Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

US (Tor) edition of OST

#1 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

I just got a copy of the US trade paperback edition of OST. I'm not impressed - it's a rather cheaply produced book. Thin paper, thin cover. I wonder if the HB version is any better (or if there even is a HB edition).

This post has been edited by kcf: 17 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Dunno about the US but the UK hb was all good.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 May 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

Dunno about the US but the UK hb was all good.

I also have the UK hardback which is nicely produced.

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

US TPBs traditionally have thinner covers and paper than their UK counterparts. All of ICE's and Erikson's books are this way. Stephen R. Donaldson once explained, when asked, that US paper is thinner because it's higher-quality; lower-quality paper by necessity must be thicker to keep the ink from bleeding through to the other side. As for the covers, I can't stand the stiff covers on Bantam's TPBs or MMPBs; my copy of SW has tiny creases all over the cover just from opening the darn thing. In short, just because the US books are floppier doesn't mean they're cheaply-produced, or of lower quality; you just prefer a sturdier TPB.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 17 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#5 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 17 May 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

US TPBs traditionally have thinner covers and paper than their UK counterparts. All of ICE's and Erikson's books are this way. Stephen R. Donaldson once explained, when asked, that US paper is thinner because it's higher-quality; lower-quality paper by necessity must be thicker to keep the ink from bleeding through to the other side. As for the covers, I can't stand the stiff covers on Bantam's TPBs or MMPBs; my copy of SW has tiny creases all over the cover just from opening the darn thing. In short, just because the US books are floppier doesn't mean they're cheaply-produced, or of lower quality; you just prefer a sturdier TPB.

hmm...interesting. I have quite a few US tradebacks (since I live in the US). This one just seems flimsier than the most by a good margin. But I suppose it's true to say that I just prefer the sturdier stock.

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

How does it react to fire? Ice? Squid ink?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users