Malazan Empire: Paran travelling by ship to Seven Cities? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paran travelling by ship to Seven Cities? Why??

#1 User is offline   Slich 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

OK, upon a re-read this is bugging me. After Krupp talked to Paran, why does he climb on a boat when speed is of such essence??? He can just use the Azath portals and rock up right there on Seven Cities.

The only reasons I can think of for this is:
  • somehow Krupp knew he would meet Apsalar and Ganath and the "journey" is important
  • Travelling by horse across Seven Cities from the Azath house would take longer than the boat/horse ride
I mean, there is also the possibility that you can travel to non-Azath houses as was hinted at in DH... just get the correct Tile and BAM.

Any thoughts on this?

#2 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

The question should be: did Paran know of Tremorlor? And how far it is from where he wants to go? Hell, did Paran even know how the Azath work? He's only ever been to the one in Darujhistan.

Answer: probably not.

Besides, it's not like the Azath are easy teleportation devices. You know, as opposed to probably being sentient things that collect anything that might have some power and that are full of beings one would not want to come across anywhere, never mind a place where you might find yourself trapped.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#3 User is offline   Malbolge 

• Corporal

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

In addition, Tremorlor is, somewhat, lost, and lies, somewhere, in the heart of Raraku. Maybe Paran didn't want to step out on the other side somewhere in Raraku, lost in a desert, with the tail end of the 7C Rebellion going on. If he could even get out the other side... wasn't Termorlor surrounded by a maze of roots? I can't remember, but how did Icarium, Mappo, Fiddler etc. find it in DG? Or rather, how did Ap'salar and her father find it (because Icarium and them were following Ap'salar)?

Edit: That is, Tremorlor is notoriously difficult to find (the Vanished Roads, and perhaps being time-aspected), and so is likely to be difficult to find your way from, if you emerge from it. End Edit.

Also, Paran may have been reticent to use his Master of the Deck and the Azath abilities, or just finding his feet with them. He may have known there was a way through, but may have decided the risks were too great, or the way too difficult.

This post has been edited by Malbolge: 26 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

Boat rides are fun.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

I think it was probably more convenient by warren/boat. Seven Cities is a big place, and Tremorlor is not necessarily good place to set out from, depending on where you want to go.

Also, what, Worrywort said.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#6 User is offline   Acorn 

• Sergeant
  • SHHH!!

The walls have feet.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

If you have finished the book, then you will have undoubtedly come across the instance where Paran (According to my readers, PAH-rAHn, or PARR-AN or Par-AHN.. Maybe I should kill them all over again.) confronts the crazy creepy disease-Lady. And forgive the generalizations because having such voices in my head speak the books to me has most likely worn away some of the details.

If you, or others reading, have not gotten that far, it is in spoilers... Because I'm a nice guy!

Spoiler

Exactly.

#7 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

"cleveruity"
Ooh. You invented a word. I wish I could invent a word. :rolleyes:
If I recall correctly (don't have a copy handy), he said something about needing time to reflect upon his new status. Boats would be a good place for that as long as one didn't have to spend all their time actually sailing it.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#8 User is offline   Acorn 

• Sergeant
  • SHHH!!

The walls have feet.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Gnaw, on 28 August 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

"cleveruity"
Ooh. You invented a word. I wish I could invent a word. :rolleyes:
If I recall correctly (don't have a copy handy), he said something about needing time to reflect upon his new status. Boats would be a good place for that as long as one didn't have to spend all their time actually sailing it.

Unless of course one gets sea sickly. Then the only things you reflect on are the bottom of a bucket and the railing of the deck! But then the Master of the Deck (of his ship and of dragons of course.... Did he name his ship "the Eleint"?? That would be damn near genius) cannot actually get sick, and he has a stomach of brutal strength... Given that he did not immediately empty his prior meals on the very sight of the site of Poliel, leads me to question if he can even throw up at all.

So, we have uncovered several important questions SE must answer for!

