Malazan Empire: Anyone else get worn out? - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »

Anyone else get worn out? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

I read the first two books in ASoIaF right after each other and loved every moment of it but I'll be damned if I haven't read such a cynical series in my life. Don't get me wrong I love the books I have read, but I got kind of worn out by all of the terrible shit that was happening (some of it I think wasn't really needed like the child with Arya in CoK). I had to tag out and read something different because of the 'realism'. I personally don't find it all that realistic mostly because it's activily deconstruction tropes of fantasy thus in someway has to be aware of tropes so sometimes it comes off as just trying to deconstruct said tropes for the sake of deconstruction (IMO). Has anyone else get worn out while reading straight through(maybe on a re-read?)? If so what was your pick-me-up? Mines the Dragons Path

#2 User is offline   Starling 

• Not Docile

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

I didn't get get that, but then TBH I didn't read one after the other. And honestly I find the same with the Malazan books. In fact, I started reading them back to back and they gave me the strangest dreams ever :p

My go-to pick-me-ups are Pratchett. Every time. So easy, so funny and I know them all so well :p
... a nature generally described as happy-go-fuck-yourself.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

I read the first three one after the other in college, and couldn't get enough. I don't think it's cynical to suggest that the more "needless" killing the series depicts, the closer to realism it gets. Most of what GRRM has done is stopped pretending that history isn't, all told, a horror story, where the monsters were people. SE goes a lot more post-modern though, upending the tropes in a totally different way.

That doesn't answer your question about the pick-me-ups though. I dunno if I have those. Tom Spanbauer is my favorite non-fantasy author but he only has four novels, but they're all fantastic and life-affirming. The Princess Bride is my favorite comic novel and re-reading it is always a pleasure.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

I really apperticate what GRRM and I guess 'realism' wasn't the word I was looking for (since worst things have happen in real life) but why death and killing is handeled in generally which I don't neccessarily agree is dealt with the most realistic way. Mostly because we see all the bad and none of the good. I am not saying killing and death are good but sometimes good comes of it. We get Tywin and Gergor and Bolton and in return we get Bran and Jon who are mostly powerless. Haha what I am trying to say is I feel the book is challenging my moral compass and it wears me out.

#5 User is offline   Toc Anaster 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:38 AM

I think what part of what GRRM (and at times SE) is trying to say about the face of war is how far reaching it can become and how the price of lives drops quickly in times of need and strain. In medievil times from the non-fiction I've read, your chances of making it to be an old man weren't too good. In and around a war people get in the mindset of the beseiged and begin to think only of survival. If you have that slice of bread and I need to eat or die, you're dying. If you get in someone's way as they try to escape some horrible end they're just as likely to trip you up as to push you along. In short, the world is a horrible place and we all die alone. Now everyone smile and sweet dreams.
"Avoid Risks. Take no chances. Dream of nothing, want less."

#6 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

I read this series way back before becoming a Malazan convert and what attracted me was exactly what detracted you from it - the gritty realism and brutality. I did a re-read when a Dance of Dragons came out and was even more amazed by the book. So far, in terms of sheer emotional excitement caused, this series comes closest to Malazan. It is also a bit more vulgar and profane than Malazan filled with gratuitous bits of physical activity.

Overall, I must say that I was never worn out but shocked, horrified and amazed at each step with each storyline. It has characters you either love or love to hate - no in between.
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#7 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

I haven't read them back to back, more like read one and wait for the next. I could see how slogging through a couple of them could be emotionally draining, but the cliff hangers . . . must know what happens next!
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#8 User is offline   yuna_anomander25 

• sapper elite red coat
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen,
    Dresden Files,
    The Hunger Games
    Anime,

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:59 AM

i still have my copy of AGOT left untouched for almost a year now, but i have already read i think half of it in an e-book(pdf format), so atleast i still know who is who,

don't want to compare GRRM and SE, but as i have already read all SE's and 1 ICE book, i'm still willing myself to read it,

maybe you could fault my curiosity, as i was lurking in that forum site or whatever, can't remember where,
as i was browsing there, i read somewhere about that eldest son of ned stark, rob(sp?) and his direwolf and their fated end, i was shocked, and that is still BEYOND anything i have read, even by SE standard,
i don't know how sick you could get just by conjuring that image,
Spoiler

i can accept incest and other stuff, violence and gore stuff, but that 1 thing, 1 of the reasons i still haven't continued reading aSoIaF,
well, that's just me,
It's not who I am underneath.. but what i do that defines me - Batman, Batman Begins; 'Without our deaths, sir, there would be no crime. Thus, no punishment to match,' 'Mortal Sword - '
'We are done, my friend. Now, in this manner, we choose the meaning of our deaths' - Mortal Sword Brukhalian to Veteran Nilbanas, siege of Capustan
'Ippen shinde miru (want to try dying this once) ?' - Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)

#9 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

I read all six back to back. No problems at all and no pick-me-ups needed.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#10 User is offline   Lusipher 

• Talon Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • View gallery

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

I read the first book when I was in the Marines, but had a hard time finding the following books when they came out-crap bookstore on base and no car+crappy public transportation didn't help. When book four came out, my earlier problems had been solved, so I read all of them back to back and didn't have a problem. But when I do need a pick up, I usually put on some Frank Zappa.

