#141 User is offline   Kessobahn 

• Recruit
  • Group: Game alts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

View PostOsseric, on 09 January 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

View PostAtrahal, on 09 January 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

View PostOsseric, on 09 January 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

View PostAtrahal, on 09 January 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

No, it's a reasonable idea - UB making BB more legitimate by afflicting him with silence, giving him shelter from Day 1 antics

But how can this not be WIFOM, as GL has wittily named it?

Because a smart UB would know that we expect that and wait a couple days to get some townies first, ad nauseum

Damn. I was hoping no one would bring up WIFOM. That word can easily invalidate an argument.

@engorged words. But he would know that we know that he knows that we know that we can expect him to silence townies first, so he silences himself or his killer first.

Obvious WIFOM, yes. Merely presenting a theory other than HE SAID KNIFE! HE MUST BE KILLER!

BUt isn't WIFOM one of the gauges that we must use to determine if an idea/theory/case/argument can be legitimately pursued? The confusion that follows will make smoke. This is why I asked if this was a serious line of question (and it must be, two pages of it) or spam.

Yes, but just because an argument involves WIFOM, doesn't mean it should be ignored. The only way to find out if a WIFOM case has any validity is to test it. In the game of Mafia, this is generally a bad idea. Better cases can be made, and the day could be considered wasted if the person lynched comes up inno. But in this case it is day 1. Day 1 cases are often random, and the only information we gain is the lynch train when that person's CF is revealed. There's a theory, if it will ever be tested, now is the time. Worst-case scenario is that he is inno. We still have the lynch train to examine, and the interactions of day 1. Best case, he turns out to be the killer and we cheer. Although the symp comes up inno in a CF, we'd know that he is gone when no one is silenced.

I'm actually surprised no one has agreed with me at all.

View PostSheltatha Lore, on 09 January 2012 - 11:21 PM, said:

Well, at the least we know who is silenced pretty early in the day. That being said, I'll leave you until later in the day, say... 12 hours from now, maybe even a bit later. Not my idea to have meetings at clients, but that's how they ordain it, and as long as they pay me, I'm their obedient slave servant non-mafia playing little dragon.

Oh, and those looking for a massive piece on the current conjecture of whether or not UB would silence himself or BB, I'll oblige you: it's wifom.
Perhaps JA even asked UB before sorting out who got which alt.

That being said, my gut says in case UB was offered a choice, he wouldn't target BB or himself. By silencing himself, UB loses the chance to effectively symp BB. On a day as fickle as day 1, that is never a good plan. By silencing BB, he may encourage BB to lay so low day 1 that we will see him as a non-contributor and lynch him, or become suspicious of an increase in content when he can post again. Furthermore, it is player's nature to question what is odd and a person posting in pictures is always odd, also because it is very likely that we will ask the silenced player to explain himself and his thoughts more thoroughly the next day when he is not silenced, so effectively. there are 2 days of spotlight.

So, dear silenced player, please take notes.You will be subjected to a punishing crossfire of questions and soul searching * snaps surgical glove *.

So there it is, my 2 cents. Have a good night and sweet dreams.

No one here is that stupid. Obviously if someone is silenced, they're going to have limited content to their posts... BECAUSE THEY'RE SILENCED. And if anyone became more suspicious because of an increase in content THE DAY AFTER BEING SILENCED, they should talk to a doctor.

Sorry for the caps. I'd usually bold it, but that's frowned upon here where bolding is used for votes.

View PostKaratallid, on 09 January 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

Well, we can break it down into a decision tree:

First, how likely is the silenced one to be evil?

If Okaros was UB or BB, he would be in a precarious position considering all the attention he will garner, especially if he posts the wrong pictures and calls even more attention to himself. In general, I think probabilistically speaking, scum are more liable to play it moderately safe on day 1 and hide in the crowd rather than making a ballsy move. That doesn't discount the more likely possibility that UB or BB will be silenced later in the game...

but initially, since the silence probably was submitted to JA before the beginning of the game, I think a silenced person is more likely to be one of us selected at random.

Second, both scum know each other despite not being able to communicate. I think this can play out in several ways, but I think I will hold speculation till later in the day so as not to let the scum try to act in a way opposite to the speculations.

Third and finally, I think there are subtle, maybe unintentional, efforts of people to style themselves in a certain way through their texts. For instance, Osseric with several uses of the phrase "ignorant masses" which I would associate with someone implying they are a townie or even RI role.

This post is actually alright. I disagree with it, but it doesn't bother me as much as the earlier posts. You think it's more likely that scum will play it moderately safe on day 1 and hide in the crowd, and I disagree. And I think it's something easily tested. But I've been there already (see first response), so I'll move on.

@ Third point.

Just because I actually am town, doesn't mean I shouldn't play like town.

underlined makes no sense. explain pls?

vote Osseric

#142 User is offline   Osseric 

• Recruit

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:23 AM

Just because I said ignorant masses, doesn't mean I've got my tryhard-panties on trying to convince people I'm town. I am town, so sometimes I'll say towny things. I suppose it would be smarter if everyone just didn't do it at all, but it slips in a lot.

