• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#13341 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 November 2022 - 05:54 AM

Congrats on winning PA for us, Azath. Whether your ballot actually made it in or not, your posts carried us most of the way!

I guess AZ, NV, and GA are gonna be the high blood pressure states again this year.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13342 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 November 2022 - 06:49 AM

Oh Nico, you are so painfully transparent.

https://factcheck.af...e-was-not-fraud
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#13343 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 November 2022 - 07:06 AM

Georgia Senatefeels like it'll be down to the wire. there's about 30 k votes difference RN.

Most of the uncalled House races are in the W. The Guardian's breakdown makes it look like Reps might be one short of winning the House.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#13344 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 November 2022 - 07:25 AM

I don't wanna get my hopes up on the House. Maybe the Senate though. Touch and go.

In GA, if neither candidate gets to 50%+1 then there's a whole new runoff election in December solely between the two candidates (no spoiler candidates or write-ins).

#13345 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 November 2022 - 07:42 AM

View Postworry, on 09 November 2022 - 07:25 AM, said:

I don't wanna get my hopes up on the House. Maybe the Senate though. Touch and go.

In GA, if neither candidate gets to 50%+1 then there's a whole new runoff election in December solely between the two candidates (no spoiler candidates or write-ins).

If Dems take both Arizona and Nevada, then they already have 51 (including Harris' vote), no? Then Warnock's seat is just more cushion.

#13346 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 November 2022 - 08:38 AM

For a lot of functional Senate things, like confirming federal judges, for sure. But Dems 'need' 52 in the Senate to actually advance legislation that is otherwise blocked by filibuster, because Manchin and Sinema are the two Ds who refuse to move on that. Not to get too into the weeds, but for the first time in a long time it does look like the Senate Ds will be willing to bypass the filibuster for a few vital things, if they have 52. This is of course all dependent on a few other things too, in particular the House being receptive, and the hope that more Senate Ds don't chicken out, which is always a risk.

#13347 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 November 2022 - 11:54 AM

I am truly

Truly, probably depressingly naively so, gobsmacked that the GOP got any kind of votes this year, Herschal walker has over 1 million people willing to vote for him?
Honestly what the fuck

#13348 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 November 2022 - 12:22 PM

If Walker wins....

I can see how some moderate Republicans can get votes from some people in the USA. However while the democrats party is by no means perfect with only two choices available I just don't get how Republicans are actually competitive.

They hold hypocritical stances, theireconomic policies are proven to fail and now we see that their candidate quality is abysmally.

Nothing will stop Trump declaring his candidacy but it's also now clear as glass that the part strategists made sure to keep him from announcing before the end of the midterms because he would drag them down. It's also clear that many races are lost because of his candidates. He will say Oz losing Pennsylvania is not his fault but it surely is. Will the party finally break from him now they see how much he has hurt them. Or will they double down.

#13349 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 November 2022 - 12:56 PM

Is there a decent website for tracking ongoing results?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#13350 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 November 2022 - 01:06 PM

Gerrymandering and voter suppression. Republican policy’s, or lack there of, are laughably unpopular.

Even outside the house and senate, a great night for Dems. Multiple democratic governors and attorney general’s won. Michigan flipped its state house for the first time in 38 years. Young people came out solid, especially In Pennsylvania. Fetterman!

A solid night, but we gotta get the voting rights act passed somehow, or it’ll only get worse.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#13351 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 November 2022 - 01:13 PM

View PostMacros, on 09 November 2022 - 11:54 AM, said:

I am truly

Truly, probably depressingly naively so, gobsmacked that the GOP got any kind of votes this year, Herschal walker has over 1 million people willing to vote for him?
Honestly what the fuck

Exactly my thoughts. Some of these people (Like Walker) are just fucking straight EVIL....he held a gun to his wife's head and abandoned his kids FFS!

How half the voting populace seems to vote SO HARD against their own damned interests is super crazy (see below).

View PostCause, on 09 November 2022 - 12:22 PM, said:

If Walker wins....

