Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tips on Malazan 3.5 dnd campaign

#1 User is offline   Thewaitingman 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

I've recently started a dnd/malazan campaign using the D&D3.5 rules and I'd like some tips arranging the malazan world on the rules. The campaign is set in the dnd world (fearun) were a portal has suddenly opened and malazan-stuff has come through so I don't need a complete set of rules and I can bend them for small malazan entrances.

The way I handled the warrens is that I considered them as specialized wizards who have 2 forbidden schools instead of 1 and receive several bonuses for this fact. The rest of the spells are usable and the effects are adapted to the wizards path, for example a wizard of Thyr will cast cause feat by actually blinding the enemy for the duration or sth like that.

Now I want to insert the following into the campaign and I want your advice on whether (and how) to make detailed builds or leaving it. T'lan Imass, Seguleh, tiste andii, tiste edur

The Tiste Andii and Tiste Edur may prove much easier to adapt giving them respective stat increases and a racial predisposition towards certain arcane spellcasting but the seguleh and T'lan Imass are a difficult bunch to move in the dnd world. The seguleh could be represented by a complete fighter build but I don't think this covers all their abilities...

Any thoughts? Thanks

#2 User is offline   Shadow of Shadowthrone 

• Sergeant
  • What Bugg said.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

I guess my answer is obvious, but if I were you, I'd ditch D&D and go for a system that better suits Malazan - GURPS is an obvious choice as that is the game Erikson & co used, but there are other games that are perhaps even more suitable for a Malazan campaign, such as "Legends of Anglerre" (especially for Warren magic), "The Riddle of Steel" (for gritty combat), etc. But I guess that's not the answer you were looking for :)
As I stated in a different thread hereabouts I am working on a system specifically tailored for Malazan but it's a heck of a long way to go. Personally I would also ditch Faerun and just keep it to the Malazan universe which is much cooler :D

And I guess the easiest way to display for example the Seguleh is to have them be high level as opposed to lower level Malazan infantry soldiers, as an example..

Edit:
I realize now that they actually used the original 1st edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (or just D&D I am not sure) before switching over to GURPS.

This post has been edited by Shadow of Shadowthrone: 12 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Visit my blog of geekery, Stormsongs: slynt.blogspot.com

#3 User is offline   Thewaitingman 

• Recruit

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

Well the thing is I've already started the campaign and the players are level 2,. We wanted to play a dnd campaign and I just thought of making it themed (the players don't read SE). So I can't really switch to another system now although I could get some ideas from another set of rules. I don't really have a problem with the warren system, so far everything has gone smoothly and since the players know neither about the malazan world nor the warren system I've come up with they think I make everything up as I go along (and that's a good thing when one of your players is your ex-dm Posted Image)

So the rules I need are more general: racial traits and special qualities and stuff. Later I may include heroes with detailed leveling but so far any malazan (in the worldly sense) has been described (like: anomander, a jaghut tyrant)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users