Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The current opinion of gifs on the forum

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

A while back... was that on the old forum? ... a ban was put on animated gif pictures. This was because (it was suspected?) they were putting a strain on the forums bandwidth or so I believe. First the gif thread was killed and then we were asked not to post gifs from then on lest whole threads be nuked for the greater good.

Water flows under the bridge.

Now a year or two later gifs appear in a lot of avatars. They've begun popping up here and there in threads. They are posted quite frequently in the pic thread. I've posted a few recently but I've been holding back since I didn't know if the ban was still in effect.

Is it? Or do we have enough bandwidth that we don't care any longer? Or is it that since the pictures threads gets pruned every 6-12 months anyway it doesn't matter?

Because I would like to make a new gif thread just for animated gifs but I wont bother if it is a problem.

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

I try to host gifs on imgur then use the forum hosting for pics after the ten image link limit, personally. I'm sure 400 2mb gifs per page would be a bit excessive though.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Oh, I'd suggest hotlinking the gifs as well. That's what we were mainly doing back then as far as I recall, don't think we were uploading a lot of gifs, but they still needed to load on each page which I assume was what caused the drain on resources.

I remember in the old gif thread we/I tried to keep it at one gif per post, so that on each page of the thread there was never more than 10 to 20 gifs.

But again, I am not sure what kind of resources gifs take up. If nothing else we could implement the kind of rules they have for "mega-threads" on the bigger forums where you close a thread and open a new one when it reaches a certain size. Basically we could let a gif thread run for 10-15 pages. Close it a page 15. And create gif thread Vol. 2 and so on.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

So, does the staff have any comment on this at all or should I take your stoic silence as a go a head and just make a gif thread?

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Negative.
There is a resource issue. Something about flogging the pixel-daemons.
No GIF thread.

- Abyss, Word of ModGod.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Poo.

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

What if they're not animated gifs, and I just have a prejudice against jpegs?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

Sorry Apt, but we honestly can't afford to start hosting up .gifs left right and centre. There is a reason we prune the pics thread, and that reasons is resource usage - the existence of a .gif thread, or indeed just a swelling in the number of posted gifs, kind of would make that effort moot. As it is, the site has been fairly stable, barring a few minor downtimes, but honestly, looking at the stats, I don't want to put any more strain on a system Hetan and Mal are already forking out a very generous amount for.

@Worry - while the .gif file format is not exactly ideally suited for uploading static images, the main problem with animated .gifs is that they are, if you will, several images in one. That's where the size of the files comes from and the ensuing strain on forum bandwidth/RAM comes from. I've nothing against a .gif here and there, especially unanimated ones, but if we can keep the proper .gif postings to a minimum, it would be for the good of the forum.

(And indeed, it has been raised that posting .gifs in the pics thread causes problems for people on slower connections who are viewing that thread, so while I'm not going to out-and-out ban .gifs from being posted, if we can limit their frequency, just to be considerate of other users - and yes, I'm aware that a separate .gif thread would solve THAT issue, but the ensuing problems it would cause for the forum as a whole are, quite simply, not worth it. Thanks for your understanding.)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

No worries, I was just inquiring to see if anything had changed.

#10 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

I'm using this space to, without much hope, request a new Hawt Girls thread!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#11 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Gothos - remind me again of why that was banned? >.>

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#12 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Family friendly forum and bandwidth issues, iirc. At least as stated reasons.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#13 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

http://forums.someth...php?forumid=167

With particular reference to the PYF Boobs and PYF Ass threads. Cause, seriously, the whole internet is covered in pictures of ladies and you really shouldn't be noticing a deficit.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#14 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 13 April 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

http://forums.someth...php?forumid=167

With particular reference to the PYF Boobs and PYF Ass threads. Cause, seriously, the whole internet is covered in pictures of ladies and you really shouldn't be noticing a deficit.

the whole internet is also covered in people, posts and funny pictures of cats; remove those too, you really shouldn't be noticing a deficit.

PS. new bookmark.

#15 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Eh, I'm going to go with the continuation of the policy. I'm pretty sure it's something Hetan decided to remove from the site, and I recall that it was for decent reasons. Illy also makes a good point (for once). :p

Shinrei said:

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

in other words...

Posted Image
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1