View PostAptorian, on 29 June 2019 - 08:15 PM, said:

Over 9000.

What!? NINE THOUSAND!?!?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#63 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:25 AM

I had kind of hoped the release would have coincided with the PS5. My PS4 will struggle somewhat with this game I fear.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#64 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:57 AM

Gotta get that sweet double dip income.

#65 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:15 PM

Damn, starting a game and just setting up your character may very well barrage you with so many options that you could spend, like the first hour / hour and a half, just setting up your character it sounds like. Do you guys think the game's presentation may be so granular that getting mired in the minutia of it all may cause fatigue? What if you just want to jump right in and shoot stuff?

Cyberpunk 2077 has three different playable prologues depending on your starting choice

#66 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:14 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 02 July 2019 - 10:15 PM, said:

Damn, starting a game and just setting up your character may very well barrage you with so many options that you could spend, like the first hour / hour and a half, just setting up your character it sounds like. Do you guys think the game's presentation may be so granular that getting mired in the minutia of it all may cause fatigue? What if you just want to jump right in and shoot stuff?

Cyberpunk 2077 has three different playable prologues depending on your starting choice

If that's the case a cyberpunk themed RPG doesn't sound like the game to play.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#67 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:18 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 03 July 2019 - 06:14 AM, said:

If that's the case a cyberpunk themed RPG doesn't sound like the game to play.

I'd imagine that anyone who just wants to jump in and shoot stuff wouldn't bother taking the time to agonise over creating a character. And I suppose they may have ready-made archetypes for people who can't be arsed with it.

I have a friend (it's true!) who disliked Witcher 3 because she couldn't create her own character. But then Dragon Age Inquisition is her favourite game, so there's no accounting for taste Posted Image

#68 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:43 AM

Imagine being fatigued by minutia because you're that weak *sniffs, smooths skirts, sneers, it's also a pleated skirt of wool, dyed blue with the folds bearing a slightly navy hue*

#69 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:40 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 July 2019 - 07:43 AM, said:

Imagine being fatigued by minutia because you're that weak *sniffs, smooths skirts, sneers, it's also a pleated skirt of wool, dyed blue with the folds bearing a slightly navy hue*

So you'll be taking that job in the WoT TV show wardrobe dept after all?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 03 July 2019 - 08:40 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#70 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:56 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 03 July 2019 - 08:40 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 July 2019 - 07:43 AM, said:

So you'll be taking that job in the WoT TV show wardrobe dept after all?

Unfortunately not. I can only use Saidum.

#71 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:31 PM

I mean, I'm pretty used to watching the opening cinematic, then pressing "menu" (or whatever's the in-game equivalent) and spending the next hour or 3 studying skill trees, available glossary/lore and other background minutia to immerse myself in the game, so I don't see a problem.

But that's just me. After I already spent 15 minutes rebind ing my keyboard so that whatever buttons I need are all neatly spread out around the arrow keys instead of WASD

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 03 July 2019 - 09:33 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#72 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:03 PM

Usual keyboard keybinds for movement in games.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#73 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:08 PM

View PostMentalist, on 03 July 2019 - 09:31 PM, said:

I mean, I'm pretty used to watching the opening cinematic, then pressing "menu" (or whatever's the in-game equivalent) and spending the next hour or 3 studying skill trees, available glossary/lore and other background minutia to immerse myself in the game, so I don't see a problem.

But that's just me. After I already spent 15 minutes rebind ing my keyboard so that whatever buttons I need are all neatly spread out around the arrow keys instead of WASD

Same here. First thing I do is adjust the options for controller to my comfort. I've pissed off friends when playing on their consoles by changing settings for their play throughs, as I usually crank up the left stick camera speed control, aiming speed and set aiming preference to manual (instead of aim assist). Most of my friends just go with the default, which is usually set for casual or less experienced players.

