Malazan Empire: OST - Some Discussion Points - SPOILERS! - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OST - Some Discussion Points - SPOILERS! spoilers! spoilers! spoilers!

#21 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hmm, I still think it's far more likely to be K'rul, to be honest.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#22 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

its something in the way that its written that makes me think that it is a an extra person/item/god taken on as opposed to coming to terms with his split personality. After all many characters in this series suffer from multiple personality disorders of some description.........

#23 User is offline   Moss 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

So has Tays ascended to godhood? I think Kruppe babbled about him beeing a force of nature now.

#24 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

Pretty obvious that T'ren merged with K'rul and became the newest apostrophe-god, probably personifying the warrens. You have to wonder what the background of D'rek, T'ress, K'rul and so on might have been. Were they also mortal once (Queen of Dreams we know was a sorceress supplanting Ardata).

#25 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostPig Iron, on 26 January 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

Pretty obvious that T'ren merged with K'rul and became the newest apostrophe-god, probably personifying the warrens. You have to wonder what the background of D'rek, T'ress, K'rul and so on might have been. Were they also mortal once (Queen of Dreams we know was a sorceress supplanting Ardata).

I could live with something happening off stage to alter K'ruls appearance. It would be a typical 3 book later Malaz revelation.

#26 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

View PostPowder, on 26 January 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

I could live with something happening off stage to alter K'ruls appearance. It would be a typical 3 book later Malaz revelation.

How though? Not the Krul thing though that would take some explaining some sort of Uber powerful Krul maker under D'stan. No I mean ICE cant do 3 book later Malaz revelation that was typical of SE. He is writing standalone novels with some threads throughout. If the Jacuruku novel gets done or if he jumps straight to Assail it still leaves us with what happened on Korel when the Wall came down and this finished with 'what happened to the Tyrant/Why was he all the Tyrants/what was his link to Raest, Why/how did the Miner get out' etc. These are just examples off the top of my head but ICE doesnt seem to realise that we wont be visiting these continents again like with SE. SE had 10 books for three continents. ICE as 5 for 5 only one of which (OST) had any really plot development on it beforehand.

#27 User is offline   Orfantal 

• First Sword

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:13 PM

Not sure why people have such a downer on ICE and this book in particular. He's not SE, and he's not going to be but then I don't expect him to be. Enjoyed OST, in fact have ploughed through it and have already stated a re-read. Have enjoyed all of ICE's novels, they have faults sure, but then most do, and he hasn't the scope, the scale or the emotional depth that SE gives so well but he has a deft touch, particularly with humour, and portrays some great characters. Butcher was interesting and a counter point in some ways to Jumpy, one of my previous favourites. Yes there are areas I'd love to know more about, but then I could say that about every Mlazan book and will probably still feel that way however many are written, it's a huge and complex world after all, and that's part of why we love it!

This post has been edited by Old Orfantal: 26 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

#28 User is online   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 26 January 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Hmm, I still think it's far more likely to be K'rul, to be honest.

Yeah, having reread the scene, you're right.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#29 User is offline   Orfantal 

• First Sword

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

Wasn't it once stated that the apostrophe in T'lan denotes broken or something similar, presumably linked to Tellan. Wonder if there is a similar meaning in these names, or perhaps it denotes change in some way, Both T'ren and T'riss are ascended humans, and the T'ren name seems to eb a shortened version of the original. Did K'rul's name change when he created the warrens?

#30 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

I think it was the T' but that in no way nullifies your point.

Still as Tay is not an Imass I would regard it just as coincidence for now.

#31 User is offline   Moss 

• Recruit

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

If that's true, does merging Tays and K'rul make him an hermaphrodite? Or does he have a female point of view now? *irony*

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users