Malazan Empire: Karsa's Eloquence- An economy of words to rival Nietsche - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Karsa's Eloquence- An economy of words to rival Nietsche

#1 User is offline   Mappo's Hide 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Why is Karsa so underrated in the humour category- In my opiniom he trumps Tehol+Bug, Corabb (with Oponn's luck), Iskaral and Mogara, who both talk too much, and any of the T'lan, - everything Karsa says is a maxim that cuts deep, He's the dryest of humorists...He belongs at the top of the pantheon...

#2 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

For some reason a lot of readers didn't care for his rapey past, and they're gonna hold it against him! Can you believe it?!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Gorro 

• Recruit

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

I am badass. WHAT!!?? You are badasserer than me! I kill you! But I won't rape you cause I don't do that any more. Besides I'm out of blood oil.
SAMAR! You failed bitch to sneak my giant badass into town - Don't you dare use my ginormous stone sword and giant doggy heads I'm dragging as an excuse!

Karsa is hilarious

#4 User is offline   Mappo's Hide 

• Recruit

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

Witness...

#5 User is offline   powerclaw 

• Moral Ambiguity
  • Interests:Reading, Warhammer/Warmahordes, Painting (the miniatures above), Poetry (at times), Chemical Engineering (When I have to), Gymnastics (one arched eyebrow)
  • Wth is Jabber?

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

I never found him very funny, but he is eloquent and thoughtful. I think it even actually says somewhere that he personifies the "wise barbarian" or something like that. Everyone assumes him crude and blind to the complexities of modern societies. In fact, he sees and understands it in all its flawed frailty.

I like his dialog. Also, his rapey past is the culture he grew up in. For a character who's stubbornness defeats magic he was able to adapt and change pretty well once the outside world kicked him around a bit.

Now that I think of it though, that one scene in the town is pretty brutal...
"Never let your morals stand in the way of doing what is right."
-Isaac Asimov

#6 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

Karsa NOT funny?

JE NE SAIS PAS!

Karsa is f'n hilarious. And what's so great, is that he's def NOT trying to be.

Just his general bad-ass persona is often hilarious in how he just finds all competition a joke.

"I'd split you in two." - Karsa

Also, I can't really put my finger on it. But if I try to imagine some of the other major characters, battling those two Derogoths, I really don't see the humor.
But when it's Karsa, almost deciding to kill them as an after-thought, then chopping their big ass heads off and tieing them to his horse and PULLING them behind him for God Knows why. And THEN riding right into the Bonehunter Camp, still pulling the heads behind him. It's hilarious. He's a f'n PIMP. To him it's like, the crime those two huge beasts commited was attempting to be powerful in his general area. What were they thinking?

"And when you gone. You stay gone. Or you be gone. You lost all your 7 Cities privileges." - Karsa
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#7 User is offline   Nocturnal 

• Rabid fangirl

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

I really didn't like Karsa in the previous books. But, damn, did this book change my opinion. I now consider him one of the most interesting characters. And I can't quite put him in any category. He's much too witty for a barbarian and has more morale than most of the other "righteous" characters, and to think I considered him a ruthless killer. Also him and Samar make a cute duo.
"Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat."

#8 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostMappo, on 15 April 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

Why is Karsa so underrated in the humour category- In my opiniom he trumps Tehol+Bug, Corabb (with Oponn's luck), Iskaral and Mogara, who both talk too much, and any of the T'lan, - everything Karsa says is a maxim that cuts deep, He's the dryest of humorists...He belongs at the top of the pantheon...

NietZsche. Though i will admit you're onto something, he's definitely high up on the life-affirming side. On the other hand Nietzsche wrote beautifully whereas Karsa isn't too imaginative.

As far as humour though tehol and bugg have him beat, karsa is a badass yes but that's it. After a while you sort of expect it, Tehol and Bugg? their banter always takes me by surprise.

This post has been edited by BalrogLord: 07 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users