And I love the immersion a game like Cyberpunk 2077 seems like it is going to give us. Although as far as physical options for character appearance, I quickly look through those, but don't give a whole lot of thoughtful consideration before selecting my character's appearance. I do give skill trees and where attribute points can be spent a lot of consideration though. I've no problem with this in a game like Cyberpunk 2077 and actually am expecting it. This looks like its going to be a doozy though, which is right up my alley.Posted Image

#74 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:35 AM

For DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS, the entire first 20% or so of the game is completely different for six (I think) different class/race combinations. The only way to see everything the game has to offer is to replay the opening part of the game six times. And it's quite common for RPGs to have different quests and options which adapt to your choices. BALDUR'S GATE 2 has three different strongholds in three different locations, all with different questlines, but you can only access one of them per playthrough based on class.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#75 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:51 AM

Well, the first hour or so. Not 20% by a long shot. But your Origin does mean some interactions are different for you - if you're a Dwarf Noble, you have to wade into the power struggle between Dwarven politicians and the brother who banished you.

#76 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 30 August 2019 - 06:52 PM

new "deep dive", condensed version of the E3/Gamescom demos

Looks good, but I'm kinda feeling they condensed it too much; not getting much in the sense of scale of the place.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 30 August 2019 - 06:53 PM

#77 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:35 PM

So, some news has dropped about this game that has sort of given me pause and scaled back my enthusiasm.

First, they are going to convert all the cut scenes to FPP. Which seems worrisome to announce with the game due to be released next April. But also because one of the selling points they've emphasized is the complete freedom to create your character's 'identity', including the ability to create a character that is not constrained by notions of traditional sexual identity roles. First person cut scenes will prevent you from enjoying the identity you created for your character, right? Seems like the character set up will not be on display like it should, and the time spent on that will be somewhat wasted.

Second, they announced they will include a multiplayer experience, eventually. They emphasized that multiplayer is something they will incorporate long after launch and after year(s)? of DLC, etc. But, I dunno, I don't like to think of CDPR dipping their toes into multiplayer with this title.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still very excited for this and have read descriptions about how dense and alive the city is, but damn, I hope they aren't trying to 'check all boxes' and chasing trends at the expense of putting out an exemplary single player experience with jaw dropping expansions that follow.

#78 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:13 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 September 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

So, some news has dropped about this game that has sort of given me pause and scaled back my enthusiasm.

First, they are going to convert all the cut scenes to FPP. Which seems worrisome to announce with the game due to be released next April. But also because one of the selling points they've emphasized is the complete freedom to create your character's 'identity', including the ability to create a character that is not constrained by notions of traditional sexual identity roles. First person cut scenes will prevent you from enjoying the identity you created for your character, right? Seems like the character set up will not be on display like it should, and the time spent on that will be somewhat wasted.

Second, they announced they will include a multiplayer experience, eventually. They emphasized that multiplayer is something they will incorporate long after launch and after year(s)? of DLC, etc. But, I dunno, I don't like to think of CDPR dipping their toes into multiplayer with this title.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still very excited for this and have read descriptions about how dense and alive the city is, but damn, I hope they aren't trying to 'check all boxes' and chasing trends at the expense of putting out an exemplary single player experience with jaw dropping expansions that follow.

Meh, they got a big-ass government grant to do R&D on multi-player stuff. At some point they had to make a multi-player thing to show what they did with the money.

This won't happen for like a year after release though, so I really don't care about it. My expectations for Cyberpunk are pretty tempered at this point, I'm way more stoked for Bloodlines 2 (which I already pre-ordered, unlike Cyberpunk). CP 2077 can only pleasantly surprise me.

#79 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 September 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

That first point doesn't make a lot of sense to me because in first person you're seeing through that character's eyes. How does seeing everything through the perspective of a character you have created spoil the identity of that character when you are ostensibly that character there and then? I can't make heads nor tails of it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy looking at my turquoise haired, loli-voiced hunter in MonHun and I get the appeal of gazing upon your creation entirely, but the base point I can't quite puzzle out.

#80 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:44 AM

I think the point is that having a character creator with lots of options and details is kinda pointless if you can\t see the character you made. And see them interacting with the enviroment and npcs around them. Same goes with what gear you wear, why take the really cool but maybe not as good gear when you can't see how awesome you look anyway?
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users