Malazan Empire: (Edgewalker -- Osseric) Democratic Hierarchy of the Gods - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(Edgewalker -- Osseric) Democratic Hierarchy of the Gods Pairing 8 - Shadow vs Light

Poll: (Edgewalker -- Osseric) Democratic Hierarchy of the Gods (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is more powerful in the Malazan World?

1. Edgewalker (23 votes [38.98%])

Percentage of vote: 38.98%

2. Osseric (17 votes [28.81%])

Percentage of vote: 28.81%

3. Equal - too close - not enough info (19 votes [32.20%])

Percentage of vote: 32.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Edgewalker - ancient Elder God of Shadow.

Osseric - God of the Tiste Liosan.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

Not enough info.

In the grand scheme of things I'd assume that Osserc had the most potential being a god of the liosan, light and sky along with being Draconean.

On the other hand we just don't know very much about Edgewalker. But considering that he has been successfully staying alive for countless millennia while protecting the boundaries of a contested realm, I'm assuming you don't want to mess with him.

#3 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

I'd be ok with putting Edgewalker on the same tier as Osseric, but are we putting Osseric on same level as Draconus or Rake, considering forum voted Rake ABOVE Drac. So it could look something like-

Rake
Draconus -
Osseric - Edgewalker

Or
Rake
Draconus - Edgewalker - Osseric

I need to run more winner pairings soon.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#4 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

I would like for EW to win , but I think these two are on the same tier . (I voted for EW because I don't like Osseric . )
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#5 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

Not enough info. We only know a little bit about Osseric (most of it from the fact that he's said to roughly be Anomander's equal), but we know pretty much nothing about what Edgewalker can do.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

We know he's undead, so he can probably get hacked and slashed by Osserc continuously and still get close enough to rip his head off.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   Sheve 

• Fist

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:03 AM

We know that Osserc was concerned that Edgewalker was waiting somewhere when Kilimandaros met him in her dream.
So they are atleast equals.
They may cut your dick in half
And serve it to a pig
And though it hurts, you'll laugh
And dance a dickless jig

#8 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:21 AM

View PostSheve, on 15 September 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

We know that Osserc was concerned that Edgewalker was waiting somewhere when Kilimandaros met him in her dream.

Nice catch. You're positive about that, though?

Also, was it not mentioned that Osseric and rake were equals in the books? I've been looking and can't remember where I read it. The thing is, if that's true, then rake, Osseric, and edgewalker are all equal, and all above Draconus. I had Draconus at number 1 before the polls, this would push him to 4th so far.

I think it was in RotCG, Osseric is in shadow with kyle, Dassem, shadowthrone, cot, and Osseric cuts something don't he? A shadow tendril or something, but anyway, that's not the point, if I remember right, Osseric looked towards Dassem, st, and cot as he'd easily dispatch all 3.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 15 September 2012 - 01:24 AM

- Maynard James Keenan

#9 User is offline   Kazemeryx 

• Recruit

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:22 AM

View PostBrujah, on 15 September 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

View PostSheve, on 15 September 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

I think it was in RotCG, Osseric is in shadow with kyle, Dassem, shadowthrone, cot, and Osseric cuts something don't he? A shadow tendril or something, but anyway, that's not the point, if I remember right, Osseric looked towards Dassem, st, and cot as he'd easily dispatch all 3.

I think that is more Osserc's personality than anything. In all the instances he has featured in the books he exhibits the same unconcerned indifference to everything. However, in Gotm Rake does say that if St and Cot tag teamed him the fight might be challenging. Therefore considering that Rake was underpowered in the first novel and if Osserc is on par with Rake, he might truthfully be able to take all three of them.

#10 User is offline   Fiddler-in-Black 

• Recruit

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

View PostBrujah, on 14 September 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

Edgewalker - ancient Elder God of Shadow.

Osseric - God of the Tiste Liosan.

