Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finished...and disappointed

#1 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Just finally finished OST... and meh... Im tired of it.

Sorry to say it, but it was boring as hell. Maybe even... dumb? Dunno... Just briefly.
Its the worst book from Malazan cycle. Worst. I literally forced myself to finish it, just to know what happens with world, but I wasnt really interested. And not even that poor convergence finish.
The book has sooo many storylines... and I really didnt care about any of them. Even Seguleh were dropped to cliche and boring monologues. I really didnt find Spindle, Tor, Aragan, Ebbin, Scorch n Leff and everybody else interesting enought to care. I really cared when Seguleh were introduced... not knowing how badly their story arc will be solved...

Oh Antsy. Why, oh my god why? To find mask, so Dassem can become First? Really? Jesus, even Sordiko, Bauch n Korbal made their cameo... Meh...

So, what happend? Tay is washed and god. Hmm... Dassem is First... Hmmm... Moranth developed munition Seguleh didnt expect... so their elite thousand got smashed... Hmmm... Malazans... heck, why are Malazans there? Most of their part is totally useless... Even scene where are burying dead Seguleh is weakened by poorly written battle scene. Tyrant is really poor excuse for big bad boss. Laughable. But that is not the problem. Problem is, that there is score of story arcs...and almost none is good. None provides some... conclusion. Barathol, Envy... jesus, those characters are popping and popping... and they did nothing. And even my favourites, Madrun and Lazan were useless...

I found about two really interesting scenes...and one of them is actually Leoman staying at Vitr beach.

I must sound almost cruelly to ICE and this book, but... Im just disappointed. Strongly. I hate boring books... And if I asked someone to tell me result of the book, it would be best.

Will I buy another ICEīs book? Yes... Will I finish it? Dunno...
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostUlrik, on 01 March 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

I found about two really interesting scenes...and one of them is actually Leoman staying at Vitr beach.

I really wanted Leoman to walk into the Vir after Kiska and Tay left. I thought it would have been the best possible ending for that character. Maybe write a scene where Kiska returns to see him and all she finds is his clothes in a bundle close to the shore.

#3 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostAptorius, on 03 March 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

View PostUlrik, on 01 March 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

I really wanted Leoman to walk into the Vir after Kiska and Tay left. I thought it would have been the best possible ending for that character. Maybe write a scene where Kiska returns to see him and all she finds is his clothes in a bundle close to the shore.

I don't think ICE is done with the Kiska/Leoman storyline (tho I have no idea where its going next) but that would have actually added a nice bit of classic Malazan-style tragedy to the book. The only scene that really tried for that was the Seguleh getting bombarded, but that didn't hit me at all.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#4 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Yup, that would be great finish for Leoman - and actually it would change my opinion of him... but no... Still, this is probably only part of the book improving some character.

Whole Seguleh assault was so poorly executed...:up: It wasnt epic at all... is was predictable and in emotions very, very distant for me.

btw - Morn was Draconus? OK, only missing characters from all MBoF is probably Grizzen Farl... Nope, its few days and Im still disappointed with the result. If someone would tell me: "its about Tyrantīs return, where youīll see Seguleh army, their society, Dassem and get explained Torrug Cabal and Torrud Segul meaning"...I would jump happily over room for days. Phew...Im happy, I knew only bout Tyrant, most laughable bad guy of MBoF.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users