Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

wondering

#1 User is offline   fafner 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

was wondering about some things before starting the books from ICE how much are there things that are in his books that are complete in contradiction with the books of erikson.

like what i read in this forum about the Seguleh

a new number 2 while in book 3 was stated that no new number 2 can be made till the old one was death ( that was the whole reason that number 3 has to lead the army)

second the whole rake thing with the mask as far in book 3 rake was number 7 so how does he get the mask of number 1
did ICE made rake 1 or is it a big plothole

#2 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

Read them, see what you think. Who knows, maybe you will be the one to make some intuitive leap and enlighten all of us :smoke:
Victory is mine!

#3 User is offline   fafner 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

juh point is when there if there is to much contradiction by ICE i just keep waiting for the next erikson book than pick up a book what will only irritating me.

that is the whole reason for this question.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

There aren't many that are a big deal or unexplainable. ROTCG has the most re: the Old Guard, I guess, but they weren't that big a deal to me...and the other books are mostly safe from those types of things. Also, ICE is just as much canon as SE is, so there's no reason to look at SE as "right" and ICE as "wrong" whenever there's a disagreement.

Your level of annoyance depends on how anal retentive you are, I suppose, and how are we to know that? On the one hand you seem to be expecting to be annoyed pre-emptively, but on the other hand you don't seem to mind reading the forums and details of books you haven't even read yet. I'd suggest starting with Night of Knives and making up your own mind, since it's short enough not to be a slog either way.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

View Postfafner, on 26 February 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

was wondering about some things before starting the books from ICE how much are there things that are in his books that are complete in contradiction with the books of erikson.

like what i read in this forum about the Seguleh

a new number 2 while in book 3 was stated that no new number 2 can be made till the old one was death ( that was the whole reason that number 3 has to lead the army)

second the whole rake thing with the mask as far in book 3 rake was number 7 so how does he get the mask of number 1
did ICE made rake 1 or is it a big plothole

Well for starters I don't remember this at all.

I think in MoI K'rul tells someone (Lady Envy?) that he (yes, HE goddamnit!) was surprised that Mok was with the punitive army against the Pannion Domin. K'rul expected a couple hundred lower level initiates but muses that perhaps Mok's growing skill level made the First uncomfortable enough to send him away before he could be challenged.

Spoilers for OST:
Spoiler

So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

Spoiler

#7 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

View Postworrywort, on 26 February 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

Spoiler

I'm not arguing that. Just saying that the reason we are given in MoI for Mok leading the attack is different from what the OP said
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

Ah, gotcha.

#9 User is offline   fafner 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

point is not who is canon or not. it is who write the first about it in his book.
let say that ICE write some stuff in 1 of his books that is a detail/mention for the first time i expect that Erikson will use that as canon in his books and the same for ICE

It is the same as Erikson dismissing/altering whole plotpoint from early books so it makes a nicer story.

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hence the rest of my reply explaining that no big events get contradicted, a few Old Guard characterizations might be considered botched in RotCG, and overall only small details are genuinely in complete contradiction, so mileage may vary depending on your anal retentiveness level. That's basically the best answer you're gonna get unless you want an exhaustive checklist of spoilery information you can comb over, or until you read the books for yourself.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users