Malazan Empire: Ties back to the beginning - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ties back to the beginning Personas and....

#1 User is offline   Ben Delat 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

So I am glancing through GotM again(is this the 3rd or 5th time through? =)) and noticed that someone from OST is in the beginning of that book as well.....Aragan.....who was the Staff Seargant in Ito Kan who recruited a girl named Sorry into the army.

Anyone else notice any tie-backs to the beginning of our epic adventures?

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Aragan shows up in several Malazan novels. Keep an eye out for the name when you reread ;)
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

Yep, Aragan was originally supposed to cameo in every single Malazan novel. Each time we saw him he was supposed to have, somewhat accidentally, found himself higher up the command chain, but Erikson could find no way to cram him into House of Chains and, especially, Midnight Tides, so kind of gave up on it.

One of the things I like about ICE is that he resurrected this character. I've put in spoilers below where you can find him.

Spoiler

"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

K0rbas, on 28 February 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Yep, Aragan was originally supposed to cameo in every single Malazan novel. Each time we saw him he was supposed to have, somewhat accidentally, found himself higher up the command chain, but Erikson could find no way to cram him into House of Chains and, especially, Midnight Tides, so kind of gave up on it.

One of the things I like about ICE is that he resurrected this character. I've put in spoilers below where you can find him.

Spoiler

also:
Spoiler

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Ben Delat 

• Sergeant

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

yep yep, somehow I had noticed all those other cameos but didn't remember him in GOTM, guess cause it is the first 25 pages of the book and so much happens throughout.

I noticed the progression also from Staff sargent, to Fist, to Ambassador....For some reason I never made the connection that they were trying to put him in all of them in some shape or form.

Other small characters like this? I mean we expect the major ones to show up throughout the books but I think some of these minor roles are what pulls everything together, icing on the cake so to speak.

This post has been edited by Ben Delat: 28 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

#6 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

D, on 28 February 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

K0rbas, on 28 February 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Spoiler

also:
Spoiler

Of course you're right, how could I forget!

With regards to any other characters like this, Aragan is pretty unique in featuring in so many, but there is also the nameless captain from the beginning of GotM who guides Lorn to the cavalry slaughter at Itko Kan where she meets Paran - he pops up again in HoC after Tavore's cavalry is ambushed by Leoman.

And Nait/Jumpy may or may not have appeared at one point in OST.

#7 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:20 AM

There's also the more well-known young girl who Fiddler and co rescue from being raped and killed in G'danisban in DG and the guy whose face is bitten by Fiddler's horse in the same place - they both pop up in tBH when Paran goes to confront Poliel.

#8 User is offline   Ben Delat 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

hm, i never made the connection that the girl was the one and the same, Ill have to go back and reread that part but I dont remember them saying anything to connect her as being the same one Fiddler saved,

and something completely off my original topic, in a GotM reread Kruppe mentions looking for his Grandmothers name in the listing of those who attended the chaining, since I don't recal any mortals being present are we to assume his grandmother is ascendant? Would make a lot of sense as to his powers.

This post has been edited by Ben Delat: 05 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

There were mortals at the chaining, amongst others Dancer, Dassem's daughter and Fener's Mortal Sword (I think it was the MS could be one of the other two).

#10 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Ben Delat, on 05 March 2012 - 11:33 PM, said:

hm, i never made the connection that the girl was the one and the same, Ill have to go back and reread that part but I dont remember them saying anything to connect her as being the same one Fiddler saved,

and something completely off my original topic, in a GotM reread Kruppe mentions looking for his Grandmothers name in the listing of those who attended the chaining, since I don't recal any mortals being present are we to assume his grandmother is ascendant? Would make a lot of sense as to his powers.

What Apt said, but, more to the point, Kruppe was making a joke, exaggerating the number of names.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users