Malazan Empire: Explain to me why I want to read the novellas... - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Explain to me why I want to read the novellas...

#1 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

So I've read all of the ICE and SE books except for the novellas. I love Malazan, and want a fix while waiting for the next books to release, but am not sure about the Bauchelaine and Korbal Broach books. Are there any cameos from our other characters? Any good information? Will I be dissappointed?
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

Read them for fun. If you enjoy absurd, black humor. If you liked the interactions between Bauchelain and Korbal Broach in Memories of Ice, I'd definitely give these a try. They certainly aren't vital to understanding the story, though.

I've heard the fourth book, Crack'd Pot Trail, is an amazing commentary about the nature of art.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

View PostDefiance, on 12 January 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

I've heard the fourth book, Crack'd Pot Trail, is an amazing commentary about the nature of art.

Abalieno went overboard with the praise for that novella. It's kind of like a funny version of Rashomon and Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted mixed together. Go in expecting very little actual Bauchelain and Broach and you should be pleasantly surprised at the horror comedy.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostBlissFulnite, on 12 January 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

So I've read all of the ICE and SE books except for the novellas. I love Malazan, and want a fix while waiting for the next books to release, but am not sure about the Bauchelaine and Korbal Broach books. Are there any cameos from our other characters? Any good information? Will I be dissappointed?

As said above, the main reason to read them is for the humour. There is no mistaking that they are Malazan through-and-through, so if your main concern is that you want them to fit into the world of the novels, that is not a problem.

I would have formerly also said to read at least Blood Follows just to see Korel, but now with SW out that doesn't really work, so here's something else. You may or may not remember, but there's an off-hand reference in RG or DoD about
Spoiler

Well if you're curious what that is, the answer is in Lees of Laughter's End (not confirmed 100% but it's by far the most reasonable answer, and it is awesome). So you'd get more world-building from that.

Of course Lees follows from Blood Follows, so you've got to read that first, and then with both of those down why not round it out with Healthy Dead...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

I think Lees is the most Malaz-related of the novellas thus far (I haven't read the fourth) and it's easily my favorite. I love the idea of Mael's blood. But the other novellas are enjoyable enough to check out; just pick up the omnibus edition.

Don't forget Erikson's also got "Goats of Glory" in the Swords & Dark Magic anthology, which is almost entirely unrelated to anything Malazan, but has a couple of details that hint that it's in the Malazan universe, and SE himself confirmed that it takes place south of Shal Morzinn on the 7C continent.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#6 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

They are not directly related to the Malazan sequence, but they are great fun in the world of Malazan. Plus, I think that Erikson is actually a much better writer at novella length. I enjoy them very much and can't wait for more.

#7 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

You should read them because they are hilarious.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#8 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

_Crack'd Pot Trail_ is amazingly good.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users