Edgewalker

There really isn't enough information about him but if you think about how scared of him all the Elient are, that know who he is...that and I just Detest Osseric so maybe im biased?

#11 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

We know very, very little about Edgewalker. We don't even know what species he is.

He's very old, and has seen countless claimants to Shadow come and go, and is in charge of guarding it. I would assume that he's fairly capable. More than Osseric? I can't really tell.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#12 User is offline   Bazile 

• Recruit

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

I have to think Osseric..

Osseric came out of Kyle's sword (please don't ask me how or why. I've never understood the occurrence.) The event is disturbing enough that Traveller sides with Shadowthrone and Cotillion to face him. If Edgewalker could not or did not care to face Shadowthrone and Cotillion in the past, I have to think he would fail when 3 ascendents didn't really want to fight Osseric.

This post has been edited by Bazile: 16 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

#13 User is offline   RSM616 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

ive ranked them as equals. I know in the books osseric is always made to seem as powerful as rake but its always felt to me that hes only alive cos rake saw no benefit to killing him out right. As for edgewalker. as its been said, we just dont know enough about him to make a strong argument for his abilities. but that's just my humble opinion

#14 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:23 AM

Osserc is impulsive and.contrary, à spoiled brat who happens to be immortal. Draconus only loses to Anomander because Draconus is vulnérable to his own immense compassion and his quick temper. Rake has learned his lessons well and is more calculating as à result. In terms of RAW power, Draconus is number one, followed by Rake, Osserc and Edgewalker.

This post has been edited by NefaraisBredd: 30 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

#15 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostNefaraisBredd, on 29 August 2013 - 04:23 AM, said:

Osserc is impulsive and.contrary, à spoiled brat who happens to be immortal. Dtaconus only loses to Anomander because Draconus is vulnérable to his immense.compassion and his quick temper. Rake has learned his lessons well and is more calculating as à result. In terms of RAW power, Draconus is number one, followed by Rake, Osserc and Edgewalker.

I'd agree, Draconus is not weak. He is second to Rake largely because he beat himself. The fight between the two was a contest of wills rather than ability and its tough for an Elder Gods will to keep up with these purposeful young whippersnappers. Draconus is VERY much OP, reading CG as we speak and as far as I am, he has been nothing short of the boss. Both Rake and Osseric are on equal footing because Rake is filled with ambition while Osseric is filled with righteous arrogance. Their belief in themselves is on par.

Now the Scary bit is Edgewalker. no ambition to venture out. no concession to give in. He walks the line and keeps that shit in check. The balls of the guy to deny the place to every ascendant seeking power, not just in Wu but in all the other Warrens aswell. I'd place him and Draconus at the same level because it seems Old Gods do not learn new tricks. They are from the old school and have a very limited world view. They may hold a ton of power behind them but lack refinement which as much as it Galls me to say Osseric seems to have developed in the form of Osserc. He adapts fast and has condensed his presence in the world. As Father light he is worshipped, as Serc he is worshipped and as the lover of Tiam he is very much the height of the Hierachy. Osseric may respect and even fear Edgewalkers power but that doesn't mean he couldn't take him. Both have survived long by avoiding such conflicts. Though considering how often Osseric fought Rake Osseric is just as brilliant as him, if not more so because he is still around.

I'd hand it to Osseric for the exact same reasons we handed it to Rake.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 29 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#16 User is offline   Grimjazz 

• Old Guard
  • View gallery

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

Just going on who I like the most. I'd say Edgewalker.
'I am going to beat a god senseless.'

#17 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

Having read Blood and Bone, I would now amend my choice to a very tentative vote for Edgewalker.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#18 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:51 AM

Just re-reading DoD and i found it. Proof that Edgewalker is a creature that inspires fear in Ascendants and Gods alike. Page 334 Osserc implores Kilmandaros to help him cause Edgewalker is 'angry' and Osserc is clearly pissing his trousers with fear

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users