• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Metal Gear Solid Series Was the "Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes" thread

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

Here's an 11 minute cinematic with some gameplay footage at the end. Looks absolutely amazing. I can't believe this is supposed to be able to run on a PS3 and 360.

There's a little bit more gameplay and commentary in this video where they show off the helicopter function.

http://www.ign.com/v...-14-minute-demo

From EDGE's article on the reveal:

http://www.theverge....ideo-kojima-pax

'Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes' revealed by Hideo Kojima at PAX in first footage

Game designer Hideo Kojima attended his first PAX ever today to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Metal Gear series with fans. In addition to touching on the history of Solid Snake's stealth adventures Kojima debuted footage of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, the next entry in the franchise.

Kojima first talked about the engine that powers Ground Zeroes, the Fox Engine.

"There are a lot of amazing game engines out there — CryEngine, Unreal — but we wanted to get in there and tweak things ourselves," Kojima said through a translator. Kojima Productions wanted to make their game development more efficient, he explained, in terms of creating a cross platform game engine that also supported cloud-based technology.

"You can use it to make an FPS, an adventure game like Uncharted, or something on rails," Kojima said, including an open world game - which is the genre he's making now.

"A Silent Hill, possibly," he added.

"This is not a tech demo, it's a real game running on the Fox Engine," Kojima assured. The demo was shown running on a PC with specs that were comparable to the PlayStation 3, we were told. The gameplay, Kojima said, would be slightly different than the one shown in Japan earlier this week, with steadier controls, thanks to calmer gameplay demonstrators.

The 15 minute demo opens in a rainy military base, with soldiers patrolling a compound filled with hooded prisoners and guard dogs. Wind and rain whipped through the raincoats on those soldiers. Wind physics, the glisten of rain on rubber, and the animation all looked like a generational leap beyond the Metal Gear Solid games we've seen to date. Those soldiers were highly detailed, accessorized with helmets, backpacks, gloves, and radios. Rain water dripped believably down their faces, curving over cracks and folds.

Those soldiers, their identity a mystery — but clearly disguised to look like Fox soldiers — in the early portion of the demo, rolled by in a convoy that passed by tanks and soldiers on foot. Spotlights and headlights flared on the screen, everything animating in great detail. Their leader, a man with a cowboy hat and a horribly disfigured face lead them toward a helicopter and away from the base. They ripped their Fox patches from their clothes, tossing them from the chopper.

The demo then cuts to Snake, scaling the side of a mountain. Pulling a pair of night vision goggles from his face, he reveals an eyepatch. "Kept you waiting, huh?" he says to the man on the other end of his radio (and to the player).

Snake enters the same base to recover Paz and Chico, his targets for this mission. What follows is some traditional gameplay of stealth traversal, with Snake paying close attention to the sweeping of spotlights, trying to avoid being spotted. But this is a "completely open world," Kojima says, offering new freedoms. For example, Snake can steal and pilot vehicles, like helicopters and jeeps.

For now, Snake simply takes out a guard manning a spotlight with a supressor-mounted gun. Then he commandeers a vehicle, driving a jeep toward the base. He's in danger of being spotted, so he quickly backs up — generating laughs from the crowd. Kojima also touched on another new gameplay tactic for Snake, air support.

"You can use a flare to call in a helicopter at any time," Kojima said, offering covering fire if needed. In swooped an attack chopper, complete with a "Flight of the Valkyries" soundtrack. Kojima promises that players can choose which song they want to play when their helicopter flies in.

To end the demo, Snake entered that helicopter and took off from the base, watching from the window as he flew off in the distance. Kojima says the helicopter can be used by Snake to fly to other missions and other countries, a hint at the expanse of the open world of Ground Zeroes.

Following the demo, Kojima said that Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is not necessarily Metal Gear Solid 5. He's not ready to call it that, he said. Instead, Kojima called it a "prologue," leading to speculation that the Snake of Ground Zeroes might be Big Boss.

"One thing I want to make clear is that Ground Zeroes is something I'm making myself," Kojima said, adding that he's focusing all of his energies on Snake's next adventure.

