Malazan Empire: my review of FOD - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

my review of FOD finally (no spoilers for those who care)

#1 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:10 AM

So, I finally got my review done for FOD. I thought it was pretty great, though it's obviously only the beginning. I can't wait to see where it goes from here. An excerpt of the review is below (yes, it's long - around 1700 words, and there is much more at the blog).

Oh, and what was going to be an addendum to the review sort of grew into a rant all it's own.

For fans of Malazan, many of the characters of Forge of Darkness are well known from their roles in the Malazan series. Foremost of course is Anomander and his two brothers, but there are many other of the Tiste that we’ve only seen hints of before, many of the elder gods (though before they are recognized as elder or even gods), a few Jaghut and there is mention of such races/species as the Thel Akai, Forkrulkan, Jheck and Jhelarkan, the Shake, and the dog runners (Imass). I predict that really hardcore fans will be both ecstatic and a bit enraged by Erikson’s handling of characters long known and loved (to varying degrees). The characters that we see here are different – first and foremost, they hundreds of thousands of years younger, and quite often, very literally young. They are in development, they haven’t yet seen the millennia of hardship and pain to come, the power of magic has not yet come into the world, the gods are relatively unknown, and the realities of mortality and immortality are not comprehended. Memories from the original series are likely not as factual as fans would like, perspective is always key and Erikson immediately plays a ‘get out of jail free’ card at the start with a Prelude that explains that this text is a story told by a poet who happily admits to presenting it the way prefers to so that the thematic goals are properly achieved. Oh how this enrages fans and brings me joy (but much more on this here).

But, to bring the circle back around, I believe that this is a must read for fans of the Malazan world. I imagine that most fans are like myself and have forgotten many of the details of the massive, million-work plus series. The generally small supporting roles played by and often vague references to the Tiste we see in Forge of Darkness are equally, forgotten, misremembered and remembered in the fog of the aftermath of the Malazan series. And that’s fine – we get to meet them all again for the first time and in addition, we get to see the shattering of the ancient world and the birth of the one the series takes place in. And it’s all told though Erikson’s brilliant writing.

In Forge of Darkness Erikson shows a deeply moving and tragic beginning of the end of a civilization. In many ways this story belongs in the Dying Earth sub-genre. Not only is the Tiste civilization moving toward a civil war, but the entire world is in the beginning stages of being remade. And the forces behind this inevitable decent equate those of the human condition that Erikson writes to in everything he does. The Tiste civilization is destroying itself through all of the realities of human motivation – power, segregation of society, religious fervor, neglect, ambition, etc. The land has been destroyed, used up. The spoils of a great victory in war prove to be poison. And as always, the best of intentions have tragic consequences.

The most evident of the frameworks that Erikson chooses to explore the death of a people and world is through family. Almost every relationship shown in the book boils down to that of family – parenthood, mothers, fathers, kids, bastards, father and mother figures, absence, brother, sister, grandmother, etc. This exploration of family is powerful and not easily pinned down, but everything comes down to it. From the over-arching rise of the religious figureheads (and gods) of Mother Dark and Father Light, to the evil daughters of Draconus, to the his troubled bastard son, the Purake brothers and their devotion to each other, the unhealthy love of a painter for his sister, and so on. Civilization and indeed the entire world is presented as an extended family, though not necessarily a traditional one. All of the pain, love and dysfunction coalesce into something tragic, though, if I know Erikson as I think I do, ultimately hopeful.

Through this Erikson explores some of the concepts that human nature (and the fantasy genre) tends to hold in high regard – justice, grief, vengeance, right vs. wrong, aristocracy, sexuality, sacrifice and others. These explorations often come from the minds and conversations of people that many would not associate with such deep explorations – the young, the soldiers and even the servants.

But, no worries for those craving action, there is plenty of action, though it flows at metered pace. There are quests across alien, desolate lands. Creatures emerge from the Vitr. Battles are fought, slaughter rendered. Death comes, magic descends and a proud son greets the Lord of Hate, who writes an unending suicide note.

Full Review

#2 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

I like that review, and may I also compliment you on the rant that goes with it? I personally totally agree and it's a pity so many people seem to willingly ignore what it is about that books that is truly important and focus on minutiae. I'd really like to give even more rep for it, but alas only one rep point per post..
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#3 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

Good to hear about the Vitr; that seemed like a rather out-of-left-field concept in OST.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#4 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 24 August 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

Good to hear about the Vitr; that seemed like a rather out-of-left-field concept in OST.

Maybe "Forge of Darkness" was originally supposed to be published first/earlier? Probably not, but maybe?

This post has been edited by Asharak: 24 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

#5 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

I'm making this post so that I remember to read this when I get home from work today.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#6 User is offline   waylander001 

• Slayer

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

Great review - even greater rant! Love itttttttttt
There were clouds closed fast round the moon. And one by one, gardens died .....

#7 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

I agree with what you say Kcf in the review.
But I do understand the ranter's. I might classify myself as a mild one. I don't think all inconsistancy nit-picks are to be ignored. Malazan is well known for cracking re-reads and if things are now inconsistant on re-reads it is a little..jarring.
I'm talking about genuine errors made through lack of editing to make the books more consistant (I now get the feeling new Malaz books are always edited internally rather than comparing them with what came before. The Tarthenal now refered to as Teblor in TCG is a good example. Brood now seemingly just being a prick to the T'lan Imass in MoI is another one.) rather than deliberate changes made by SE in order to advance themes which I have no problem with. (SE's changes to Osserc's daughters in FoD. No problem with them at all. Harlo's existance in TTH, no problem with him at all. Those changes were made for storyline purposes which is different)

The simple fear for the ranters is, every time SE writes something beautiful and amazing in one book about some history/actions of some character or such, the nagging fear is that this will somehow be negated or altered in an upcoming book afterwards. Not though an unrealiable narrator device but actually changed in some fashion through forgetfulness and not author intent.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 26 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

#8 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

I don't know, the little nit-picking details that get mixed along the way are a pretty small price to pay for a 1 book a year. I'm sure that if it was 2, 3 or 4 years between books, then they might get caught, but...

So, I'll give those a pass. Because they still don't matter.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users