Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deck of dragons and houses

#1 User is offline   Rodders 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Hi, apologies for the fact that I am only up to chapter 15 in this book so far, but I've a puzzling thought.

How does this Deck Of Dragons work, Paran is the new master card, does he start a new house (metaphorically)?
Also the Crippled God is starting up a new house. Why not others, there must be other candidates for house leadership (e.g. elder gods/goddesses), how does the deck of dragons then accept these new additions? does the deck of dragons have sentience?
Does it all become clear?
Any help greatly appreciated.

PS I'm really enjoying it so far, it just has sooooo much going on and a lot of it needs concentration to stay with it.

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

It doesn't necessarily ALL become clear, but you'll learn a lot more as you go along.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

This doesn't answer your questions specifically, but just remember that the Deck of Dragons is a human invention meant to make sense and exert some control over the pantheon and its power players. And it ain't perfect.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Rodders 

• Corporal

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

I think of it like Tarot reading, only magical I guess and I'm not sure on the new card genesis aspect.
Usually someone on the forum gives me an insight that clears up any grey areas that I have.

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

We're pretty unusual people.

#6 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

well i'll give it a crack.

the deck of dragons represents those ascendants and their servants, mortal or otherwise, who have influence across the realms. some warrens are entire realms where a single entity holds sway and rules the corresponding high house in the deck of dragons, eg. Hood, King of High House Death. he even has the warren of death named after him. he has servants, and they can occupy positions in the deck and be referred to by a deck reading. although sometimes it's the card's aspect that's being referred to in a reading, and not the person holding the position. the card King of High House Death might tell you that a lot of people are going to die, or that Hood has drawn near to give particular attention to a singular death.

the entire structure is highly fluid and ever-changing, with people taking up roles then leaving them all the time (aside from the rulers who are often gods). Since the Crippled God is becoming more powerful in the mortal realm, he wants more influence as well, and having a High House will give him it, so he makes his moves and starts creating his House. This is just one way for it to occur, and you'll see a contrast by the end of this book. of course, once you're in the deck of dragons, well, it's like worrywort says - the humans can exert some control over you.

Edit: and then there are the unaligneds, which introduce elements of the unknown and unforseen, as well as those forces whom nobody can truly claim to "rule". Eg. Oponn is the avatar of chance, and there's nothing else about them. Dolmen most often refers to time, and time is something beyond anyone's control.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 21 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#7 User is offline   Rodders 

• Corporal

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for that, I just wondered about the relationship between becoming more influential and being represented by a card in the real world. How are the cards made? Magically? Does the deck of dragons somehow detect a beings growing influence and desire to set up a new house. Maybe I'm thinking too much and should just roll with it.

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

You're not done with MOI, so I'll be pretty circumspect in saying this: but you will see a brand new card being made in this very book.

#9 User is offline   boesjwoelie 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

Some stuff said above confuses me... I thought the deck was nothing more then a way for the reader of the cards to see whats going on in a greater perspective. So they may have a vague idea of whats coming, whos going to be involved, and what they shouldnt do...

I never thought humans had control over the cards, or the enteties they represent...

This post has been edited by boesjwoelie: 26 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

"In a world full of pits and sinkholes, you dance the edges." Ganoes Paran

#10 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

View Postboesjwoelie, on 26 September 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

Some stuff said above confuses me... I thought the deck was nothing more then a way for the reader of the cards to see whats going on in a greater perspective. So they may have a vague idea of whats coming, whos going to be involved, and what they shouldnt do...

I never thought humans had control over the cards, or the enteties they represent...

humans don't directly control the card no, but indirectly there are humans whose actions have profound repercussion throughout the realm (if not realms). There's always some sort of causal relationship involved. If one gains information about what ascendants are at play in an area, one can plan accordingly, therefore affect the ascendants.

#11 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

View PostBalrogLord, on 26 September 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

View Postboesjwoelie, on 26 September 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

humans don't directly control the card no, but indirectly there are humans whose actions have profound repercussion throughout the realm (if not realms). There's always some sort of causal relationship involved. If one gains information about what ascendants are at play in an area, one can plan accordingly, therefore affect the ascendants.

precisely. you've got a long way to go, but you'll see this all borne out eventually, rodders.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users