"I want to make it clear that Snake is back, but I'm also back."

----------------

I haven't played a MGS game since the first one on the PS1. I really need to get around to playing the HD releases. I've been holding out because I heard that they were going to show up on the PSN soon.

This post has been edited by Apt Hoc: 14 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

Seriously. Nobody else amazed by this video. It oozes cinematic awesomeness.

#3 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

The in-game at the end - is that off a high spec PC or that from PS3/Xbox version? Either way it looks awesome!

Now developers have had plenty of time to play with the PS3/Xbox they seem to be maxing the shit out of them...

Never really played the MGS games, played the odd game for a hour or so at a mates but they are not my cup of tea. I hear only good things about them though.

On a side note - don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but a MGS film - now that is something I will look forward to!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

According to Kojima the demo was running off a PC built to current generation consoles standard. But the new graphics engine (I think it's called the Fox engine) that the game was meant to demonstrate is designed for use with future consoles in mind.

The mention of the live action MGS film is interesting. I've not really heard anything about it yet. I wonder if it is meant to be shot via Holywood or its going to be a Japanese film. It will certainly be interesting to see if Kojimas approach to cinematic videogames translates well into a motion picture.

#5 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

Then bring on the future, though it's pretty impressive with some of the stuff they are releasing nowadays for six? year old console technology, Uncharted 2, GoW 3 etc were smart but that looks something else. The MGS series has always had quality graphics, even going back to the PS days. (and whilst writing this I finally decided to read your full post ha and seen the details on the spec demos and PC details... yah, guilty!)

From what I gather, the movie - it will be a Hollywood production.

For movie conversations, I think it's one of the few game franchises that could actually make that leap, it already has a solid - and very large - fan base. The games have enough kapow to appeal to a large, mass market but it needs to be done correctly and that will be the key. No Super Mario please...

http://uk.ign.com/ar...the-movie-right

Is a decent read.

Similarly (and slightly off topic) Assassins Creed is one franchise that could work and has the potential to knock the box office socks off if done right. Ubisoft demanded mad control on the project, apparently that is why a load of movie studios turned down the chance to produce it, Sony caved and got the deal. It will be interesting to see how the two stories plan out, that and MGS, how much influence the game developers have and if it will work.

I hope that it does, it's about time they did it and did it right...

And if they do, roll on GoW! Could be a new direction for Sony, video game movies.

And whilst writing that above I just read Columbia Pictures who have MGS are a subsidiary of Sony.

This post has been edited by champ: 03 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#6 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

I'm very excited for this game.

That said, I hope it doesn't follow Peace Walker too closely. Paz and Chico (both PW characters) are mentioned in the video, which makes me cringe a little. PW was a good game overall, but it's Kojima's first real storytelling failure in my opinion.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#7 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

Anyone see this yet? Whether its a new MGS game or part of Ground Zeroes I'm excited. http://ca.ign.com/vi...om-pain-trailer

No Touchy.

#8 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

A lot of speculation going around that it's going to be MGS5, since GZ is supposedly a prequel to 5.

Very interesting trailer, though. Kojima fucking with us as usual. I came out of that thinking two things: that was amazing, and what the fuck just happened?

Anyway, I'm hoping that GZ retcons the MGS: Peace Walker Chapter 5 ending. A lingerie-wearing sixteen-year-old girl piloting a Metal Gear was worse than Raiden and Rose in 2. Granted, I had quite a few problems with Peace Walker's story (I felt it was Kojima's first real misstep), but it's stuff I can live with as long as the Chapter 5 bullshit isn't cannon.
~Steven Erikson

#9 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Have yet to get back into MGS , mainly because I found splinter cell conviction infinately more engaging. MGS seems to be ailing from need to impress throw panties at them syndrome. I want to play the games they release because I love the unique play experience these games offer but I could not be bothered with the convuluted backstory they keep bludgeoning us with.

