• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dragnipur

#1 User is offline   least branch 

• proud member of shadow realm
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Family,reading,staying sober and sane,

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

Did Barathol and Humble Measure remake a piece of Dragnipur ,what else could of made Barathol feel so dirty any thoughts.

This post has been edited by least branch: 12 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

#2 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:33 AM

Yes. Turned them into crossbow bolts.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   gandrin 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Deciphering truth and escaping into fantasy

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

View Postworrywort, on 12 August 2012 - 03:33 AM, said:

Yes. Turned them into crossbow bolts.

WHOA! That makes sense, but how on earth did you come to that conclusion? I didn't see much hint of that at all. It's like an easter egg. Kruppe steals the shards of "something" + Barathol makes something that is terrible and has to be coated in wax + Crossbow bolts are coated in wax and hurt the Tyrant=.... I dunno!

That's all you get! Never a hint more from what I can tell. But I guess that has to be it. Nice job. And those are the most dangerous bolts ever--I hope Kruppe picked them up at the end. Although--there is no more "dragnipur" realm, so who know what they do anymore.

But why did he have to meet with that witch?

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

The witch was carving the shafts
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   least branch 

• proud member of shadow realm
  • Interests:Family,reading,staying sober and sane,

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

Wow I missed that have to read again. but thats what is great about the series always something new

#6 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

Was there anything in the text that actually spelled this out anywhere, or is "it was Dragnipur" just the theory that best fits all the data? I totally agree that the theory's correct, BTW, I just never would have figured it out on my own.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#7 User is offline   Seli 

• Recruit

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 24 August 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

Was there anything in the text that actually spelled this out anywhere, or is "it was Dragnipur" just the theory that best fits all the data? I totally agree that the theory's correct, BTW, I just never would have figured it out on my own.

As far as I remember it is only implied, but does fit all the small pieces of information perfectly.

#8 User is offline   hadoken13 

• Corporal

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostSeli, on 24 August 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 24 August 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

As far as I remember it is only implied, but does fit all the small pieces of information perfectly.

Actually, now that I think of it,

Spoiler

Edit: forgot spoiler tabs

This post has been edited by hadoken13: 24 September 2012 - 12:57 AM

#9 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Exactly so.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

I think there was also a hint of extreme cold or the sound of rattling chains at one point while they were handling the shards, but I coul be imagining things.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#11 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

No, I think you might be right. So it's there, it's just extreeeemely subtle.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#12 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 15 August 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

The witch was carving the shafts

And Kruppe had to keep her whacked out high to stop her from joining the rest of the crazy gang at the Tyrants new ball. (at least that is the impression I got from her at the end when she stepped out seemed pretty much unaware of what exactly had been going on.)

#13 User is offline   RSM616 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

this is why i love this forum. i never even realised that shards of dragnipur were used to kill the tyrant but this makes the ending much more interesting than how it originally seemed to me. I guess im going to have to do a reared of the who malazan series including Nok,SW,RoTCG,OST and FOD since its been a while and i have probably missed out on quite a few subtleties within the newest releases.

#14 User is offline   hadoken13 

• Corporal

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

View PostRSM616, on 01 October 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

this is why i love this forum. i never even realised that shards of dragnipur were used to kill the tyrant but this makes the ending much more interesting than how it originally seemed to me. I guess im going to have to do a reared of the who malazan series including Nok,SW,RoTCG,OST and FOD since its been a while and i have probably missed out on quite a few subtleties within the newest releases.

I'm of the same opinion - it's been ages since I've read Erikson's books and I may have to re-read them to refresh my memory, after Forge of Darkness of course!!

#15 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

I thought the whole thing was pretty clear, actually. Shards of something dark that Brood would be very angry to know had gone missing, which come with a faint sound of rattling chains, and that have to be coated in wax to prevent the makers/users from having any direct contact, that somehow kill the tyrant who has heretofore been pretty much unkillable. I mean, it could be something else, but Dragnipur makes way more sense than anything else would.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#16 User is offline   Deck of Dragons 

• Lieutenant

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostRSM616, on 01 October 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Same here! I just finished the book last night and this makes the ending much better! I was wondering how they could ice the Tyrant that easy!

#17 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain
  • Interests:Amontillado Tofu.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

This seems as good a place as any to ask: didn't Kruppe give Torrent a bow and some arrows and didn't he use them to kill Olar Ethil? Could there be a connection here?

#18 User is offline   Mob 

• Corporal

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

View PostOrlion, on 19 July 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

This seems as good a place as any to ask: didn't Kruppe give Torrent a bow and some arrows and didn't he use them to kill Olar Ethil? Could there be a connection here?

Yes, I believe so.

#19 User is offline   DALEcz 

• Recruit

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

Wooow... Damn it, I guess I didn't pay much attention during the reading. I was thinking - why do these strange, black, wax coated bolts suddenly work? Thanks guys! ;)
And now the possible implication to the Torrent killing Olar Ethil... Hmm.. interesting..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users