Malazan Empire: Warren use on Korel continent - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Warren use on Korel continent

#1 User is offline   Whiskey Bass 

• Grand High Cook of High House Bass(e)
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • "Dont gain the world and lose your sole, wisdom is better than silver and gold"

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:40 AM

maybe i'm missing something; but i thought The Lady from SW denied all warren use, and foreign worship in the area ?

#2 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

blood follows is set in theft, which we've decided is almost completely free of the lady's influence. the malazans hung on there after the first invasion failed, and their gods hung around too.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#3 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:13 AM

I assumed it was just a BFism, but I like the Theft theory.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:10 AM

It probably is a BF'ism, considering how much earlier BF was written. And since it's a light-hearted novella, there's ample reason SE wouldn't be too concerned with how ICE wanted to spin the Korel sub-continent 10 years later.

But yeah, the Theft theory is that some combination of the Malazan invasions and the trade Theft gets with Quon Tali (they have a deal with the Stormriders that ships can go to and from Theft without being destroyed by the Stormriders if they perform a blood sacrifice {probably throwing the cabin boy overboard}. This blood toll is relaxed around the time of BF) and elsewhere allows it to have the religions of the rest of the world and the Lady can't shut them down. It's quite possible that priests of The Lady routinely try to set up shop in the Theftian city-states and convert the populace but are ignored.

Wasn't there a reference to B&KB allowed to travel through Korel unblocked by The Lady in SW?

And lastly, note that the combined worship of Soliel/Poliel as The Sisters is another bit of unique Theftian religious culture.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Whiskey Bass 

• Grand High Cook of High House Bass(e)
  • "Dont gain the world and lose your sole, wisdom is better than silver and gold"

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:41 AM

cheers for that, it makes sense to me ;)

there was referance to two sorcerors given the ladys grace and my first thought was B&KB, but i have read a post off someone who believed it could have been ST&C

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users