Who am I playing as? Big boss or pliskin? Maybe Raidens a good guy, maybe not??? Oh, am I really saving the world from huge T-rexing mechs with a few rpgs of infinite destruction? Why is this damn doctor talking to me on my damn radio? Why cant I play music?? Who the hell is Ocelot, why wont he die???

now wait I KINDA love the fact MGS is convuluted and plot twisty like liquorish but I really find it tough to care now as its becoming more and more outlandish and less and less kill everything with a gimpy limp and my bear hands! RAWR. Splinter cell on the other hand sticks to its guns, and it felt like the story kept getting better and better. I hope Kojima can turn the MGS franchise around. I don't really care if we end up fighting sharks in an automated submarine/tank/goldfish, as long as it all makes sense in the end. Sense is something MGS sorely lacks right now. Helicopter air support whenever you want??? From eating snakes to infinate glomping helicopters...cant say I support that move, but hey, the visuals are stunning so atleast we have that.

/rant.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are coming to PC!

http://www.ign.com/a...es-coming-to-pc

They're already up on the store.

http://store.steampo...com/app/311340/
http://store.steampo...com/app/287700/

I squealed like a little girl when I heard this.

EDIT: Posted Image

This post has been edited by Apt Hoc: 14 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

#11 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

PC port!?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Are you asking whether the game was developed for PC or consoles first? Because I the consoles have been the original focus one assumes. However the port of Metal Gear Rising was great and supposedly the new FOX engine is well suited for PC development... what ever that means.

#13 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

What ever that means!?

Repeating the subject of the previous sentence back to the person you're talking to like a gruff parrot!?

Metal Gear!?!?!

(this is great news, MGR was fantastic and I need to get the pc port to work on my machine to play more)
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 14 August 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

(this is great news, MGR was fantastic and I need to get the pc port to work on my machine to play more)

You still haven't witnessed that ending? You are missing out!

#15 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

Missing out!?

Nah I have experienced the ending (girlfriend has a PS3), and it is a work of art.

#16 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Come on Kojima, just gimme a release date.

Multiple Snakes/base invasion is interesting. I wonder if that multiplayer aspect is going to be completely separated from the storytelling as it was in Peace Walker. Not that I mind weirdness - it's MGS after all - but justifying the existence of multiple mother bases and Big Bosses would be a retcon too big for me to swallow.

I loved MGR for the gameplay, and the last boss was hilariously silly in a way that only Metal Gear games can achieve. That said, it exists in an alternate universe in my mind. I really don't consider it taking place after MGS4, as 4 was such a great conclusion to the series.
~Steven Erikson

#17 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

Was Metal Gear always this silly? I keep seeing videos with electrified horse crap mines, and bikini clad boxes suprising troops and steeling goats with fulton ballos

#18 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

I'd say the silliness really kicked in around Sons of LIberty, although MGS1 had its fair share of it as well. Kojima always does an excellent job mixing the absurd with the serious. Just go watch the two E3 trailers that have been released for an entirely different feel.
~Steven Erikson

#19 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:40 AM

I bought Ground Zeroes during the Steam Sale.

I completely agree with the criticism of what is basically a small demo. They should have built a better base for you to play around in considering the price.

On the other hand, as a MGS fan, IT'S SO GOOD! OH GOD I NEED PHANTOM PAIN INSIDE ME!

The visuals themselves were splendid but what really appealed to me is the streamlining of the mechanics. MGS4 was a much more pleasent stealth game, compared to 3, that you could easily play as a third person shooter, which I did. Ground Zeroes suggests that combat and movement in general in MGS5 is going to be even more satisfying.

The story set-up is very interesting.

If I hadn't watched the released footage from MGS5 then I would think they were wiping the board and starting over. There's some "end of the world" level shit that takes place at the end of Ground Zeroes. However it also sets up a story that is much more personal this time.

Supposedly this game might be the one that reveals Big Boss fall. Where he goes from being a hero to a villain. I think Ground Zeroes is a great teaser.

#20 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:02 AM

I hope these new MGS come out on PC cause I will deff not be buying ps4 anytime soon. Still gotta play Peace Walker.

I bought Metal Gear Rising and played an hour before I got bored. Is the story good for that game? Cause I cant say I am a fan of the hack and slash gameplay.
No Touchy.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users