#101 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

View PostGnaw, on 08 December 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

These are the rules we're using?

http://en.wikibooks....Diplomacy/Rules

These look about right.
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#102 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

A Smy-Con, please.

ST
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#103 User is offline   Adjudicator 

• First Sword
  • Group: Diplomacy Adjudicator

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

Spring 1903 Retreat

Spoiler

Fall 1903 Movement

Spoiler

Deadline for orders Friday December 15th

#104 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Is there any easy way to enter the orders to Jdip?
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#105 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 10 December 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

Yes there is. Ctl+M or under the orders pull down menu select "enter multiple orders". Then you can copy and paste what I have posted on thread.

#106 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

View Posttwelve, on 10 December 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

Yes there is. Ctl+M or under the orders pull down menu select "enter multiple orders". Then you can copy and paste what I have posted on thread.

Hey slick just a fyi. There is no Friday december the 15th in the year 2012. There is however a Friday december 14th and a saturday december 15th at the end of this coming week. :)
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#107 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

View PostVengeance, on 10 December 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

View Posttwelve, on 10 December 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

Hey slick just a fyi. There is no Friday december the 15th in the year 2012. There is however a Friday december 14th and a saturday december 15th at the end of this coming week. :)

Sure there is. When it's late Friday evening of the 14th for you and me it's Saturday the 15th for the euro zone players. Hence Friday December 15th.

:)

#108 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Looking realistically at Germany's situation and with the only potential partner not wanting to do anything I proposed the only thing I can see myself doing is pissing on some boots on my way out.

Germany surrenders. Disbands all forces.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#109 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

View PostGnaw, on 12 December 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

Looking realistically at Germany's situation and with the only potential partner not wanting to do anything I proposed the only thing I can see myself doing is pissing on some boots on my way out.

Now that is not very sporting at all. In the last game I stepped in during a similar situation as the one that you are in now. I just slugged it out until I was dead and the game was over.

#110 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

View PostVengeance, on 12 December 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Now that is not very sporting at all. In the last game I stepped in during a similar situation as the one that you are in now. I just slugged it out until I was dead and the game was over.

Looking at the map. Assuming France and England stay nice to each other, and assuming that your offer to support my army in Munich was, shall we say, less than reliable, I was going to lose 3 power centers next phase.

Belgium to Holland with support from North Sea.

Army Ruhr to Kiel with support from denmark. Fleet in Swe to Baltic to cut support line.

Army Burgundy to Munich with support Army in Tyrolia.

That leaves me Berlin.

Say I move my army in Munich to Bohemia. Am I going to do anything except piss on twelve's center for one phase? Bah. not worth it. Even if I just wanted to stick it to twelve for the ToD game, it would have been childish and petty. Now I am quite capable of being childish and petty. But if I'm going to do so, the payoff has to be better than playing one army in a desperate attempt to keep one power center.

Now, IF EM had been willing to listen to some very sage advice, I could (maybe) have survived. But EM used his brain and saw that the time just isn't quite right to fuck Tapper. And the Tapper screwing of EM timing is even worse.

So I disband.

Now we see who scrambles for the open territory.

Edit: And, if one chose to look at it a certain way, disbanding actually screws Twelve over better than moving one Army to Bohemia. If one looks through at the situation through the "childish and petty" lenses that is. Not that I am. Wouldn't dream of it.

:)

This post has been edited by Gnaw: 13 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#111 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Well my offer was in good faith.

But I have to say having some one step in for another player then deciding to disband is a rather shitty move, and honestly takes a bit of the enjoyment out of the game.

#112 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

Disbanding isn't allowed. He can order all of his units to hold, there is nothing I can do to stop that, but I will not allow disbanding. Though if he is just going to order holds I'll might have IH step in and play out the string for Germany. Like Vengy says that takes all the fun out of the game for those that still have a shot.

#113 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

Please don't do this. Resigning is not the done thing in Diplomacy. You play it out because otherwise it gives too much of an advantage to the people who were attacking you. Balance is key in this game, and one person dropping out tilts it.

ST
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#114 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

View PostVengeance, on 13 December 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

But I have to say having some one step in for another player then deciding to disband is a rather shitty move, and honestly takes a bit of the enjoyment out of the game.

View Posttwelve, on 13 December 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

Disbanding isn't allowed. He can order all of his units to hold, there is nothing I can do to stop that, but I will not allow disbanding. Though if he is just going to order holds I'll might have IH step in and play out the string for Germany. Like Vengy says that takes all the fun out of the game for those that still have a shot.

I would agree with both you. If I had stepped in for any reason other than the player decided his position was untenable. And Occam's Razor leads me to believe that is a distinct possibility. Besides, it's not as if the subject hadn't been discussed before.

