03:35 PM, said:

Trending on Twitter today is an interview with Daisy Ridley confirming that who Rey was changed over and over again (was going to be Obi Wan's granddaughter, was going to be genuinely nobody) and Adam Driver only filmed the dialogue for the Palpatine reveal three weeks before the premiere.

I mean, it's not surprising and kind of just confirms a lot of what was going wrong, but *sigh*.

I saw this. It's not at all surprising. It's not even surprising that Rey Palpatine wasn't even confirmed until after they started shooting TROS.

This is the problem with the lack of planning the ST out as an actual trilogy, as opposed to three separate movies where they throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks. There was no end goal to seek aside from 'good guys win, bad guys lose'.

I have no idea why they thought that because the OT was made without a plan and miraculously worked, that the same miracle would bear fruit by doing it deliberately...like what even is going on?

#2416 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:27 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 September 2020 - 03:52 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 09 September 2020 - 03:35 PM, said:

I saw this. It's not at all surprising. It's not even surprising that Rey Palpatine wasn't even confirmed until after they started shooting TROS.

This is the problem with the lack of planning the ST out as an actual trilogy, as opposed to three separate movies where they throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks. There was no end goal to seek aside from 'good guys win, bad guys lose'.

I have no idea why they thought that because the OT was made without a plan and miraculously worked, that the same miracle would bear fruit by doing it deliberately...like what even is going on?

Money.
We has it. They wants it.
Too many of they gets a say in how they try to get it. And too many of they are idiots who think we're all idiots.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2417 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:58 PM

Still haven’t watched the new one. Still not going too.

Because fuck’em and their shitty movies, that’s why.

Yes I know no one asked for this opinion for the 317th time, but I’m still salty.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#2418 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:21 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 09 September 2020 - 05:58 PM, said:

Still haven’t watched the new one. Still not going too.

Because fuck’em and their shitty movies, that’s why.

Yes I know no one asked for this opinion for the 317th time, but I’m still salty.

I liked the 3rd movie, but I'd be kidding if I didn't also think it was a Frankenstein story trying to fix all the stuff wrong with the real culprit in the trilogy... which we both hate, and that's TLJ.

So I support your saltiness sir!

#2419 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:25 PM

But The Force Awakens was so good. And then Rogue One! And then... then... then!

Posted Image
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#2420 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:07 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 September 2020 - 03:52 PM, said:

I mean, Abrams HAD planned out an outline of a trilogy. Johnson ignored it all in TLJ, and we ended up with what we got.
meh. Link was dead :(

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users