I can see how some moderate Republicans can get votes from some people in the USA. However while the democrats party is by no means perfect with only two choices available I just don't get how Republicans are actually competitive.

They hold hypocritical stances, theireconomic policies are proven to fail and now we see that their candidate quality is abysmally.

There are whole generations of people out there who have been told THEIR WHOLE LIVES that the Democrats are evil...like not just in a "the opposing team" way...but like supposedly cartoonishly evil doing unspeakable devilish things behind closed doors that would make people go white and steady themselves on the furniture....and those echo chambers seem to be hard to get out of.

They are told in no uncertain terms that IF the Democrats had more power, they will lay waste to the Unites States of America and doom it to an apocalyptic unpatriotic wasteland...

It's all nonsense, and a lot of it projection...but yeah...that's why.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 November 2022 - 01:19 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13352 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 November 2022 - 01:22 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 09 November 2022 - 12:56 PM, said:

Is there a decent website for tracking ongoing results?

The Guardian was giving really good breakdowns last night.

Edit: ugh, looks like Reps lead Nevada now. Bah

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 09 November 2022 - 01:33 PM

#13353 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 November 2022 - 01:42 PM

View PostMacros, on 09 November 2022 - 11:54 AM, said:

I am truly

Honestly what the fuck

I imagine you source your news from a variety of places. But the simple fact is that many people tend to obtain all their information from one or two sources, which in the US (and increasingly in the UK) are likely to be funded and dictated by right wing/conservative money. So they tend to present a right leaning (if not outright far right) viewpoint. If that is all that you get exposed to, it is very easy to align your thoughts and behaviours that way as well. Couple that with social media (controlled by the likes of Musk and Zuckerberg) and a general distrust of federal or overly regulated state involvement, and you're in a world of hurt. I always try and imagine my parents living in the US instead of in the Netherlands and being exposed to Fox News and such. It would not surprise me one bit if they would then turn to voting Republican as well. These are not evil people, they just absorb partial, incomplete information and/or do not sample a wider range of viewpoints. It is not something that has ever been properly taught in schools and such, how to avoid unconscious bias and remain open minded and accepting of conflicting viewpoints..
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#13354 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 09 November 2022 - 02:47 PM

OK, that aside.

What would make anyone vote for walker, when he has been exposed as such a hypocrite and shit even by fox news??

#13355 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 November 2022 - 04:01 PM

He's not a democrat. Not electing a democrat ensures that democratic projects don't see fruition.

#13356 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 November 2022 - 04:58 PM

View PostMacros, on 09 November 2022 - 02:47 PM, said:

OK, that aside.

What would make anyone vote for walker, when he has been exposed as such a hypocrite and shit even by fox news??

'In Georgia, meanwhile, the candidates could not be further apart in ideology, biography, or temperament, but the race is pitting two paradigms of masculinity against each other: the pastor and the star athlete. Sen. Raphael Warnock[...] has credibly cultivated an image as the good pastor—or in other words, of being a Good Man. This image has proved so valuable to Warnock that he has pulled his punches against his Republican opponent, the megastar University of Georgia and NFL running back Herschel Walker, even as the vociferously anti-abortion Walker has had stories of secret children and coerced abortions come to light. Walker, for his part, is leaning into quite a different sort of manhood by pretending that none of the secret children or abortions are real. Instead, he has spent the campaign asserting unapologetically that these women are all lying and trying to take him down. Walker's resilience in the polls is testing not just Warnock's strategy of restraint, but also what many of us learned in high school: If a guy is good enough at sports, he can remain beloved no matter what else he does.'

Midterms 2022: the elections are about masculinity and which candidate is a "real man."

- He's 'Christian' (just like Trump) so all his past sins are forgiven because he's embraced the love of Our Their Lord and Savior Donald Trump (in all of his supposed ('dissociative identity disorder') hearts...).