#11 User is offline   LadyMTL 

• Epic bookworm

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

When I started reading ASOIAF only the first three were out and I did read them back to back. I admit that I was shocked at some of the storylines (I'll not mention them so as not to spoil anything) but in all honesty I actually liked how brutal it was. I'd gotten heartily sick of the seemingly endless stories where the hero gets saved in the nick of time; I've always hated Deus Ex Machina twists and to read a series where bad things happen to characters I liked and was rooting for was a "nice" change.

That said, though, when I did get worn out with it I'd usually turn to whatever wasn't a fantasy book...a biography, a historical novel, a horror story...whatever would strike my fancy at the time.
~ Denn die Toten reiten schnell. (Lenore)

#12 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

Oh dear. Don't touch Stover's Blade of Tyshalle.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#13 User is offline   yuna_anomander25 

• sapper elite red coat
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen,
    Dresden Files,
    The Hunger Games
    Anime,

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

View PostJade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 09 May 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

um, six, is there already a 6th book, is that DWD,
It's not who I am underneath.. but what i do that defines me - Batman, Batman Begins; 'Without our deaths, sir, there would be no crime. Thus, no punishment to match,' 'Mortal Sword - '
'We are done, my friend. Now, in this manner, we choose the meaning of our deaths' - Mortal Sword Brukhalian to Veteran Nilbanas, siege of Capustan
'Ippen shinde miru (want to try dying this once) ?' - Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)

#14 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostStudlock, on 08 March 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

I read the first two books in ASoIaF right after each other and loved every moment of it but I'll be damned if I haven't read such a cynical series in my life. Don't get me wrong I love the books I have read, but I got kind of worn out by all of the terrible shit that was happening (some of it I think wasn't really needed like the child with Arya in CoK). I had to tag out and read something different because of the 'realism'. I personally don't find it all that realistic mostly because it's activily deconstruction tropes of fantasy thus in someway has to be aware of tropes so sometimes it comes off as just trying to deconstruct said tropes for the sake of deconstruction (IMO). Has anyone else get worn out while reading straight through(maybe on a re-read?)? If so what was your pick-me-up? Mines the Dragons Path

You should read Bakker than, he has very little terrible shit happening.
Very uplifting stuff.

#15 User is offline   Spooner 

• Recruit

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

Oi! That's an evil thing to do Blackzoid:( I'd treat ASoIaF as the pick-me-up series after Bakker any day. He's probably worse than that un-nice person who wrote the Fencer trilogy (K. J. Parker... hiss... boo).

This post has been edited by Spooner: 13 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

#16 User is offline   Azathmaster 

• Rewinder of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • First Survivor in the Survivors' Guild

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

I have gotten worn out but more by the lack of action in the middle of the book than the cynicism, though that could be why there was so little action.
"To victory! It feels unfamiliar, but it tastes like chicken"

#17 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

View Postyuna_anomander25, on 09 May 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

View PostJade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast, on 09 May 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

um, six, is there already a 6th book, is that DWD,

Nope, DWD is the fifth. It's either a mistake or he meant one of the short stories.

#18 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

The UK editions split 3 and 5, so ADWD is both the 6th and 7th books there, if I'm not mistaken. I asked Wert about this a couple of weeks ago, because some interview Westeros linked had a dude (I forget who) talking about how he wanted to read the sixth book, which was on his shelf.

PS—I found Wert's tweet, and he said the splits were only in paperback.

This post has been edited by Terez: 29 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#19 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

Indeed, A Storm of Swords is split into Part 1 and Part 2.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#20 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

The first time I read them, I enjoyed them for the most part. I read them piece by piece because when I started, only the first 2 were out and we all know how quickly he produces them....

But I'm almost done with a re-read, and yes, I am worn out. The violence is bothering me more and the little opportunities he allows for characters to learn about each other which slip by without fruition seems unnecessarily cruel. I guess I look for fantasy as an escape from reality. I'm not begging for tidy storylines where good always triumphs, but I read enough news and hear about human suffering that I kind of want to read something that takes me away from that for a while.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users