• Group: LHTEC

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hell, Nolan's done with Batman.......
meh. Link was dead :(

#82 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

Oh my god, a Nolan directed Star Wars? I just creamed my trousers.

But I doubt he'd work with Disney. Seems like they'd want too much control for him.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 01 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

#83 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 October 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

And "good" is subjective. Those people who like Justin Beiber and One Direction believe that they are good...how is your opinion of "good" any better or worse than theirs? It's their joy, they are entitled to it, just as you are entitled to yours.

:The Force:

Of course. Everything is subjective, nothing has meaning. There is no objectivity. Justin Bieber has sold more records than Bach, so really, isn't Justin Bieber better than Bach? Really? When you think about it? Who cares about genius, talent, meaning? Everything must be sterile, objective, meaningless. People objected to Kant on the grounds that his was the last word in rationality and it ended on a sour note; it has long since been accepted that there is no adequate response, that the Kantian, rational ideal leads only to nihilism.

But, after all, there's no formula stating that Bach's fugues are any better than Justin Bieber's Baby. So, really, when you think about it, they're not. It can't be proven scientifically, and that's the last word in anything, right?

Right?

#84 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:55 AM

Lightsabers good. Space battles good.

Wooden dialogue bad. Jar Jar bad.

I've got a $$$$$$$$$$$$$ about this.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#85 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

Opening battle was a rescue mission, not an all out war for lots of those ships.

Always helps to have a death star blowing ships up to heighten expectations.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#86 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

Anyone else expecting a Chewbacca and Jar-Jar cop buddy movie?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#87 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

View PostBriar King, on 01 November 2012 - 04:24 AM, said:

Was anyone else dissatisfied with Siths opening space battle like I was? Sure it looked great but it was mostly a theme park type ride following the 2 fighters except the brief moments with the troopers loading the battiers and Grevious doing a bit of ordering the droids. I wanted the Jedi style battle where they had multiple povs Ackbar, Piet, Lando, Wedge...

My problem with the opening of the space battle was that we had no idea who General Grievous was at the start of the movie, had never heard his name mentioned before the movie, and ended up learning virtually nothing about him by the end. The same thing happened with Dooku, so there was absolutely zero reason to care about anything that was happening. Plus, the whole buzz droid thing was boring.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#88 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Robots with kiddie voices saying "ouch" when they took a hit was awesome though.
No?
Well at least with Disney that won't be happe....

Oh

#89 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostPOOPOO MCBUMFACE, on 01 November 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

And "good" is subjective. Those people who like Justin Beiber and One Direction believe that they are good...how is your opinion of "good" any better or worse than theirs? It's their joy, they are entitled to it, just as you are entitled to yours.

:p

Of course. Everything is subjective, nothing has meaning. There is no objectivity. Justin Bieber has sold more records than Bach, so really, isn't Justin Bieber better than Bach? Really? When you think about it? Who cares about genius, talent, meaning? Everything must be sterile, objective, meaningless. People objected to Kant on the grounds that his was the last word in rationality and it ended on a sour note; it has long since been accepted that there is no adequate response, that the Kantian, rational ideal leads only to nihilism.

But, after all, there's no formula stating that Bach's fugues are any better than Justin Bieber's Baby. So, really, when you think about it, they're not. It can't be proven scientifically, and that's the last word in anything, right?

Right?

This may surprise you, some people LOATHE not only Bach, but all classical music. I'm not one of them...but they are out there.

Seriously, who cares what the supposed quality or lackthereof of someone like Beiber's music is, there is an entire generation who think it's the best thing ever. And nothing we old folks have to say about that will ever change that fact.

I'm certainly not going to try to steal their joy by telling them how bad he is. Just leave them to their enjoyment, and if you disagree then move on to something you enjoy. Easy Peasy.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#90 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

View PostMacros, on 31 October 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

Justin bieber and one direction make crazy bank.
This does not make them good qt.

Edit for autocorrect.

92% of critics and 96% of audiences disagree with you Macros. :p

http://www.rottentom...s_the_avengers/

Hey, you are freely entitled to dislike AVENGERS, but considering the praise the film earned across the board from critics and audiences alike as I stated earlier, you are merely in the minority.

:p

76% of the audience liked the second Transformers movie. Over 50% of the movie going public doesn't watch documentaries, bio-pics or anything with less than twenty explosions or gunshots per hour. 66% of a movie theatre emptied when the sneak-preview turned out to be Amour (Cannes winner) instead of Skyfall. Under 1% of movie-goers bother to vote on Rotten Tomatoes. Amongst those who do not, are almost 99,9% of the people who's opinion I respect. 87% of Rotten Tomatoes is focused on Anglo-Saxon releases.
14% of the numbers I named above were not made up on the fly, and another 28% of it is an estimate based on hear-say.