- Many Trump supporters are convinced that even Fox has been compromised, switching (partly at Trump's behest) to more extreme channels like Newsmax and One America News. So it's all 'fake news' to them. (Probably anything that Trump declares to be false---or for some of them perhaps it's their Trump-backing pastors etc....)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 09 November 2022 - 04:59 PM

#13357 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 November 2022 - 05:07 PM

'Extremists Respond to Trump’s Voter Fraud Conspiracies: "Fuck It, Arm Up"

“Georgians better be ready to lock and load. If it gets violent, shoot first,”

Even before polls closed on Election Day, [...] Trump started posting conspiracies about election fraud. Within minutes, his supporters used those posts to start issuing violent threats against election officials and lawmakers. [...]

[...] In many of the cases, the threats of violence came in direct response to Trump’s own posts [...]

[...] Truth Social post claiming [Trump] had given his supporters their “marching orders.”

[...] “Military tribunals with death penalty sentences for treasonous voter fraud. Swift justice,” [...]

[...] “Death penalty for all voter fraud.” [...] “I heart ‘shoot shoot shoot’ anyone else?”

[...] “get out there” [...]

[...] “Fuck it, arm up. ” Someone else instantly responded: “Ok.”

[...] “Who would have guessed? Call for an armed march on DC.”

[...] “Nothing short of an AR-15 is going to stop what's happening in Detroit,”

[...] incited by wildly conspiratorial allegations being spread by pillow salesman and election-denier extraordinaire Mike Lindell.

In response to Lindell claiming that “another race being [was] stolen in the middle of the night” [...]

“When the people who hold the power to change and fix the vote are the very people cheating, they will NEVER fix it. The only solution in that instance is to just shoot them in the head. Sad to say. All power comes from the threat of violence.”

Another user responding to Lindell’s post wrote: “Fuck a civil war, kill just the politicians and beaurocrats”'

Extremists Respond to Trump’s Voter Fraud Conspiracies: ‘Fuck It, Arm Up’

Polling this election cycle was unusual in part because of the addition of new partisan Republican pollsters, using non-public and otherwise questionable methodologies to predict a titanic 'red wave'... doesn't seem much of a stretch to speculate that their true purpose may have been to make claims of voter fraud seem more 'reasonable' (or easier to rationalize)---though obviously for many (most likely most) Trump supporters that doesn't matter....

'[...] partisan polling. A flood of new firms this cycle has raised questions about how handicappers should treat these polls that are conducted by partisan operatives—and what these polls (most of them GOP-affiliated) are doing to polling averages.'

Pollsters Have ‘No F*cking Idea What’s Going to Happen’ During 2022 Midterm Elections

#13358 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 09 November 2022 - 05:10 PM

OK, that aside.

Back when Roy Moore was running for office and it came out that he, as a man in his thirties had been trying to hit up sexual relations with young women in their early teens (I don't know if he actually succeeded), the republican voters insisted that even if it was true, which they did not believe, they would still vote for him because they did not want to lose a senate seat.

So it is not really surprising that they would vote for Walker, hypocrite or not, in order to keep the seat in republican hands.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#13359 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 November 2022 - 05:47 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 09 November 2022 - 05:10 PM, said:

OK, that aside.

Back when Roy Moore was running for office and it came out that he, as a man in his thirties had been trying to hit up sexual relations with young women in their early teens (I don't know if he actually succeeded), the republican voters insisted that even if it was true, which they did not believe, they would still vote for him because they did not want to lose a senate seat.

So it is not really surprising that they would vote for Walker, hypocrite or not, in order to keep the seat in republican hands.

It appears to me that in the US, when democrat voters dislike the dem candidate, they don't vote, while the republican candidate could appear on CNN, Fox, and MSNBC simultaneously, wearing nothing but a tutu and the blood of decapitated kittens and meth candy chains, preaching the values of arranged child marriage, and they would still get out and vote for the guy because fuck those woke liberal fascist dem feminists anyways.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13360 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 November 2022 - 06:25 PM

So from what the BBC are telling me it seems that while the turds are likely to regain the house it hasn't been as bad (so far) as feared?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic