• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forge of Darkness review

#1 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Okay guys,

My review is now available on the Hostlist. It doesn't contain any spoilers that could kill any part of the tale for readers. But anyone who wants to go into FoD fresh should probably steer clear. This review is akin to all my other Malazan review... ;)

Follow this link to read it!

Cheers,

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#2 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hopefully the Skuhul Ankhadu thing was done on purpose. I would think that most people who only read the series once would know that she is supposed to be Osserc's daughter. Surely SE knows the mythology better than the average reader.

Edit: According to this interview the events in the trilogy are reshaped by the narrator, so who knows what "actually" happened.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 25 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

#3 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

Nice review, will try not to judge too much until I have read the book, but it really does sound like we get "air-time" for every character except the three guys we "all" really want to read about.

This post has been edited by Asharak: 25 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

#4 User is offline   ShanRawr 

• Captain

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

Glad I read the review before the book. Thanks! Now I want my copy...

#5 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

Pat, one question... it's not really that important, but does dear Dapple already have her odd dietary fixation or no?
Spoiler

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#6 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

": According to this interview the events in the trilogy are reshaped by the narrator, so who knows what "actually" happened"

If we are supposed to take that completely serious, then doesn't that kind of ruin the connection between this series and the Malazan story as a whole? If we aren't reading about the real Spinnock Durav (the one who is a main character in TTH) as a young man, but rather some "made up" version of him, then doesn't that take away some of the fun? If we aren't getting to know Draconus, but the "fictional version" of him, then in what way is what we are learning really relevant? If none of the characters are really the "real"characters, doesn't that take away some of the weight and importance of this story?

Still really looking forward to reading this book though.

This post has been edited by Asharak: 26 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

#7 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

View PostAsharak, on 26 July 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

": According to this interview the events in the trilogy are reshaped by the narrator, so who knows what "actually" happened"

If we are supposed to take that completely serious, then doesn't that kind of ruin the connection between this series and the Malazan story as a whole? If we aren't reading about the real Spinnock Durav (the one who is a main character in TTH) as a young man, but rather some "made up" version of him, then doesn't that take away some of the fun? If we aren't getting to know Draconus, but the "fictional version" of him, then in what way is what we are learning really relevant? If none of the characters are really the "real"characters, doesn't that take away some of the weight and importance of this story?

Still really looking forward to reading this book though.

Well, you're already reading about a fictional Spinnock Durav in TtH because there is no *real* Spinnock Durav.

The only *real* characters are Fisher and Gallan - the stand-ins for SE and ICE ;)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#8 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostD, on 26 July 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

Well, you're already reading about a fictional Spinnock Durav in TtH because there is no *real* Spinnock Durav.

The only *real* characters are Fisher and Gallan - the stand-ins for SE and ICE ;)

That's a reductionist approach to this series and one I strongly disagree with.

It would be better to remind Asharak that we've already had multiple sections of the series "told" to us through different narrators within the series itself. Toll the Hounds is perhaps the one that's most obvious - as it's Kruppe telling us what happened.

There's also Onrack and Trull telling us most of Midnight Tides, the short epigrams telling us all kinds of things and so on.

My concerns with Forge of Darkness is kind of a minor one - that we won't get historical or "noteworthy line/event" epigrams. We'll get more poetry and although Erikson turns out the occasional doozy, he's not a great poet. I much preferred the mix present in the earlier books, than the poetry that dominated the later books (with Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God being 95% or more poetry epigrams).

It's not a giant thing, but that's what I'm concerned about - not the narration or the historical chronology of dragons/Andii or the genealogy of Dapple, Dusk and Dawn.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#9 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

View Postamphibian, on 26 July 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

My concerns with Forge of Darkness is kind of a minor one - that we won't get historical or "noteworthy line/event" epigrams. We'll get more poetry and although Erikson turns out the occasional doozy, he's not a great poet. I much preferred the mix present in the earlier books, than the poetry that dominated the later books (with Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God being 95% or more poetry epigrams).

Even though the narrator is is poet, there is a lot less poetry than in the last few books of the series. There characters occaisionally quote a poem, but the story iteslf is a pretty straight-forward narrative (though it has too many POVs in my opinion).

#10 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

View Postkcf, on 26 July 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 26 July 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

Even though the narrator is is poet, there is a lot less poetry than in the last few books of the series. There characters occaisionally quote a poem, but the story iteslf is a pretty straight-forward narrative (though it has too many POVs in my opinion).

That's quite interesting, actually - Erikson has said he is going for the more traditional structure with this trilogy, and all that comes with it. Even just from chapter 1 this certainly seems to be widely the case.

ie:
Spoiler

With that in mind, does the number of PoVs really match the traditional structure model SE was aiming for?

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#11 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

Well, even if not completely traditional, perhaps a bit more in that direction than MBotF?

#12 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

"Well, you're already reading about a fictional Spinnock Durav in TtH because there is no *real* Spinnock Durav.