#143 User is offline   Karatallid 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:secks

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

Osseric, I guess my hesitancy to vote for the silenced player is the inability for him to defend himself adequately. Look how many words you have used to defend your simple position of "silenced could be scum. we should test that. lynch 'em and we have our answer." i respect your position and your disagreement with mine. more reasoning behind mine:

• if we allow okaros to live till tomorrow, we obtain his potentially valuable insight into our game and even potentially save ourselves the pain of killing on of our roled players.

• lynching okaros just because he's silenced doesn't really give us that much information. the theory is too basic (either UB choose to silence himself, BB or someone else, ... and this is where your maths iz wrongz Kesso, it's a 50-50 chance, depending on whether or not the UB decides to silence his team or ours) however, if we can pick out a subtle (or blatant if team scum is offering) clue as to who is who, we can not only get information as to wether our arguments are correct, but we can also then look into what they said and analyze it to our benefit. At best we will find not only a testable behavior, but we may also have a shot at spotting interactions between the recently deceased and our second scum.

btw, if i may be elitist, I love how this same argument comes up game after game. deja vu

#144 User is offline   Kessobahn 

• Recruit

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

View PostKaratallid, on 10 January 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

Osseric, I guess my hesitancy to vote for the silenced player is the inability for him to defend himself adequately. Look how many words you have used to defend your simple position of "silenced could be scum. we should test that. lynch 'em and we have our answer." i respect your position and your disagreement with mine. more reasoning behind mine:

• if we allow okaros to live till tomorrow, we obtain his potentially valuable insight into our game and even potentially save ourselves the pain of killing on of our roled players.

• lynching okaros just because he's silenced doesn't really give us that much information. the theory is too basic (either UB choose to silence himself, BB or someone else, ... and this is where your maths iz wrongz Kesso, it's a 50-50 chance, depending on whether or not the UB decides to silence his team or ours) however, if we can pick out a subtle (or blatant if team scum is offering) clue as to who is who, we can not only get information as to wether our arguments are correct, but we can also then look into what they said and analyze it to our benefit. At best we will find not only a testable behavior, but we may also have a shot at spotting interactions between the recently deceased and our second scum.

btw, if i may be elitist, I love how this same argument comes up game after game. deja vu

err, what?
how the hell is it 50-50?

UB could summon any one of the 14 people. 2 of them are scum.

each town casting a vote knows that he is inno. thus, to him, there is a 2 in 13 chance of hitting scum.

reduced, you get a 1 in 6.5

deffo not 50-50

#145 User is offline   Karatallid 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:44 AM

View PostKessobahn, on 10 January 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

err, what?

each town casting a vote knows that he is inno. thus, to him, there is a 2 in 13 chance of hitting scum.

deffo not 50-50

This is true, if his choice was truly random. But we are assuming he knows who BB is before he chooses which alt to silence, right?

#146 User is offline   Osseric 

• Recruit

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

Well here's a few observations only tangentially related to my theory.

Part of the reason I started that was to get some kind of discussion going. I wanted to read reactions, and such. That didn't go exactly as planned, but there were a few people who didn't want to get into it at all. Namely:

View PostTiamatha, on 09 January 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

Wait what? I'm not on the list? Am I like reverse-silenced? Uncle Ben can silence players and Auntie Benda has the power to make non-existent players speak?

Tiam posts in the middle of GL's and mine argument. He doesn't actually say anything useful.

View PostSorrit, on 09 January 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

my apologies but I'm off to bed. The game started at an impractical time for me.

Sorrit peaces out. Believable, I suppose.

View PostSilanah, on 09 January 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

Sorry guys, I'm at work all day today and can't post much. I'll try and keep track of the thread and should be back on this evening.

Silanah pops in, then says BBL. Believable, I suppose.

Those were the least contributing people who were online during the discussion. The most worrying is Tiam, who decides not to voice an opinion despite being around and clearly reading the thread.

#147 User is offline   Kessobahn 

• Recruit

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

View PostKaratallid, on 10 January 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

View PostKessobahn, on 10 January 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

err, what?

deffo not 50-50

This is true, if his choice was truly random. But we are assuming he knows who BB is before he chooses which alt to silence, right?

well, yes, he knows. but since we don't know either, to the town a choice is as good as random. At this point, it's virtualy impossible to correctly second-guess scum (that's what we call wifom)
so, regardless of silencing, we're looking at a basically random day 1, as with any other game.

#148 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

View PostKaratallid, on 09 January 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

View PostPath-Shaper, on 09 January 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

View PostOsseric, on 09 January 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

View PostAtrahal, on 09 January 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

View PostGalayn Lord, on 09 January 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

I'm not complaining about your case.

It has its own Vizzinian rationale.

I'm curious if you actually expect it to go anywhere, though.

