Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Durhang v. D'bayang Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Archeokat 

• Archeokat
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

Ok only about fifty pages into this book, but this question cropped up again and I can't find a suitable answer on the Malazan Wiki. Are Durhang and D'bayang the same thing? Because D'bayang to this point appears to be exclusivley Lether so I assumed that it was the First Empire name for Durhang. Can anyone confirm?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

Is D'bayang the stuff that the Letherii high mage is smoking in DOD/TCG? Because I assumed that was a form of tobacco while Durhang is some kind of poppy drug a la opium.

EDIT: Of course then there is rust leaf which I think is like Marijuana only stronger?

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 13 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

#3 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostD, on 13 January 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

Ok only about fifty pages into this book, but this question cropped up again and I can't find a suitable answer on the Malazan Wiki. Are Durhang and D'bayang the same thing? Because D'bayang to this point appears to be exclusivley Lether so I assumed that it was the First Empire name for Durhang. Can anyone confirm?
I'm fairly sure there's a reference to d'bayang in TtH as being used in Darujhistan, but then I might just be misremembering.

[quote name=Aptorius]Is D'bayang the stuff that the Letherii high mage is smoking in DOD/TCG? Because I assumed that was a form of tobacco while Durhang is some kind of poppy drug a la opium.

EDIT: Of course then there is rust leaf which I think is like Marijuana only stronger?[quote name=Aptorius]

I always thought of rust leaf simply as tobacco. I'm sure it's rust leaf that Aranict's on. Durhang came across to me as the Malaz cannabis, D'bayang as the opiate. As I said though, my memory's not to be relied on.

This post has been edited by D'iversify: 17 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

I am the Onyx Wizards

#4 User is offline   Drae 

• Recruit

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

I interpret Durhang & D'bayang as opiate style drugs, with one being a crack type, and one being a heroin type high. Rust-leaf is a cannabis type high as best as I can tell. I've based this interpretation on the described effects and the state of mind of the users when presented a first person PoV.

#5 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

But crack is a form of cocaine, not an opiate.

I thought both Durhang and D'bayang were opiates, though. Rust Leaf I thought was either tobacco or something between tobacco and cannabis.

Good question, though, ha ha. Odd subject, how to get stoned in the world of Malaz.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#6 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

View PostKanese S, on 13 January 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

But crack is a form of cocaine, not an opiate.

I thought both Durhang and D'bayang were opiates, though. Rust Leaf I thought was either tobacco or something between tobacco and cannabis.

Good question, though, ha ha. Odd subject, how to get stoned in the world of Malaz.

That's easy, white Quorl Milk
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

White Quorl Milk sound like liquid Rohypnol.

#8 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:10 AM

Nah, sounds a bit less terrible than that. It's described as not unpleasant... just... a bit heavy on the whole "lowering inhibitions" thing.

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

It knocks you the fuck out.

#10 User is offline   Ben Delat 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

yes, from the descriptions you only have a few seconds from drinking it to blacking out and waking up the next day sometime(quorl milk)

They actuall say D'bayang poppy in a few of the books so that definitely has a relation to opiates.

Durhang is a pollen collected and mashed into a hash like substance but the effects are different than hash, more like heroin than anything IMO.

Rustleaf does seem to be a cross between tobacco and cannabis, the way they smoke it, to calm the nerves and so forth seems like cannabis but Aranict mentions it also helps subdue her hunger which seems more like tobacco to me, as we know cannabis has never been accused of getting rid ogf hunger =)

#11 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

tLoLE has rustleaf, durhang and d'bayang references in it:

-Mancy smokes rustleaf from a pipe regularly

-Stressed out by Korbal Broach, he starts adding durhang to his rustleaf pipe. Side effects include making him very hungry to the point that he is wolfing down every scrap of the absolutely disgusting food.

-D'bayang was given to a wounded soldier to put him to sleep

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#12 User is offline   Truthwalker 

• Recruit

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:43 AM

A few pages later in tLoLe, Bauchelaine says "durhang has the effect of diminished capacities, of chronic ennui, and the obliteration of all ambition in the user." and also says "Paranoia, I should add here, is a common affliction among durhang users."

I think it is safe to say that durhang is equivalent to hash in the world of Malaz.

I would say that rustleaf is similar to tobacco (dried tobacco is the color of rust) and d'bayang is the Malazan form of opium.

White Qorl Milk...is the devil. Cheers! :)

#13 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:12 AM

View PostAptorius, on 15 January 2012 - 07:31 AM, said:

It knocks you the fuck out.

No, it blacks you out. There's a big difference. Generally speaking (I know there are exceptions, but I'm speaking generally), you can't be an active participant in an orgy if you're unconscious or very close to unconscious.

#14 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

Tell that to the Tenescowri victims.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

"Active" is the key word here.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic