• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Got questions... Have answers?

#1 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Games, Fantasy & Scifi books

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

I restarted GoTM yesterday, this time in english only (story there; http://forum.malazan...opic=22836&st=0) and I'm really more hooked than last year. I guess since I don't read english books as an automated task as translated french books, it helps me concentrate more to what is happeing. I'm just 2 chapters in and I'll probably follow the TOR reread. Nevertheless, some stuff seems not clear for me and I know that you good folks will be able to help me without spoiling me too much (well, I hope :)).

1. When Sorry goes to join the army, is it at the Gerrom place that Palan goes right after or it was another town in the Empire ?

2. Is warren are like a power that you can use for traveling but as well doing offensive spells ?

3. Is there a good place to see pictures of the other races without spoiling me too much ? Might help my comprehension, I'm the visual kind of guy.

That's is for now, but I'll be back :)

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

Yes.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#3 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

the gallery button at the top of the page takes you too oodles and oodles of drawings, unfortunately, many are spoilerish.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#4 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

Mercador, on 27 September 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

1. When Sorry goes to join the army, is it at the Gerrom place that Palan goes right after or it was another town in the Empire ?

2. Is warren are like a power that you can use for traveling but as well doing offensive spells ?

3. Is there a good place to see pictures of the other races without spoiling me too much ? Might help my comprehension, I'm the visual kind of guy.

1. No, it's not the same place.

2. For now, imagine warrens like parallel realms which can be entered and from which powers can be drawn. That's what I did back when I read GotM for the first time and iirc it helped.

3. There are sketches and pictures scattered about, but alas, as ST already said, many are spoilerish.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

re #1 - I thought it was? Sorry joins the army while there's a recruiting drive passing through, and by the time Paran gets there everyone has been pidgeon'd?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:48 AM

Yah, D'rek is correct. Puck, you might be confusing the road/fisher village where Paran first is with the town that he later stumbles across. He finds massacre about both places.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#7 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:03 AM

Puck, on 27 September 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

1. No, it's not the same place.

2. For now, imagine warrens like parallel realms which can be entered and from which powers can be drawn. That's what I did back when I read GotM for the first time and iirc it helped.

3. There are sketches and pictures scattered about, but alas, as ST already said, many are spoilerish.

2. Pretty much that. Warrens are aspected (fire, earth, death, healing), which has be theorized to be tied in with personality somehow. Also the general rule of thumb is one warren per person.

This post has been edited by BalrogLord: 28 September 2012 - 06:03 AM

#8 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

Thanks. Actually, when Sorry is enlisted(typo?) in the Empire Army, the guy only said that paper don't kill you, but he don't say where it is.

At first though, he remarks that she got blood on her shoes (red mud) so I thought. But in my head, the recruiter must had known that was a massacre not far from where he is, so I thought he might be at some other place in the continent. But when Paran got to the conciabule (or something like that), he remarks that the slave was erased. So it make sense.

Just wanted a confirmation.

If you ever see some pictures of some of the races that aren't spoilerific, would you mind link it here?

Thanks a lot!

#9 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

4. Is an Ascendant is from another warren?
5. Are warrens are like transverse worlds ?

#10 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

ascendants can come from anywhere. they are a natural phenomenon of this universe.

when it comes to warrens, i think you're better off just reading the books than asking questions comparing them to other things. warrens are complicated. very complicated.

- Oscar Levant

#11 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

This is from the Malazan Art Guild on deviantart.

edit: from left: jaghut, thelomen (TTT), imass, forkrul assail, k'chain

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 28 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

- Oscar Levant

#12 User is offline   Phaedrus 

• Recruit

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

I restarted GoTM yesterday, this time in english only (story there; http://forum.malazan...opic=22836&st=0) and I'm really more hooked than last year. I guess since I don't read english books as an automated task as translated french books, it helps me concentrate more to what is happeing. I'm just 2 chapters in and I'll probably follow the TOR reread. Nevertheless, some stuff seems not clear for me and I know that you good folks will be able to help me without spoiling me too much (well, I hope :p).

That's is for now, but I'll be back :(

Thanks!

1. Err Gerrom? I dont know what that is but I believe Sorry joins the army in Blackdog Forest? And she is from a small fishing village in Itko Kan.

2. A warren is another world or plain of existence. Some have their own element, for example Rashan is shadow and Thyr is fire. Others seem to be home to demons and such.

3. Dunno... Google around. This website has a nice selection but if you google "Jaghut" or whatever Im sure you'll find something!

#13 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

Please help meeeeee !

I'm starting to lost my focus, at the same place at the last time. I don't understand political workarounds in the chapter VI. Is it normal that's totally not clear?

#14 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Mercador, on 04 October 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

Please help meeeeee !

I'm starting to lost my focus, at the same place at the last time. I don't understand political workarounds in the chapter VI. Is it normal that's totally not clear?

You aren't suppose to necessarily understand it. Remember this is a old civilization and world. We (the reader) are coming into this world and peaking at things. It takes a while to understand the workings of the world. Politics takes the longest while as it is something that by nature is fluid. You are listening to people deal with each other who on average are a hundred or so years old. Some of them are hundred of thousands of years old. Therefore their relationships are tricky. Steve is not going to lay what is happening out for you. Read it and put in the back of your mind. Later on (either in the book or in the next books) pieces will start to fall together.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#15 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Nah it's ok, I just reread the chapter and take the reread at Tor and it helps. Though Bill comments are kinda spoilers for me at times..

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

Don't read Bill.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#17 User is offline   Mercador 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Will do, thanks :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users