Hey, I actually get that

I didn't. Explain to the ignorant masses?

Heretic

V

PS is giving it away!!! kill the scum!!!

Vote Osseric

Edit: wrong ignorant person.

My post was purely aimed at the lack of Princess bride knowledge that Osseric demonstrated and is not to be interpreted as anything game related. I has mod hammer... ^_^

Vengeance
Only someone with this much power could make this many frittatas without breaking any eggs.

#149 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

It is Day 1. 29 hours and 23 minutes remaining
14 Players still alive: Atrahal, Eloth, Galayn Lord, Karatallid, Kessobahn, Korlat, Okaros, Olar Ethil, Osseric, Sheltatha Lore, Silanah, Sorrit, Tiamatha, Tulas Shorn

8 votes to lynch, 7 votes to go to night.

1 Vote for Galayn Lord ( Korlat )
1 Vote for Okaros ( Osseric )
1 Vote for Korlat ( Tiamatha )
2 Votes for Osseric ( Karatallid, Kessobahn )

Players not voted: Atrahal, Eloth, Galayn Lord, Okaros, Olar Ethil, Sheltatha Lore, Silanah, Sorrit, Tulas Shorn

This post has been edited by Path-Shaper: 10 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

Only someone with this much power could make this many frittatas without breaking any eggs.

#150 User is offline   Karatallid 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:58 AM

View PostPath-Shaper, on 10 January 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

View PostKaratallid, on 09 January 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

View PostPath-Shaper, on 09 January 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

View PostOsseric, on 09 January 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

View PostAtrahal, on 09 January 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

View PostGalayn Lord, on 09 January 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

I'm not complaining about your case.

It has its own Vizzinian rationale.

I'm curious if you actually expect it to go anywhere, though.

Hey, I actually get that

I didn't. Explain to the ignorant masses?

Heretic

V

PS is giving it away!!! kill the scum!!!

Vote Osseric

Edit: wrong ignorant person.

My post was purely aimed at the lack of Princess bride knowledge that Osseric demonstrated and is not to be interpreted as anything game related. I has mod hammer... ^_^

Vengeance

Oh common on Vengy, just having fun. And I gave real reasons for my vote shortly there after. :D

#151 User is offline   Karatallid 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

Hmmmm, it must be, what, dinner time in Midwest US, and pathshaper is posting. I doubt that would be JA (since he has to be asleep), so PS has to be alted at Venge!!!!

#152 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:06 AM

View PostKaratallid, on 10 January 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

Hmmmm, it must be, what, dinner time in Midwest US, and pathshaper is posting. I doubt that would be JA (since he has to be asleep), so PS has to be alted at Venge!!!!

^_^

#153 User is offline   Kessobahn 

• Recruit

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

yep, it's definitely vengy.

#154 User is offline   Okaros 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:08 AM

View PostSheltatha Lore, on 09 January 2012 - 11:21 PM, said:

Well, at the least we know who is silenced pretty early in the day. That being said, I'll leave you until later in the day, say... 12 hours from now, maybe even a bit later. Not my idea to have meetings at clients, but that's how they ordain it, and as long as they pay me, I'm their obedient slave servant non-mafia playing little dragon.

Oh, and those looking for a massive piece on the current conjecture of whether or not UB would silence himself or BB, I'll oblige you: it's wifom.
Perhaps JA even asked UB before sorting out who got which alt.

That being said, my gut says in case UB was offered a choice, he wouldn't target BB or himself. By silencing himself, UB loses the chance to effectively symp BB. On a day as fickle as day 1, that is never a good plan. By silencing BB, he may encourage BB to lay so low day 1 that we will see him as a non-contributor and lynch him, or become suspicious of an increase in content when he can post again. Furthermore, it is player's nature to question what is odd and a person posting in pictures is always odd, also because it is very likely that we will ask the silenced player to explain himself and his thoughts more thoroughly the next day when he is not silenced, so effectively. there are 2 days of spotlight.

So, dear silenced player, please take notes.You will be subjected to a punishing crossfire of questions and soul searching * snaps surgical glove *.

So there it is, my 2 cents. Have a good night and sweet dreams.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#155 User is offline   Kessobahn 

• Recruit

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:13 AM

yes, possibly.

I do find it amusing how she's blaming the victim

#156 User is offline   Osseric 

• Recruit

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:38 AM

Why did the thread die while I made coffee ^_^

#157 User is offline   Karatallid 

• Lieutenant

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:52 AM

'cause you weren't going to share.

#158 User is offline   Path-Shaper 

• Mafia Modgod

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

Cause you drink coffee and not tea

#159 User is offline   Osseric 

• Recruit

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:18 AM

Tea doesn't keep me awake, does it? And it doesn't go nearly as well with chocolate.

#160 User is offline   Atrahal 

• Recruit

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:41 AM

alright, I'm back for a minute, then I have to go to bed

What does the green people picture in Okaros post mean?

Share this topic:

• 66 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users