Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

For the Legacy of Cain: Soul Reaver fans

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Here's a thread discussing the troubled development of the game and images and descriptions of a ton of cut content that never made it into the game.

I haven't looked through it all because I plan to play the game one day, when I get around to it, and don't want to spoil the story, but it looks like half the game was missing from the final release:

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=488564

I seem to recall one or two of you praising the game so I thought you might get a kick out of this.

#2 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

Wow, that's a shame, it was a damn fine game!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#3 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hm. To be quite honest, it's a good thing they cut all that content. With it, SR1 would've been final, and there'd be no SR2 and Defiance to complete a more involving, epic and awesome storyline than they originally wanted. Nice find still, though.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#4 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

LoK: the Lost Worlds has had most of this stuff ages ago, so it's no big surprise to me. Nice to see it getting some exposure.

Gotta echo what Gothos said, though: if SR1 was self-contained, it'd have ended up being a generic "get back at the bad guy and save the world" story, as opposed to the epic it turned out to be after the amazing story (if somewhat sub-par gameplay) of SR2
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

From the thread above I was unaware that the story was continued. I thought all these elements were just lost to the cutting room floor. Now I am even more interested in picking up the series.

#6 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

Do so. Best voice acting you'll ever hear, awesome writing and storytelling. TBH I liked SR2 in gameplay terms as well as writing, most seem not to agree. Defiance can get seriously frustrating in its platforming elements and camera movement, but is also a great game. Do pick them up, Apt. Nao.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

I'll get around to them. Eventually. My "Games I need to play" pile is an ever growing mountain of regret and despair. Right now I am playing the Lost Planet games after they were recommended to me. Next up I am looking to get my hands on Metal Gear Solid 2 so I can get that series out of the way.

#8 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Incidentally, the entire series (bar the original, and best--Blood Omen 1) is now available on GOG.

my ViSA gift card is primed and ready for when GOG releases BO1. or for when they have a Squeenix sale at 50% off.

#9 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

BO1 might be challenging to run on modern machines, myself I used to get crashes on some cinematics without fail. Still a fun game. VAE VICTIS

#10 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Ah, one of my favourite games ever. Yeah, I heard back in the day that about a third of the planned content was cut out of the final release - which does explain several locations and powers not really having a point to them. Very cool to explore and find, but entirely unnecessary to completing the game, despite them seeming like they should have a point to them at the time.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#11 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:21 AM

Ah, Soul Reaver. Probably my favorie psone game. As stated above, great voice acting, terrific story, and wonderful soundtrack. I still play it today. It's available for download to ps3, and it's cheap. Only 5 or 10 bux. I usually just warp to this or that level, find a quiet place to hang out and listen to the music.
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#12 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:08 AM

View PostKruppe of Darujhistan, on 01 October 2016 - 12:21 AM, said:

Ah, Soul Reaver. Probably my favorie psone game. As stated above, great voice acting, terrific story, and wonderful soundtrack. I still play it today. It's available for download to ps3, and it's cheap. Only 5 or 10 bux. I usually just warp to this or that level, find a quiet place to hang out and listen to the music.

LoK is to my mind, the greatest single games story to come to the PC (disclaimer: I'm not including the Metal Gear in this, b/c only 2 of them made it to PC, as opposed to the entire LoK

It's a very troubled series that had an incredibly hard time finding its voice-i.e, just what it wanted to be. No 2 games are the same genre- quite literally. Only Blood Omen 2 (often referred to as teh red-headed stepchild of the series) and Defiance (the last game) have a somewhat-similar feel to their gameplay (only somewhat).
This meant the series was always defined by its Story (the capital is not a typo).

From its humble beginnings, in BO1 (the "Zelda with vampires" one) to the concentrated awesome that was Soul Reaver 2 (never mind the boring to tears gameplay- it was all about the dialogue in the cutscenes), this is the series that quite literally owes its fame to its voice actors.

There's nothing I want more in gaming than a proper sequel to Defiance. There's nothing I would fear more than a 3-d "re-make" of Blood Omen 1.

The original Soul Reaver is my template for what a 3d action/adventure game should be like. I love Darksiders because it came the closes to using teh same formula as SR1.

There's been one cancelled sequel (Dark Prophecy) and one cancelled spin-off game ("Dark Sun", gameplay footage leaked earlier this year, I think.) This is one of those Eidos IPs Squeenix is sitting [i] really tight on, but it knows there's gonna be a decent interest for it. But with Crystal Dynamics doing nothing but Tomb raider, and Amy Henning having left for Naughty Dog, there's a big question of whether it's possible to actually bring LoK back.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 01 October 2016 - 06:11 AM

#13 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:08 PM

As much as I'd like to see a remake/reboot of the series, I'm sure I'd be disappointed. Story, puzzle solving and exploration would be trumped by pointless mayhem and droves of mooks and minions, ala Tomb Raider remakes/reboots. Nothing was sadder to me than the one room tombs of the last TR game.
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users