What I try to say: if you argue that "good" is subjective, you ought to apply the same to the audience score for the Avengers, yet you seem willing to use the 92% score of the Avengers as an argument of its greatness where you don't go so far for Bieber. Either you invalidate both, or you accredit both.

I'll agree that critic reviews are something else, although I doubt a critic applies the same judging standards to an action movie as he does to, say, a bio-pic. Therefore, I guess we can say that when it comes to action/superhero movies (and let's face it, the superhero is the noughties' version of John McClane and other hard-boiled ordinary Joes), The Avengers is an exceptional movie.

That doesn't mean that it is anywhere near the Holy Grail of film making in the year it was produced.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#91 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

@Tapper: Let's not derail this thread further. I'm here to talk about STAR WARS.

K?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#92 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostMTS, on 01 November 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

My problem with the opening of the space battle was that we had no idea who General Grievous was at the start of the movie, had never heard his name mentioned before the movie, and ended up learning virtually nothing about him by the end. The same thing happened with Dooku, so there was absolutely zero reason to care about anything that was happening. Plus, the whole buzz droid thing was boring.

It was all extended universe stuff that you basically had to pay attention to in order to grasp who, what, where and why. Idiotic structuring for a movie, but it is George Lucas.

I wrote up a post a long time ago saying that the prequels could have been improved massively by keeping Maul alive throughout - consistent bad guy heavy for the series - making the first movie about finding Anakin, pod racing and his Jedi training, the second movie about the Naboo siege/clone armies/robot armies and the falling in love with Amidala and the third movie solely about Anakin's seduction to the dark side by Palpatine. Anakin killing Darth Maul early in the third movie to become the Sith Apprentice for real would be so much cooler, especially with Maul being a looming presence for the first two movies.

Maybe even throw in a reference to the Outbound Mission in the first movie. Have Anakin arrive as Joruus C'baoth leaves.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#93 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, Maul's death was probably the worst travesty GL visited upon his universe. It was such a bad idea that he's been resurrected with metal legs in the CLONE WARS series. And yeah, that opening space battler in SITH does nothing for me. It's just kind of a paint-by-numbers space battle...and yeah while if you are versed in the EU to know who and where everyone is at that point, it still doens't save the whole battle from being lackluster.

#94 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

The best Star Wars that could possibly be done is indeed a Nolan-ization of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. Full out mini-series on HBO or something.

However, with Disney, we'll never get that. Probably a New Jedi Order focused animated series like the Clone Wars one would make sense. Can't do it live action, as the actors will age out fast for the many, many seasons it'd take to tell truncated versions of the Vong invasion and subsequent challenges.

#95 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Well, the latest is that it was reported this morning by both actors that GL met with Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in the late summertime (probably around the time this deal was being tabled to Disney) and had lunch with them, where he informed them that Episode VII was going to get made and that they were going to be asked to be involved.

Here’s Hamill:

He asked Carrie and I to have lunch with him and we did. I thought he was going to talk about either his retirement or the Star Wars TV series that I’ve heard about – which I don’t think we were going to be involved in anyway, because that takes place between the prequels and the ones we were in and, if Luke were in them, he’d be anywhere from a toddler to a teenager so they’d get an age-appropriate actor—or the 3-D releases. So when he said, “We decided we’re going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,” I was just gobsmacked. “What? Are you nuts?!”

I can see both sides of it. Because in a way, there was a beginning, a middle, and an end and we all lived happily ever after and that’s the way it should be—and it’s great that people have fond memories, if they do have fond memories. But on the other hand, there’s this ravenous desire on the part of the true believers to have more and more and more material.

Which seems to be the clearest path to success. Having the OT cast in their 60's and reprising roles down the line 30+ years on from JEDI and heralding the kids as the new heroes is ideal.

I'd love to see a Nolan Yuuzan Vong invasion tale...and yeah a miniseries would work for that....but yeah, I think what we will be seeing will likely be a NJO-type storyline that will differ from the EU story but pay homage to it. I'll be quite interested to hear who they come up with to write it, and who they choose to direct it. It won't be Joss as he's busy with AVENGERS 2...

#96 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 November 2012 - 04:24 AM, said:

Was anyone else dissatisfied with Siths opening space battle like I was? Sure it looked great but it was mostly a theme park type ride following the 2 fighters except the brief moments with the troopers loading the battiers and Grevious doing a bit of ordering the droids. ...

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 01 November 2012 - 04:37 AM, said:

Opening battle was a rescue mission, not an all out war for lots of those ships...