The only *real* characters are Fisher and Gallan - the stand-ins for SE and ICE"

I do understand that this entire series is fiction, If you reread my original post you will see that I have pretty much continuously put " " around the words when I differentiate between the real made up characters in the book, and the characters that are made up within the context of stories in their own world. There is however a difference between reading about the Anomander Rake that is described by the individuals that meet him in real life (in the story that is), and someone writing about him (within the story) who perhaps doesn't want to even give his real impression of the man. When reading about the real Anomander (within the context of the story) we have the chance to learn something about the character. On the other hand when reading about fiction Anomander (Galan's version of him) who isn't necessarily written to be like the "real one ", then there is a huge difference in how much we should believe in this portrayal at all.

I'm still looking forward to the book, don't take me wrong, I'm just debating.

"It would be better to remind Asharak that we've already had multiple sections of the series "told" to us through different narrators within the series itself. Toll the Hounds is perhaps the one that's most obvious - as it's Kruppe telling us what happened.

There's also Onrack and Trull telling us most of Midnight Tides"

I disagree with Midnight Tides being "just" Trull telling the entire thing. Everything concerning the Leatheri characters is clearly not part of Trulls tale, Trull doesn't know Tehol and his plans etc.. And whatever parts are Trulls "story" are clearly meant to be his real experiences of the event, and not an invention.

While usually each chapter of TTH starts and ends with Krupe speaking, 97% of the book is not written in that way, and the book as a whole isn't presented any differently than all the other books in the series. I don't really buy that the book as a whole is just Krupe talking, there's to much non plot related dialogue and thoughts and such between people to be all part of his tale. Though I of course agree that Kruppe talking to K`rul is the framing device of the book.

This post has been edited by Asharak: 27 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

#13 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

View PostAsharak, on 27 July 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

"Well, you're already reading about a fictional Spinnock Durav in TtH because there is no *real* Spinnock Durav.

The only *real* characters are Fisher and Gallan - the stand-ins for SE and ICE"

I do understand that this entire series is fiction, If you reread my original post you will see that I have pretty much continuously put " " around the words when I differentiate between the real made up characters in the book, and the characters that are made up within the context of stories in their own world. There is however a difference between reading about the Anomander Rake that is described by the individuals that meet him in real life (in the story that is), and someone writing about him (within the story) who perhaps doesn't want to even give his real impression of the man. When reading about the real Anomander (within the context of the story) we have the chance to learn something about the character. On the other hand when reading about fiction Anomander (Galan's version of him) who isn't necessarily written to be like the "real one ", then there is a huge difference in how much we should believe in this portrayal at all.

Or.... or... just reading about Anomander's exploits through the eyes (figuratively) of Gallan. Rather than an omniscient/god-like/objective narrator, we will get Gallan relating events and we will see his perception of Anomander, based upon his experiences with Rake and with that era of Tiste society.

#14 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

View PostKanese S, on 27 July 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

View PostAsharak, on 27 July 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

Or.... or... just reading about Anomander's exploits through the eyes (figuratively) of Gallan. Rather than an omniscient/god-like/objective narrator, we will get Gallan relating events and we will see his perception of Anomander, based upon his experiences with Rake and with that era of Tiste society.

One of the most intriguing parts, IMO. We have reason to think Gallan might have an unfavourable opinion of Anomander, so the portrayal might interestingly contrast with Endest Silann's memories from TtH, which would be cool.

#15 User is offline   Shadow of Shadowthrone 

• Sergeant
  • What Bugg said.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

I like how Erikson makes sure that things are misremembered throughout the ages of his setting. I understand why he does this (aside from not having to keep detailed timelines :)) - this is how time works, how history works, being written, rewritten, changed, translated etc.

Even worse (?), I also support the lack of three certain characters. Not having them all over the book helps keep their legendary badassery intact, instead of diluting the power these characters exude in The Malazan Book of the Fallen. I mean, remember when Darth Vader was awesome? And then we got those prequels were he accidentally destroyed a ship, hung out with Jar Jar Binks, whined a lot and in general lost all credibility, badassery and acting abilities (yes he was better acted with the mask on in the originals).

This post has been edited by Shadow of Shadowthrone: 28 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

Visit my blog of geekery, Stormsongs: slynt.blogspot.com

#16 User is offline   Destiny 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:MBotF,
    Supernatural,
    Vampire Diaries

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

View PostShadow of Shadowthrone, on 28 July 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

Even worse (?), I also support the lack of three certain characters. Not having them all over the book helps keep their legendary badassery intact, instead of diluting the power these characters exude in The Malazan Book of the Fallen.

I totally agree with you. I've built these characters up so much in my mind, nothing could ever live up to it. Imagine if TTH had had a POV of Anomander. That would have totally ruined the mystery and badassery surrounding him. I remember when, in DoD iirc, Silchas says something like: "even when we were children he would always steal my toys." And I was like WTF!!! The image of child Anomander kind of reduced his epicness in a way, regardless of the fact that logic says he must have been young at some point.
Я изучаю русский язык, but I'm not very good yet.

#17 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

"Even worse (?), I also support the lack of three certain characters. Not having them all over the book helps keep their legendary badassery intact, instead of diluting the power these characters exude in The Malazan Book of the Fallen. I mean, remember when Darth Vader was awesome?"

You shouldnt compare a bad authour with a good authour. Erikson would make young Anakin the coolest character around.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users