Malazan Empire: I liked OST.... but - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I liked OST.... but

#41 User is offline   Whiskey Bass 

• Grand High Cook of High House Bass(e)
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • "Dont gain the world and lose your sole, wisdom is better than silver and gold"

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

View PostAptorius, on 25 February 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

only Erikson has called him a Mortal. But then maybe Esslemont has rewritten Kruppe's background.

SE also stated there were no hounds of Light or Dark, and a few others i cant be arsed to think of

:smoke:

#42 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

Well, if you want to think him devious, then technically, at the time he said it, there were no Hounds of Light. Maybe they literally did not exist until events close to TTH. We might hear in a later book about some Liosan ascendant raising the Hounds of Light out of the Fire of Thyrrlan or something like that.

#43 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostAptorius, on 25 February 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

Well, if you want to think him devious, then technically, at the time he said it, there were no Hounds of Light. Maybe they literally did not exist until events close to TTH. We might hear in a later book about some Liosan ascendant raising the Hounds of Light out of the Fire of Thyrrlan or something like that.

I think there is some mention about one of their snouts being covered in scars from centuries of fighting and battles. But I understand your point.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#44 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

View PostAptorius, on 25 February 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

Can't be. If Tissera had been a member she would have been forced to either do something crazy or she would have been enslaved like Baruk. There have been shown no indications what so ever that Tissera is anything but a very patient wife.

As for Kruppe, Baruk doesn't know who or what he is but he certainly isn't a member of the cabal. Either he is fulfilling a role for when the Tyrant rises or he is in fact some kind of immortal eel... only Erikson has called him a Mortal. But then maybe Esslemont has rewritten Kruppe's background.

Yes Kruppe is no longer mortal and seems to be the antithesis to the Tyrant. Its possible he resisted the Tyrants call. I think Tiserra also resisted the Tyrants call.

The reason is because I choose to believe that and ICE hasnt proved me wrong :smoke:

#45 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

We saw in the book that none of the mages could resist the Tyrant. Baruk attempted some kind of transformation but was foiled and taken. Vorcan had to put herself inside a protective circle and chain herself down two resist. Derudan had to take some kind of mind altering drug that drove her bonkers.

Nobody was stronger than the Tyrant in that regard. Tissera has never been shown to have any significance. Maybe with the exception that she seems to have contact with the night watchmen that tend the cities lights.

And again, nobody among the Cabal know Kruppe as a member of the circle. If he indeed isn't mortal, he is a force outside the circle.

By the way, It really is odd that Circle breaker and the role that he was supposed to fill didn't get more attention in this book.

#46 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

I still think im right for no reason at all :smoke:

Also yes the Circle Breaker thing doesnt make sense. He was a guard on Kruppes payroll who watched outside Despots Barbiricum and was a prime agent. However Kruppe also bizarely says in his final letter to Circle Breaker in GOTM 'the circle is mended' go in peace or something like that. Strange as you say

This post has been edited by tiam: 25 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

#47 User is offline   Whiskey Bass 

• Grand High Cook of High House Bass(e)
  • "Dont gain the world and lose your sole, wisdom is better than silver and gold"

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

View Posttiam, on 25 February 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

The reason is because I choose to believe that and ICE hasnt proved me wrong :)

i use exactly the same reasoning lol, as far as im concerned if the author leaves ambiguity and doubt then i am perfectly entitled fill in the gaps of knowledge with my own well thought out, logicly flawless theorys :smoke:

#48 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

The guard whom Jan executes, their is some speculation that he might have been circle-breaker. Of course as Taim mentions he was supposed to have been retired

#49 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

Yeh most likely that retired warden who sees the shadow of the Orb earlier in the book. Though given ICEs fondness for cameos and hi sheer unending level of cryptic clues he could be Grizzin Farl.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users