View PostMTS, on 01 November 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 01 November 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

It was all extended universe stuff that you basically had to pay attention to in order to grasp who, what, where and why. Idiotic structuring for a movie, but it is George Lucas.

Hugely idiotic.
And even then Greivous was little more than an archetype for the characters to fight. he got a tiny bit more development in the Clone Wars series, but opening the movie that way made little sense and the utter chaos of the battle, while very pretty to look at, made even less, ESPECIALLY with the rescue mission angle being utterly lost in the kerfuffle.

Just some of the many things i despised about that flic.

View PostObdigore, on 01 November 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

Anyone else expecting a Chewbacca and Jar-Jar cop buddy movie?

hey, i'd watch just for the thin possibility that just once Chewi would rip JarJar's arm off and beat him to death with it.

View Postamphibian, on 01 November 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

I wrote up a post a long time ago saying that the prequels could have been improved massively by keeping Maul alive throughout ...

And i wrote a response saying the prequels could have been improved massively if they had just tried harder to have baddies in II and III who were as cool as Maul, instead of wasting Christopher Lee like that.

Kenobi taking out Maul was a huge factor in establishing him as a badass in his own right.

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 November 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

Yeah, Maul's death was probably the worst travesty GL visited upon his universe. It was such a bad idea that he's been resurrected with metal legs in the CLONE WARS series. ...

I have mixed feelings about that but overall they've done a decent job with it. Having Oppress for him to play off of goes a long way to developing the character.

View Postamphibian, on 01 November 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

The best Star Wars that could possibly be done is indeed a Nolan-ization of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. Full out mini-series on HBO or something.

Star Wars is movies. Everything else is sideshow. Sometimes very good sideshow and sometime not so much, but ultimately the money and the cultural impact lies in the movies.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#97 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Tell that to my Lego Star Wars stuff.

Lego + Star Wars > Disney + Star Wars

#98 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Chris and I collected our thoughts on the site.

http://icebergink.bl...m-new-star.html

#99 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

View PostAbyss, on 01 November 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

Kenobi taking out Maul was a huge factor in establishing him as a badass in his own right.

Have Kenobi and Qui Gon be the ones to kill the eighty gazbillion thugs keeping human slaves on Tatooine during the podracing/Anakin discovery first movie. Maul kills Qui Gon at end of this movie. Second movie, Kenobi destroys umpteen robots, including big robots, big tanks, has battles with Maul multiple times, but no put away. This establishes that Kenobi is at least as good as Qui Gon or slightly better.

Third movie, Anakin, powered up by the dark side, kills Maul. Establishes that Anakin has serious Force juice and makes the Kenobi upset at the end much more meaningful.

Star Wars is movies. Everything else is sideshow. Sometimes very good sideshow and sometime not so much, but ultimately the money and the cultural impact lies in the movies.

As HD said, Legos are huge for Star Wars.

I have a feeling they will do a courtship of Tenel Ka with Jacen Solo storyline to open up the wooing the filthy rich princess romance angle. That way when Jacen goes bad, the princess will stand up for herself and make Disney millions (as per their ideal business model [invent princess, make princess feisty and man-needing, introduce some conflict, watch money flow in like a river]). Jaina might get Princess-ized too.

#100 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

View Postamphibian, on 01 November 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 01 November 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

Have Kenobi and Qui Gon be the ones to kill the eighty gazbillion thugs keeping human slaves on Tatooine during the podracing/Anakin discovery first movie. Maul kills Qui Gon at end of this movie. Second movie, Kenobi destroys umpteen robots, including big robots, big tanks, has battles with Maul multiple times, but no put away. This establishes that Kenobi is at least as good as Qui Gon or slightly better.

Third movie, Anakin, powered up by the dark side, kills Maul. Establishes that Anakin has serious Force juice and makes the Kenobi upset at the end much more meaningful.

As HD said, Legos are huge for Star Wars.

I have a feeling they will do a courtship of Tenel Ka with Jacen Solo storyline to open up the wooing the filthy rich princess romance angle. That way when Jacen goes bad, the princess will stand up for herself and make Disney millions (as per their ideal business model [invent princess, make princess feisty and man-needing, introduce some conflict, watch money flow in like a river]). Jaina might get Princess-ized too.

Absolutely agree about Maul. Those were my thoughts on how to establish that storyline between Maul and Obi-Wan and allow it to grow.

I also think that Tenel Ka and Jacen Solo, mixed with Jaina and Jag would make for ideal romances to explore, with the prospect of two of the most badass female protags in the SW universe to get heavy screen time.

Also, anyone else think that Tenel Ka's fight with the rancor that takes her arm would make a badass action setpiece?

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users