• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diplomacy anyone? for the glory!

#21 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

View Posttwelve, on 07 March 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

My damn work internet blocks most sites I'm trying to get to to learn how to play Diplomacy? Is there a cribs sheet someone could put together for me that would explain how to play the game? How does resolving all the moves and attacks would be especially helpful.

Essentially, on the board, Diplomacy is about mathematics and occupation.
A map has a number of supply centres (usually represented as dots). Each supply centre grants you one unit. England starts for example with an Army in Liverpool, a Fleet in London and a Fleet in Edinburgh. Each zone is usually abbreviated to 3 letters (Edi = Edinburgh, MAO = Mid Atlantic Ocean, Sil = Silesia, StP is St. Petersburg, et cetera).

Each piece can do one move: Fleets can move over sea zones (armies can't) and into coastal provinces, but can't move inland. If you can build an uninterrupted chain of fleets from one coastal province to another, you can transfer an army over it (so for example, to get an army from Liverpool to Spain you'd need fleets in the Irish Sea and in the Mid Atlantic Ocean.

That is all very straightforward. Combat is resolved by 'pushing'. Essentially, every unit is as strong as the other, so for example, if Germany has an army in Holland, England has a fleet in the Channel and France an army in Picardy and all three move into Belgium, they all bounce (neither moves).

Since no-one has a majority and bounces need to be prevented (or calculated intentionally as a form of defense/ binding opponent units), negotiating with your opponents on how the map is divided and who gains which territory when and what threats are allowed around it is all part of the game. For example, a French Fleet in the English Channel threatens London, so England is unlikely to want that. Likewise, an English Fleet there directly threatens Brest, so France won't want that.

But a fleet there also offers a measure of control over Belgium, so both countries are likely to want to be able to station a fleet there: the Channel as a de-militarized unoccupied zone is thus defensively sound but perhaps hampering to development).

The main thing is to negotiate stable alliances that are profitable to all involved, then betraying your opponent for long term gains in a single unbroadcasted stroke. For example, France, Germany and England will have to decide on a few hot issues: the Channel, Belgium, Holland, the North Sea, Denmark. It is likely that two of them will strike a deal against the third, but if France and England for example work together with France focusing on the south and England on the north, Germany may call on France's other neighbour Italy, pressuring France on its unsupported land borders where England has no option to support. Likewise, if France then starts losing, England is likely to backstab France to gain a few of its centres before the Germans and Italians take them.

The way to move into it or dislodge opposing units, is by support. For example, Germany negotiates with England and supports the English fleet into Belgium while France tries to invade it again:

Army Holland supports Fleet English Channel into Belgium (A Hol S F EngCh --> Bel)
Fleet English channel invades Belgium (F EngCh --> Bel)
A Picardy attacks Belgium (A Pic --> Bel).

Resiolution is then as follows:
Army Holland supports Fleet English Channel into Belgium (A Hol S F EngCh --> Bel)
Fleet English channel invades Belgium (F EngCh --> Bel)
A Picardy attacks Belgium (A Pic --> Bel).

The English Fleet occupies Belgium, the French army stays in Picardy, the German army stays in Holland.

I can recommend reading more about the rules here (the heaven for all things diplomacy):
The Diplomatic Pouch

And here's an example game (with atrociously bad play by almost everyone involved). New builds happen in the sheet directly in autumn, which makes it a difficult watch, and pretty hard to follow):

http://webdiplomacy....hp?gameID=58803

This post has been edited by Tapper: 07 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#22 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

also, the official rule PDF:

http://www.wizards.c...s/diplomacy.pdf

#23 User is offline   Kazemeryx 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

So when are we planning to start?

#24 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Posted Image

#25 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

anyone know where I can find the realpolitik download?
The only one i can find is on source folurce and i do not understand these binary folders and such, I just want the intall button!

#26 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

http://sourceforge.n...lpolitik/files/

or look here for one of the gazillion options:

http://www.diplom.or...apsoftware.html

#27 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

when i click on the windows one on the real source forge link i get this page
http://sourceforge.n...ik%20%28Win%29/

I tihnk I'm being dense or something but what is this crap about binaries and all, i tried the zip file at top as well, where is the actual program?

meh, mgiht just go for jdip or someithng

#28 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

never mind, I will be using
JDip

to adjudicate, who holds the adjudicator password currently? please hook me up.

As soon I have the adj password I'll get the game running

#29 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

View PostMacros, on 07 March 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

JDip

I seem to recall that Brood was the one who use to run the adjudicator password...might be wrong though.

ST
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#30 User is offline   Aerthorn 

• Recruit

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

So how will we be doing this? Via email or posts in the thread? And also, will the nations be randomized or first come first serve?

#31 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostMacros, on 07 March 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

JDip

If you can't get it could you ask one of the Admins to reset the password for you?
I don't know what I'm doing but it sounds good.

#32 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostTapper, on 07 March 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Thanks for all the reference material. Though 2 of the three I couldn't look at. But I think I have finally figured out how battle is resolved. I didn't realize you could support a different teams units. I looked back at some of the first few moves on the old Dip 7 thread and I think I saw england support a germany unit against russia and then I saw a france unit support an english unit against germany all within the same phase. Very bizarre. That is if I was reading it right.

#33 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

View PostMacros, on 07 March 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

when i click on the windows one on the real source forge link i get this page
http://sourceforge.n...ik%20%28Win%29/

I tihnk I'm being dense or something but what is this crap about binaries and all, i tried the zip file at top as well, where is the actual program?

meh, mgiht just go for jdip or someithng

Use this link - http://sourceforge.n....2.exe/download . You'll download the file at once. Binaries means any 'installable' file (.exe). Just download and install. Alpha means 'unstable' - don't download that.

Sometimes, when zip files are available, you simply extract them and run the program without installing anything.

Hope this helps you and anyone else.
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#34 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostMacros, on 06 March 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

Well if you want Tap's you can mentor Twelve
OT, you just missed sign up, but if you want you can ask one of the palyers if they want you to tag on with them for experience/ two heads better than one situation

No problem.
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#35 User is offline   Thyrllan 

• Recruit
  • Group: Game alts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Looks like you guys are in a thread for Mafia players who arent playing Mafia

#36 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

View PostAerthorn, on 07 March 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

So how will we be doing this? Via email or posts in the thread? And also, will the nations be randomized or first come first serve?

The way we usually do it is to have all players PM their moves to the Adjudicator account. Whoever's running things resolves at whatever deadline is set (or before, if everyone's are in) and posts the latest updated map to the thread. The PM system makes communication pretty easy, which is nice :p.

ST
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#37 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

Morogth, can you sort me out with the adj account please?

#38 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

View Posttwelve, on 07 March 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

Thanks for all the reference material. Though 2 of the three I couldn't look at. But I think I have finally figured out how battle is resolved. I didn't realize you could support a different teams units. I looked back at some of the first few moves on the old Dip 7 thread and I think I saw england support a germany unit against russia and then I saw a france unit support an english unit against germany all within the same phase. Very bizarre. That is if I was reading it right.

You probably were :p

#39 User is offline   twelve 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

View PostTapper, on 07 March 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

View Posttwelve, on 07 March 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

You probably were :p

Well shit. If that is the case talk about giving with one hand while taking away with the other. Proved to everyone what a backstabbing player England was that game.

#40 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

ok, i've messaged Cougar and asked to have the adjudicator password reset, the second i get that password i'll launch a thread, allocate the countries and we can commences schemeing morgoths downfall.
I mean open embassies and engage in polite diploamtic discussion

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users