Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rake/Cowl

#1 User is offline   Soulcrusher 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

Random question, I believe it's mentioned earlier somewhere in the book, but why did Rake & SIlana want to get cowl :S In the Blackdog forrest he sent her packing and it was mentioned that rake was furious and went hunting for him but no reason why :S

Also, I believe it was mentioned in this book that the Prince K'azz who was with Caladan Brood's army was a fake? Why then did all the old guard go along with it ;)

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:24 AM

Well it's because she's Rake's girlfriend and Cowl hurt her. That's reason enough.

The Old Guard (besides the obvious, Dujek) weren't on Genebackis at all and didn't go along with any of that plan, not sure where you got that idea.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

Unless it was meant (as I read it?) the Guard's "old guard". In which case...read RotCG and find out? ;)

And yeah, don't mess with Silanah. Rake doesn't like it when people mess with Silanah... :S

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

I was thinking that the "old guard" in this instance meant the awoved.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Oh yah, I guess so.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

if that's the question, which it probably is, the answer is that it was a consipracy among the avowed. RotCG explains a lot, and i don't want to say more if OP hasn't read it.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 09 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#7 User is offline   Soulcrusher 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Yeah old guard = avowed ;)

Man I'm a nub sometimes haha

#8 User is offline   Cedz 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

I loved that little ancedote. Just shows you how badass Cowl really is considering he basically bitch slaps Silannah and then proceeds to go toe to toe with Rake for a period of time before one of them bows out (note it isn't mentioned who was the first to flinch).

Considering that little scene, RoTCG sure was a bit of a let down in terms of Cowl.

This post has been edited by Cedz: 05 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

#9 User is offline   12davargo 

• Recruit

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

I'm also like 97.934394% sure that cowl is QB, in MOI QB and Taysrhen (can't remember how to spell his name) had a brief convo about cowl and QB was like...that was me Posted Image. But of course that just over 2% could get me and they were talking about someone else...

#10 User is offline   paradanmellow 

• Unaligned Card
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:art, psychology, potatoes
  • walking the shores of lake Azur

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:27 PM

View Post12davargo, on 10 December 2012 - 04:46 AM, said:

I'm also like 97.934394% sure that cowl is QB, in MOI QB and Taysrhen (can't remember how to spell his name) had a brief convo about cowl and QB was like...that was me Posted Image. But of course that just over 2% could get me and they were talking about someone else...

This is such an interesting speculation. I don't know Cowl's history, and not much of QB's either, but as a rule of thumb I believe the Quick Ben capable of being anyone he chooses by virtue of being already a dozen others. Why I would like to add to your 97.934394% is because in MOI, QB hides from Anomander Rake (anything to do with Silanah?)
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:04 AM

View Postparadanmellow, on 09 August 2015 - 11:27 PM, said:

This is such an interesting speculation. I don't know Cowl's history, and not much of QB's either, but as a rule of thumb I believe the Quick Ben capable of being anyone he chooses by virtue of being already a dozen others. Why I would like to add to your 97.934394% is because in MOI, QB hides from Anomander Rake (anything to do with Silanah?)

I can't remember the specifics off the cuff but back in GotM I'm pretty sure Cowl was messing with Serrat about the same time QB is elsewhere.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   paradanmellow 

• Unaligned Card
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:art, psychology, potatoes
  • walking the shores of lake Azur

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostAbyss, on 10 August 2015 - 02:04 AM, said:

I can't remember the specifics off the cuff but back in GotM I'm pretty sure Cowl was messing with Serrat about the same time QB is elsewhere.

the thinnest alibi, yet sometimes a 2% is all it takes :apt:
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

#13 User is offline   Kellanved's shadow 

• The blade in the shadow
  • Interests:being king of high house shadow
    ordering Cotillion
    ordering the Hounds
    commanding shadows (oh wait I am a shadow)

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:17 AM

View Postparadanmellow, on 10 August 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

the thinnest alibi, yet sometimes a 2% is all it takes ^_^

Quick be was talking about a High mage of the malazan army that was killed in action, not about Cowl.
"I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?"
"Yes" said Brood , "you never learn".

#14 User is offline   Kellanved's shadow 

ordering Cotillion
    ordering the Hounds

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:20 AM

View PostKellanved, on 08 February 2016 - 07:17 AM, said:

View Postparadanmellow, on 10 August 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

the thinnest alibi, yet sometimes a 2% is all it takes ^_^

Quick be was talking about a High mage of the malazan army that was killed in action, not about Cowl. It was simply Quick Ben saying that he was always around and that Tay never know.

This post has been edited by Kellanved's shadow: 11 February 2016 - 04:58 AM

"I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?"

#15 User is offline   Kellanved's shadow 

ordering Cotillion
    ordering the Hounds

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:24 AM

View PostCedz, on 05 October 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

I loved that little ancedote. Just shows you how badass Cowl really is considering he basically bitch slaps Silannah and then proceeds to go toe to toe with Rake for a period of time before one of them bows out (note it isn't mentioned who was the first to flinch).

Considering that little scene, RoTCG sure was a bit of a let down in terms of Cowl.

Mind you Rake probably had allies in the woods making him hold back a little wile Cowl had a huge target in Moon Spawn with no allies near it. Not to take away from what Cowl could do. Anyone that is able to tussle with the Son of Darkness and come out of it alive is a powerful mother fucker.

This post has been edited by Kellanved's shadow: 08 February 2016 - 07:26 AM

#16 User is offline   Hinter 

• First Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:53 PM

Why would Cowl be attacking Silanah though? He's Crimson Guard who are allies of Rake aren't they? If not I have totally misead the entire flippin' series!

#17 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:07 AM

They arent allies of Rake, they are allies of Caladan Brood. The whole ‘alliance’ is a rather loose grouping of mercenary companies. Silanah is a dragon and if I recall correctly during the fights in Blackdog Forest some Crimson Guard members were caught in her crossfire, so to speak. So Cowl showedhis displeasure, which obviously didnt go down well with her boyfriend.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users