Did Paran name his ship? If so, was it "The Eleint"? Or maybe something showing more cleveruity!?
Can an Ascendant get sea sick?
Can they even throw up at all?

If being an Ascendant or God is proof against illness, then the Crippled God is faking it!!!! HOW DARE HE!

Rawr.

On a side note (to the side note on the aside of the side that was created, thus... on the original side of the noting):

I searched through TBH on my kindle for reference to the passage you mentioned and I couldn't find it (very frustrating) but I do recall it... BAH!!!!!!!!!!! I searched and skimmed every reference to "Paran" until my eyes felt like they were going to plop right out and run away with the neighbor's girlfriend.... Er... Right.

Paran, Master of the Deck of "The Eleint": Batten down the hatches! Trim those sails! Swab the deck! No you inbred imbicilic idiot, you don't POOP on the poop deck! DEAR GODS BELOW!!
Sailor: Well what the hell is the poop deck for if not for pooping!?!
Paran: Um... I... Well.. I don't really know.

EXACTLY!

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

Sorry makes the point that 7C is a very very dangerous place for ascendents. Arriving by boat is lower profile than gate or Azath house, and it's not like Tremolor was a safe happy place, given that you have to exit through a crazed maze of rabid vines and insane shapeshifters.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   12davargo 

• Recruit

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

Did you guys also forget that he can just use his fast travel fuction? He was able to travel to moons spawn at the end of MOI by just drawing a rough copy of it in the ground and poof him and Quick Ben were there. Now we know that Moons Spawn isn't any kind of special place like one of the thrones (how he traveled to the bone thrones and shadow (I think)). So why couldn't he just be like hmmm I think Dujek might be here (draw, poof) nope, try another place (draw, poof), several minutes later....

Also just thought of something he's got his otaratal sword with him which might affect, but he's also Master of the Fucking Deck. So...

#11 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

12davargo, on 20 October 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

Did you guys also forget that he can just use his fast travel fuction? He was able to travel to moons spawn at the end of MOI by just drawing a rough copy of it in the ground and poof him and Quick Ben were there. Now we know that Moons Spawn isn't any kind of special place like one of the thrones (how he traveled to the bone thrones and shadow (I think)). So why couldn't he just be like hmmm I think Dujek might be here (draw, poof) nope, try another place (draw, poof), several minutes later....

Also just thought of something he's got his otaratal sword with him which might affect, but he's also Master of the Fucking Deck. So...

No, they didn't forget it. That's an even more ostentatious arrival than by Azath, so popping in by that means, would immediately alert his "enemies" as to his potential and thus negate his advantage.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12 User is offline   12davargo 

• Recruit

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

HoosierDaddy, on 21 October 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

12davargo, on 20 October 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

No, they didn't forget it. That's an even more ostentatious arrival than by Azath, so popping in by that means, would immediately alert his "enemies" as to his potential and thus negate his advantage.

Ok so instead of losing his advantage he decided to risk Dujek's life and sacrifice hundreds of thousands of peoples lives? That doesn't sound like Paran to me, he seems more willing to risk himself rather than others.

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

What do you mean by that? What risk and sacrifice are you talking about that Paran had a hand in?

#14 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

He means if he had gotten there faster perhaps he'd have been able to save Dujek.

I'm not so sure, though, because then Poliel and other hostile ascendants would know, the instant he was there.

Also, he might not have been able to do anything due to the Deragoth not yet being positioned for his eventual deicide.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Paran didn't know what was happening at Dujek's camp.

And a totally workable answer is simply that 7C is too dangerous for him to just Deck-jump to, especially since a large chunk of his plan to deal with Poliel involved her not knowing who he was.

Also when he Deck-jumped in MoI QB was there to guide him. He may not have been as comfortable doing it solo. Note he needed the T3 assistance to get through the warrens to the Deragoth statues.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Yah, Dujek's Host wasn't the epicenter of the plague, which was already starting in HoC...they just happened to walk into that situation, nobody (including Paran) predicting it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users