Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Physical appearance of the Shake Skin colour in particular Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Johnny Phoenix 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

I don't seem to recall any physical descriptions for the Shake so I was wondering what their skin colour would be since they have Andii blood in them. I would imagine that most of the Shake would have dark human skin, but what about Yan Tovis and Yedan Derryg? They seem to have a lot more Andii blood in them than the rest. But how would the colours of human and Andii skin mix? I imagine they would either have very dark negro skin (but not unnaturally jet black like Tiste Andii) or would be a dark grey like the Edur. Also, were the Shake originally pure-blooded Tiste Andii living on the shore instead of Kharkanas? Or did a group of humans make contact with Kurald Galain millenia ago and moved to the shore? And there is also K'Chain Che'Malle blood in them? This has gotta be the most poorly explained group of people in the book.

#2 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

the blood of the shake is mostly human afaik. they might have a slightly darker cast, but for all intents and purposes, they are humans little different from the letherii. more inheritors than actual descendants of a tiste group, i'd say. apparently the andii didn't stay among them long. the k'chain blood comes from the matron releasing her eggs into the sea way back when the tiste were slaughtering her colony. sometimes a k'chain seed or something becomes parasitically attached to a pregnant shake woman who's been swimming in the ocean, sometimes creating a monstrosity, but sometimes just a witch/warlock. i agree that the shake are not well explained thus far, but that's because their story is very unique/obscure, which tCG gives us a taste of, while the Khar trilogy will hopefully shed some light on their origins among the tiste.

just to be clear - the modern shake of twilight and yeddan derryg are extremely faintly tiste, so much so that they can hardly be considered tiste at all. the royal family has just enough tiste blood to open gallan's road and keep it going.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#3 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Deadsmell says to Yan Tovis in RG: '[…] But damn me, the blood's awful thin. Your skin's the colour of clay – [...]' and as far as I am aware that's the only hint we get at their skin colour.

Choose your pick, then, which kind of clay, but it's probably grey-ish/dark-ish enough to be passed off as the skin of people who spend a lot of time in the sun.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#4 User is offline   Johnny Phoenix 

• Sergeant

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:34 AM

Thanks for the help, makes more sense now.

#5 User is offline   Crow Clan Baby 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

This is quite definitively answered in FoD but giving more info would involve spoiling some stuff. Just RAFO.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users