• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My bet with HD just for the record

#21 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

interesting thoughts above and some well thought out arguments, however I personally just don't see it happening this way..... I'd be seriously annoyed if it did and it would be a major cop out when there are so many other options that could be explored... after all everything is supposedly = to prophecy to an extent, but prophecy is just a guideline based on what could happen if the same path is followed from now to teh end.... I see something happening that throws the entire pattern out and allows for a freeing of the people from teh wheel of time ..... In other words the start of a new age that is not tied to any previous ages or influenced by forgooten times past by people being born again and again....

#22 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

RJ debunked that theory by saying that there's nothing special about this Age, and that the Wheel is endless. Also, what is it precisely about my theory that you think is a cop-out?

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I知 not talking about Donald Trump. I知 talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#23 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

to me it just seems the easy way out, the telegraphed way out so to speak.... one thats been seen before.... oh well so myuch for the hope that something different might actually come into play.... cause as I see it no wheel lasts forever.... somewhere along the line they always break ;o)

I am not saying that it wont be good etc, but it just seems like the scope was there to break it.....

#24 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

cause as I see it no wheel lasts forever.... somewhere along the line they always break ;o)

Hello Elan. ;)
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#25 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, a lot of people felt the same. And technically, since that's a second-hand signing report from a fan rather than a professional job, it's not iron-clad. It's funny - I've seen sometimes as many as four versions of the same signing, and the differences are sometimes rather crucial. I've seen paraphrased reports from events where a transcript was done, and that's downright scary sometimes. However, this girl seems to have been somewhat known in the fandom at the time, and trusted.

For example (on the different versions), someone asked RJ why he put the women in charge in a pale white shaft. They seemed to be implying that the sexual symbolism was backwards. RJ shot off a really clever response hinting at the map of Tar Valon - only hinting because he'd realized that they hadn't figured out the map yet. Only one of the reporters caught the gist of that response. I'll put his first, and then the others.

Jarrod said:

http://www.theorylan...ain.php?i=234#5

Question
Eventually Mr. Jordan turned to his quest of finding females that wanted some questions answered and got a good one when a lady asked why the most powerful women in the world get their power in a pale, white shaft (the White Tower).

Robert Jordan

The answer was, "If you can't grasp the symbolism, my dear... Because I thought about having them have their center of power be a hole in the ground and I thought it wasn't really going to be as significant. It wasn't going to stand out and have people say 'Wow, Gee...look at that on the horizon'. You sorta have to walk to the edge and say, 'Welp, don't wanna fall off into that, now do you?'"

WIN

Kevin Dean said:

http://www.theorylan...in.php?i=235#13

Question
The first girl to ask a question asked, "Why is it that the most powerful women in the world perceive their power as stemming from a 'pale, white shaft'?"

Robert Jordan

RJ chuckled, and then said if you "missed the symbolism there, you just don't get it." He also said that if their power came from a "hole in the ground" it just wouldn't be as much fun, and they would only be feared if you thought you might "fall in", which would not be much fun, he assured us.

Fail.

Fomu said:

http://www.theorylan...ain.php?i=233#5

Question
A few feet behind me was a woman with a very different question, "Can you tell me why the place of most of the female power in the realm resides in a 'big, white tower'? (Paraphrased because I can't remember her exact quote, but obviously making a phallic reference.)

Robert Jordan

Laughter reigned for a time, but RJ, as always, was waiting for her. He proceeded to tell how he needed a literary device to show the strength of the women who would inhabit the tower; something that when seen from far off on the horizon would inspire awe. He thought about making the home of the Aes Sedai a large, black hole in the ground, but since that is something you would almost fall into as you walked up to it, it just did not have the same power as a tower. Then he rhetorically asked her if she had actually read any of his books and seen the women in them. She explained that yes, she had and she used the term she did, since she was quoting from the prologue of Knife of Dreams. He said he knew the quote, he did write it after all, but again, had she actually read the books to see what power the women in the books did wield? Much laughter ensued at the good-natured banter between him and the audience.

FAIL ...but win at the same time for relating how RJ made fun of this girl for not having noticed the map of Tar Valon. "Have you actually read my books?" I don't think he realized how few of his fans did.

There it is.

#26 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

Time to pay the piper!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#27 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

Acceptable? :D

There it is.

#28 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

I apologize to the forum for what I have wrought.

Lol.

#29 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Fortunately for the forum I don't get out much. :D

There it is.

#30 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

Now is a good time to change that :D
*Men's Frights Activist*

#31 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

My time is almost up. But I have managed to subject 3 separate forums to the yeard. (This one, the GRRM one, and Discussions.) Not much, but it will have to do. ^_^

There it is.

#32 User is offline   King Lear 

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

I have to say, every time I see it I go 'Ahhhh!' in fright. I feel like HD may have short-changed us all, including himself, with this bet...
*Men's Frights Activist*

#33 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

That idiot had to be reminded of the bet by Terez, despite having resurrected the thread in the first place, and snap-chose the Vulture the Yeard. Plus, it was a gimme. I couldn't punish Terez for putting herself out that far on an idea.

#34 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

By the way, KL, I am amused at your avatar. It's in a book I just reread (first read it a couple of years ago). Apparently it's from the collection of Richard von Krafft-Ebing.

There it is.

#35 User is offline   King Lear 

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostTerez, on 07 April 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

By the way, KL, I am amused at your avatar. It's in a book I just reread (first read it a couple of years ago). Apparently it's from the collection of Richard von Krafft-Ebing.

Ahahahahahaha! Awesome. That just makes everything even better ^_^
*Men's Frights Activist*

#36 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

I was wondering if you knew that or if you'd just randomly found it on the internet. ^_^

There it is.

#37 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

There, I wandered over into the movies/TV forum too. One more day. ^_^

There it is.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users