Malazan Empire: WILD CARDS UK reprints - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

WILD CARDS UK reprints Finally Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

The UK is getting its first editions of the Wild Cards series in many, many years. The first two books are out in November and December, with Book 3 following in March. The reprints will then jump forwards to the newer books (starting with Inside Straight) in June. The series will also feature new cover art:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Werthead: 12 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

Is it really that important that it is "EDITED BY GEORGE R.R. MARTIN" or is that just for sales?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

Fairly important. GRRM created the setting, quite a few of the characters and several of the overall story arcs for the series. These early books also have 1-2 stories by him per book (some of the more recent ones don't have any at all). Putting his name on them is fairly justified, at least moreso than anyone else's. Hopefully all the individual authors are credited on the back as well.

The UK edition of A Game of Thrones is also the brand new 2011 edition from Tor Books, with several new stories added.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

View PostWerthead, on 13 September 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

Fairly important. GRRM created the setting, quite a few of the characters and several of the overall story arcs for the series. These early books also have 1-2 stories by him per book (some of the more recent ones don't have any at all). Putting his name on them is fairly justified, at least moreso than anyone else's. Hopefully all the individual authors are credited on the back as well.

The UK edition of A Game of Thrones is also the brand new 2011 edition from Tor Books, with several new stories added.

I just like that the "EDITED BY" is a third the font size of the "GEORGE R. R. MARTIN" and the font is almost the exact same as on the newer aSoIaF prints. I think they're really trying to grab people's attention from the shelves and fearing that the "edited by" is going to turn people off :)

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

Having read 1-3: these are a massive amount of fun. Can't vouch for the later ones as they weren't available in sequence (just 10 and 13 or so) in my local bookstore, but the alternate history is succulent.

THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TURTLE SUGGESTS YOU READ THESE.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#6 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

The later ones are just as good. I love the Wild Cards sequence. The later ones have a lot of fun with the 'reality talent show' angle too :)
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostD, on 13 September 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

I just like that the "EDITED BY" is a third the font size of the "GEORGE R. R. MARTIN" and the font is almost the exact same as on the newer aSoIaF prints. I think they're really trying to grab people's attention from the shelves and fearing that the "edited by" is going to turn people off :)

This has been normal practice for big author names and book design since the 1980's....I fail to see why you are surprised by it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 September 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

View PostD, on 13 September 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

This has been normal practice for big author names and book design since the 1980's....I fail to see why you are surprised by it.

Where did I say I was surprised?

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

I'm just finishing up the first trade WILD CARDS...and I'm gonna use this thread cause there isn't another one.

Also because I should apologize to D'rek for being kind of a jerk for whatever reason about her above comment. Sorry D'rek, dunno what was up my butt that day.

Anyways, on topic. I'm absolutely loving this setting, and nearly every story in this first anthology has been spot on perfect so far. I think the only ones that canted sideways on me a bit were the Fortunato one...
Spoiler
and because of that the story kind of falls apart, other than introducing him and his power (which is one of the more bizarre risque powers in the series so far). It was good, but because that bit was fuzzy I wasn't sold on it. And the other I wasn't entirely sold on was Pupppetmaster one with the Succubus and Dwarf and whatnot. What it did right was showing the unrest in Jokertown...what I disliked was
Spoiler
...it was well written I just didn't care much for the subject matter.

Everything else in this book has been total, amazing, addicting GOLD. Especially the whole opening section with Jetboy, Dr., Tachyon, the Four Aces, The HUAC hearings, The Mcarthy era, and even up to the Turtle....man, I adored this book.

Alt history done right, and stays fresh because of the use of multiple authors and multiple characters and viewpoints. I think it especially shines between WITNESS (in which Golden Boy does his turncoat friendly witness thing cause he sees no other way out) and Tachyon's lament about Blythe in which we see a whole other side of the equation. The only thing missing from this volume (and I don't know if it shows up in the final story or not) would be the full-on Earl Sanderson (Black Eagle) POV of the HUAC stuff...I'd love to know whether he thought GB was a traitor or whether he understood their unwinnable position.

Oh and if there exists a story that fleshes out Golden Boy and Black Eagle taking out Peron in Argentina...I wanna read it!

Anyways, I've got ACES HIGH on my desk ready to start later today...the cover of which is apparently Water Lily...who I've yet to meet.

Oh and I LOVE the whole Jetboy's Tomb thing. It's such a historical touchstone.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 December 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

I think the only ones that canted sideways on me a bit were the Fortunato one...
Spoiler

If you listen very carefully you can hear the pitter patter of Tiste Simeons feet, on the British Isles, as he rushes towards the nearest books store.

I should read these books. That sounds fucked up.

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostNot Brent Weeks, on 10 December 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 December 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

I think the only ones that canted sideways on me a bit were the Fortunato one...
Spoiler

If you listen very carefully you can hear the pitter patter of Tiste Simeons feet, on the British Isles, as he rushes towards the nearest books store.

I should read these books. That sounds fucked up.

You really should read them. But fair warning there are like 22 of them now. Still, it's a whole comic book universe that I was unaware of till recently.

And yeah, a lot of it can be really fucked up.

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

Started Book 2, ACES HIGH, last night and read the first 60 pages or so.

More good stuff.

Spoiler

#13 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Good news! More WILD CARDS books are being reprinted in the UK in 2014.

Posted Image

Aces Abroad (Wild Cards #4): 8 May
Down and Dirty (#5): 12 June
Ace in the Hole (#6): 10 July
Dead Man's Hand (#7): 14 August
Lowball (#22): 11 December

Wild Cards (#1), Aces High (#2), Jokers Wild (#3), Inside Straight (#18), Busted Flush (#19), Suicide Kings (#20) and Fort Freak (#21) are already available in the UK.

#14 User is offline   fidge 

• Recruit

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:50 AM

Anybody know who the old guy in the wheelchair is in Lowball?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users