View PostVengeance, on 04 December 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 04 December 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

Oh, I am restless but I still say give him time.it may be me the next time.

With this point in mind I say kick him out now and divide his territories among the players who have less then 6 SC's. Since EM is going to drop out eventually lets just do the same thing to him now. :)

As for IH stepping in, I think I can handle that easily:

@Tapper and EM: is there any condition that you would agree to that leaves Holland, Munich, or Kiel in German hands?

Germany's survival is in their hands.

I tried a gamble last phase and lost.

#115 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

My comment was made in jest. I prefer to win/lose territories through my own actions.

#116 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

Gnaw you have forced my hand. I am announcing that my Italian scientist have developed the atom bomb. That is correct a bomb that splits atoms. It's magnitude is more powerful then anything we have seen to date.

If everyone surrenders to the might of the Italian empire then I will not destroy your country. Failure to surrender will mean total destruction.

#117 User is offline   Gnaw 

• View gallery

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

View PostSir Thursday, on 13 December 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

Please don't do this. Resigning is not the done thing in Diplomacy. You play it out because otherwise it gives too much of an advantage to the people who were attacking you. Balance is key in this game, and one person dropping out tilts it.

ST

I honestly thought, and still do think, that surrender/disband was the best move for the rest of the players considering Germany's situation. It seems that the forlorn hope is the proper way to act. I apologize for the wording and the heavily implied jab at Twelve. That really was more joke than anything else.

If I thought there was a chance that I would survive two more phases, I'd have stayed, hoping somebody screwed up an order. But I do not see that as a possibility.

Veng says he would support my Army in Munich. I simply do not believe that.

I have every reason to believe that England and France are tied at the hip for the majority of this game seeing as how their replies to me boil down to "sucks to be you". They say it politely but that's the message.

That leaves me either 1 or 2 centers after this move. and facing overwhelming combined French and England forces. Which means I'm gone the next phase. Which means that, at best, I slow French/English movement in one or two territories by one phase. At worst, I don't even slow them down. I end up being a German army somewhere in Austria with the French armies right behind me.

I've done what I thought was the right thing to do. It's been a long time since I played Diplomacy, but the group I played with the opinion was that if you were fucked, you knew you were fucked, and you knew everyone else knew you were fucked, you got out of the way of the others. That's my intention here.

Do with that what you wish.

#118 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Fuck that man. Take those fuckers with you down the drain: That's what I say.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#119 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

View PostGnaw, on 13 December 2012 - 02:07 AM, said:

ST

I honestly thought, and still do think, that surrender/disband was the best move for the rest of the players considering Germany's situation. It seems that the forlorn hope is the proper way to act. I apologize for the wording and the heavily implied jab at Twelve. That really was more joke than anything else.

If I thought there was a chance that I would survive two more phases, I'd have stayed, hoping somebody screwed up an order. But I do not see that as a possibility.

I have every reason to believe that England and France are tied at the hip for the majority of this game seeing as how their replies to me boil down to "sucks to be you". They say it politely but that's the message.

That leaves me either 1 or 2 centers after this move. and facing overwhelming combined French and England forces. Which means I'm gone the next phase. Which means that, at best, I slow French/English movement in one or two territories by one phase. At worst, I don't even slow them down. I end up being a German army somewhere in Austria with the French armies right behind me.

I've done what I thought was the right thing to do. It's been a long time since I played Diplomacy, but the group I played with the opinion was that if you were fucked, you knew you were fucked, and you knew everyone else knew you were fucked, you got out of the way of the others. That's my intention here.

Do with that what you wish.

Basically, you were fucked by T'renn not realising that as Germany you need friends amongst at the least 2 of France/England/Austria/Italy - those four now form very solid duo blocks who might end up facing each other over the smoking ruins of Germany. At the least, I the board position at the least as all 4 trying to get into the mix in Germany, with fairly decent chances for Austria/Italy to get a hold on Munich and/or Berlin (likely to become a domino) - at a time where France and England don't have the room for much maneuver there, themselves. In that light, a disband would be quite atrocious :)

I see no real issue in all German units holding - apart from Berlin being a give-away then since it isn't occupied. After all, that is also how a neutral Italy/Germany are set-up in 6 & 5 player games.
EDIT: for Russia, a player who actively resists in one or more directions might be useful.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 13 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#120 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostGnaw, on 13 December 2012 - 02:07 AM, said:

ST

Yeah of little faith. I don't believe that I have ever screwed you over. It is the reputation isn't it. Ahh well that has been built up for years. I did realize that perhaps I had gone to far when shin introduced me to his wife as a backstabbing SOB. :)

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users