Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sunday Times bestseller?

#1 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

SE's last few Malazan installments made it to the Sunday Times bestseller list, but I haven't been able to find anything regarding FoD.

Does anyone know if it made it??

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#2 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

As far as I can tell, nope.

http://www.nytimes.c...ction/list.html
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Maybe the marketing team dident do a good enough job to let people know the book existed, too bad for Erikson.

I'm about 1/3 into the book, so far it's been interesting, but I don't really see much to draw new readers to the series. Most of my enjoyment of the book comes from having read MBOTF, taken on its own the book is pretty boring so far. Im not convinced it has the plot to be a "hit".

This post has been edited by Asharak: 19 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

#4 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostAsharak, on 19 August 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Maybe the marketing team dident do a good enough job to let people know the book existed, too bad for Erikson.

I'm about 1/3 into the book, so far it's been interesting, but I don't really see much to draw new readers to the series. Most of my enjoyment of the book comes from having read MBOTF, taken on its own the book is pretty boring so far. Im not convinced it has the plot to be a "hit".

I doubt it was really intended to draw new readers, because let's face it, most of the enjoyment of FoD comes, as you say, from having read the MBotF.

Beisdes, the previous installments made the list because of SE's fanbase. Being late installments in an series and all, they probably hadn't drawn new readers either. This is just a case of not enough fans buying it so far.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#5 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

"I doubt it was really intended to draw new readers, because let's face it, most of the enjoyment of FoD comes, as you say, from having read the MBotF."

I'm pretty certain it's been said by the publisher and Erikson a couple of times that this trilogy was supposed to work on its own, being a good place to begin for new readers. Erikson said at least once that this is possibly a better introduction than "Gardens of the Moon". I really disagree with this, FOD (atleast what I have read of it) plays heavily on the reader having already read MBOTF(and it works really well in that way), but almost all the cool stuff would not seam significant to a newcomer.

This post has been edited by Asharak: 19 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

#6 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:59 AM

There has been a lot less interest about FoD that I ever thought possible. My giveaway for the book attracted about a 1/3 of the registrations that my previous Malazan contests did. And my advance review of FoD brought in less than half of the hits that my advance review of TCG racked up... :)

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#7 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

This is kinda weird because Anomander is perhaps the second or third most popular character in the books (Quick Ben and Whiskeyjack being the others).

Perhaps there was a lack of association between "Forge of Darkness" and Anomander. I do think that this book will sell steadily over time. It'll pick up new readers constantly.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

"There has been a lot less interest about FoD that I ever thought possible. My giveaway for the book attracted about a 1/3 of the registrations that my previous Malazan contests did. And my advance review of FoD brought in less than half of the hits that my advance review of TCG racked up... :) "

I'm thinking it has to be that a lot of readers simply don't know it exists. The publisher should have put a note in the back of TCG explaining the future installments of the series, people who haven't read interviews with the author probably have no idea this trilogy was coming.

This post has been edited by Asharak: 24 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

#9 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

I doubt it. . .

I mean, there has been a lot of online publicity about FoD. Especially coming from tor.com. And the fact that the last few Malazan installments have made it on the Sunday Times bestseller list means that the book was stocked in vast quantities by bookstores.

It will be interesting to see if the book will appear on the NYT bestseller list. . .

Patrick

#10 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

The book did not appear on the shelves of any of my local bookshops (three in this town) until almost a week after publication date. If that's a nationwide problem, it might indicate why the book has not appeared on the initial lists. Maybe next week?

Note: The Sunday Times is a British newspaper. It is not the same as the American New York Times, despite their similar names and the similar importance of their relative book lists.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#11 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Any news on how much the book has sold? I still say the problem is that most people probably dont know that TCG wasnt the end, and that there should have been a note explaining the future of the series in the back of that book.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users