Hood Discrepancy in relation to DG?

#21 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Khellendros, on 20 September 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

Dragnipurake, on 18 September 2012 - 10:31 PM, said:

The Jaghut in Deadhouse Gates is not Hood. If i remember correctly, that particular jaghut's children were buried under stones by the t'lan. Hood's body is found by Hedge on the Ice throne, surrounded by the bodies of his ?family in the refugium in Reaper's Gale.

Has reading Erikson not taught you anything about the dangers of certainty? :) This is like saying Harllo is not six, because there is no way that he could be considering everything else. But, well, ultimately, he is, and that's that.

I fear that many of these responses are taking a far too rigid stance when it comes to interpretation.

No, the scenes in DG are not explicit...but then neither are the references to Hood being a Jaghut in MoI or RG, but you can infer. Here's the thing: SE writes in a very 'cinematic' style, often including scenes or events which are highly memorable, but don't necessarily conform to what we've seen gone on before. Hence all the issues with the timeline.

So, knowing that, what's to say that when Erikson first wrote the scenes with the Jaghut and List in DG, he wasn't thinking of a first way to introduce Hood? After all, which Jaghut would be most interested in following an event such as the Chain of Dogs, where people were falling and dying every single day, than the Lord of Death himself?

But then when SE got around to writing RG, he thought of another great scene to write which is both poignant and strongly suggests Hood is a Jaghut also. And then, when he got to writing FoD, he decided he wanted to include the War on Death within it, and needed yet another way to introduce it.

@ Dragnipurake:

Your answer is dependent on SE knowing exactly what he was going to do with each successive book, and didn't depart from/change/forget anything. It is clear to me, and I think surely to most people who post in this forum, that while we can try to explain some things, in quite a few cases it is simply a matter of the author changing his mind and/or forgetting a previous detail. That's not a criticism, it's just a fact of life when it comes to a series this huge, and SE is just one man in the end.

@ Apt:

I always interpreted the laughter as hollow and despairing, laughing at the hopelessness.

I was just at a book signing where steve said that he had the complete outlay of the books and new what was going to happen before he started on GOTM. He did say that different characters went on different journeys and came out differently as he was writing them. I think that since Hood is such a central force that he knew what was going to happen. I have never thought that that the Jaghut in DG was Hood.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#22 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Did List envision a female Jaghut?
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#23 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

champ, on 21 September 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Use Of Weapons, on 21 September 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

FWIW, I never thought the DG Jaghut dad was Hood until I read this thread. And now, having read it, I still don't think it. I also don't find it adds any extra pathos to the scene if Hood is the spirit face seen by List at the end of his vision.

This ^^

That ^^.

I wondered about the List's Jaghut = Hood thing but ultimately fell on the 'not Hood' side. There's really nothing to support it other than both being morbid Jaghuts who are sort of dead.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#24 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Plus, you know, it's a ghost...and Hood isn't a ghost.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#25 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

blackzoid, on 18 September 2012 - 08:53 PM, said:

Khellendros, on 18 September 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

I suppose that it can be explained away by saying that the Jaghut seen in DG is NOT Hood, but again it would take away something special from that particular tale if it was ascribed now to a random Jaghut, never seen or heard from again.

There has never been any consensus that that Jaghut was Hood. I've certainly never taken it to be Hood, even before Forge of Darkness.
Especially since Hood attained the Throne of Death ages before the Imass undertook the Ritual. And the T'lan Imass were not aware of the war against death (bar that one guy mentioned in TCG and that was set before the Imas became undead)
If we take the guy in DG being Hood, than the convoluted progression is, Hood becomes God of death, than backtracks to somehow have a Jaghut family while still being a god.

arathan says that there were dog runners and the jheleck (SP?) who also fought for hood in his war against death, so Im guessing that the Imass took part
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#26 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Roldom, on 12 October 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

...arathan says that there were dog runners and the jheleck (SP?) who also fought for hood in his war against death, so Im guessing that the Imass took part

As far as we know the dog runners might be a precursor race to the Imass, but that's not the same thing as saying they are Imass.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

But the dog runners have bone casters and follow OE and come after the Eres, which in the main series are the Imass's precursors
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#28 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

Which doesn't negate anything Abyss said, cuz of, you know, evolution.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users