Malazan Empire: Fisher from Assail? (contains SPOILERS from TCG) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fisher from Assail? (contains SPOILERS from TCG) Are Fisher and the barbarians that Antsy meet from Assail?

#1 User is offline   Drusas Achamian 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

Fisher seems to know the friendly large barbarians that Antsy encounters during his trip. They all (including Fisher) seems to be large and Germanic-looking (beards, armours, helmets, the mountain-like heraldry), similar to tribesmen Kyle meets in TROTCG, like Badlands, who are from Assail. The fact that Fisher is a bard fits perfectly in the image as the Assail als a large humanoid, Teutonic/Viking-looking heroic warrior-society, who are, under a strong Tyrant, able to repel the T'lann Imass.

The length en strength of the humans from Assail, like Fisher, the barbarians, Badlands, etc. could be explained by a possible mixed Human/Forkrul Assail-origins. The continent Assail is likely the continent where the Forkrul originated from. Consider these spoilers from TCG:

!!!!!! SPOILERS !!!!!!!!

In 'The Crippled God' it is mentioned by the Queen of Bolkando that the Forkrul Assail that invaded Kolanse originated from Wrecker's Ghost, a part of the Assail-continent.

Considering the name of the continent - Assail - and the fact that the Forkrul Assail that conquered Kolanse came from there, I believe that Assail is the original homecontinent of the Forkrul Assail. But actually, the Forkrul Assail al almost extinct. In Kolanse, there are a lot of mix-breed humans/Assail.

Perhaps the human population of Assail are descendents of a mix breed of humans and the original Forkrul Assail from this continent? That could explain the succes of the Assail (Human) Tyrant and his armies against the T'lann Imass.

!!!!!!!!!!!! SPOILERS !!!!!!!!!!!

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

Fisher doesn't have to be from Assail. It is how ever likely that he has lived there at some point during his existence. Fisher is immortal, highly likely an ascendant, if not in fact some kind of humble god.

#3 User is offline   The Pack 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Basketball
    Ultimate (frisbee)
    Being utterly oblivious to subtle writing techniques

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

I'd say he was a god, characters throughout the series seem to be fairly familiar with his name and all know he's a bard, and following the idea that gods take on the shape of "worshippers" expectations he is a moody hipster who likes to observe things. That still doesn't excuse the shameless teasing about who he is/ what his relation to the brothers is :Oops: For some reason i never imagined him as being a big barbarian type person, more a tall and thin if anything.
I'm going to be reading these books for the rest of my life trying to catch every little secret and plot detail...and i'm ok with that :D

#4 User is offline   Midnight 

• Captain

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

The barbarians could also be from Jacuruku and were put there as setup for the next book. I know Jacuruku has been described as at least partly tropical which doesn't fit with the VIking image but jaghut ice rituals make fools of us all :p

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users