Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ending question concerning the Malazans

#1 User is offline   Errant 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

This might have been obvious and I just missed it, or it might just be something I find out in the next book or two, but:

What exactly is going on with the Malazans (the 14th) at the end of RG? They successfully take the city of Letheras, but then do they just let Tehol be the emperor and that's that? I guess we aren't supposed to know Laseen's motives at this point, especially since even her army doesn't, but did they really go through that whole invasion just to let someone else take the throne?

#2 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

read dust of dreams and the crippled god

thats all for now
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

Tavore's motives. And you'll find out the motivations and ramifications of their victory in Dust of Dreams.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

Maybe you just missed or misunderstood the end of The Bonehunters, where the 14th departs and essentially secedes from the Malazan Empire. Laseen isn't a factor, nor is empire-building, in what the 14th do in Letheras.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Errant 

• Recruit

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

worrywort, on 01 February 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

Maybe you just missed or misunderstood the end of The Bonehunters, where the 14th departs and essentially secedes from the Malazan Empire. Laseen isn't a factor, nor is empire-building, in what the 14th do in Letheras.

Opps! I meant Tavore, not Laseen. I do understand that she's no longer receiving her orders from Laseen and the empire. I was just confused about the 14th succeeding in a massive invasion, only to let a dude they don't know take the throne. And, as I expected, it's a RAFO. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something obvious (besides my typo).

Thanks for the replies!

#6 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:41 AM

AFAIRecall they were trying to get to the palace to take out Rhulad. They knew the Letheri emperor was a magic Tiste Edur and also knew that most of the common people were oppressed, so they didn't see any need to kill anyone other than the Letheri military in their way.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users