• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Released Prologue and chapters 1 and 2 Spoilers abound

#21 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:18 AM

I only viewed the map and the second page of the DP. My will power is almost 9000!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#22 User is offline   MillionSpots 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:25 AM

Oh my god WANT
Now if only the rest of the damn pages would load...

Looking at the list of the Seguleh, I'm surprised to find someone named Beru.

#23 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:37 AM

By the way, Christ Almighty those shards of Moon's Spawn traveled FAR.

Almost unbelievably far. Unless they were shed underwater on the trip from Darujhistan on some sort of backwards pattern to Coral.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#24 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:50 AM

View PostMillionSpots, on 24 December 2011 - 02:25 AM, said:

Oh my god WANT

You are surprised ICE has a derivative four letter name for a character?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#25 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:07 AM

Beru is the name of a god.

#26 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:13 AM

JLV, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

#27 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:50 AM

View PostMillionSpots, on 24 December 2011 - 02:25 AM, said:

Oh my god WANT

It should read Senu...

Anyone know an email address at the publishers we can spam to correct it?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#28 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:58 AM

"It's not precise when the end of TCG in relation to DoD is, but it seems like (very roughly) a year or so."

Nope, TCG ends 3-4 months after DoD. The battles at the end of the book take place 3 months after the meating between Tavore and her allies.

This post has been edited by Asharak: 24 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

#29 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:07 AM

I'm really disapointed that Iskaral Pust is absent from the DP. I was looking forward to some whacky Pust shenanigans. Also, what's soldiers from the Second army doing on Genebackis, I thought they all went with Paran to Kolanese?
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#30 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

View PostD, on 24 December 2011 - 01:55 AM, said:

OK I caved

Sinisdar & Tapper:
Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tapper: 24 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#31 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

I'm not convinced that Beru is Senu D'rek. The only reference to Mok's brother is to Jan "for all new Jan's feelings regarding Mok, his elder brother, who volunteered to silence those disrespectful pannions. and who returned ... changed. Broken."

Beru is mentioned frequently in the text, and doesn't seem to be linked to Senu in any way, unless I'm missing something.

Re the seguleh, there certainly does seem to be some differences from the erikson canon, the seguleh fighting with 2 handed longswords is different, but not unsurprising as we have seen seguleh such as the second fighting with weapons other than the two blades most of the seguleh seem to use.

The fact that the first is dead and the second is around however is surprising - as K'rul said "Yet, with the Second missing, and with Mok's
growing prowess, no doubt the First had his reasons.", presumably then the first must have passed away relatively recently, and the second returned for things to fit timeline wise. Sad to see no Mok or senu in this one at first glance (hopefully they make an appearance however)

The fact of a ruling family 'the jistari' is also something of a surprise, don't quite know how that fits with a meritocratic duelling society but we will see.

Re Aragan, he was a cameo character for a long time, I think Erikson was initially trying to get him in every book, he was in NoK, GotM (recruiting seargeant), DhG (Lasseens guard), MoI (Ambasador), and I think he was mentioned in passing in most of the other books save Midnight Tides. Looks like we will finally see some more of him.

#32 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 24 December 2011 - 04:53 PM, said:

Re the seguleh, there certainly does seem to be some differences from the erikson canon, the seguleh fighting with 2 handed longswords is different, but not unsurprising as we have seen seguleh such as the second fighting with weapons other than the two blades most of the seguleh seem to use.

Ya, it is strange that the Seguleh are not fighting with two swords. Especially since ICE in RotCG had both the Seguleh on the ship and Rell the ex-Seguleh fighting with their traditional two light duelling swords as well. So its not just a SE directive. Though ICE had written that book about 10-15 years ago I believe.
Perhaps an (in-universe) change in style by their society?

#33 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

I can't seem to zoom into the pages enough to actually be able to read them - anyone help? Thanks!
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#34 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

I'm not convinced that Beru is Senu D'rek. The only reference to Mok's brother is to Jan "for all new Jan's feelings regarding Mok, his elder brother, who volunteered to silence those disrespectful pannions. and who returned ... changed. Broken."

Beru is mentioned frequently in the text, and doesn't seem to be linked to Senu in any way, unless I'm missing something.

The fact that the first is dead and the second is around however is surprising - as K'rul said "Yet, with the Second missing, and with Mok's
growing prowess, no doubt the First had his reasons.", presumably then the first must have passed away relatively recently, and the second returned for things to fit timeline wise. Sad to see no Mok or senu in this one at first glance (hopefully they make an appearance however)

The fact of a ruling family 'the jistari' is also something of a surprise, don't quite know how that fits with a meritocratic duelling society but we will see.

Re Aragan, he was a cameo character for a long time, I think Erikson was initially trying to get him in every book, he was in NoK, GotM (recruiting seargeant), DhG (Lasseens guard), MoI (Ambasador), and I think he was mentioned in passing in most of the other books save Midnight Tides. Looks like we will finally see some more of him.

The Seguleh quote taken out of context makes it seem that, as the Seconds position is vacant, Mok will be challenging the First for his title. This he was sent against the Pannions to get rid of him. It now seems Mok volunteered and its possible the First sent him as his experience as his potential sucessor. While we dont know alot it seems the Firsts are chosen somehow and martial prowess isnt everything.

The problem with that is it doesnt explain Broods comment of 'could you cross swords with Hreymane, Rake, The Seguleh First' when the First was an ancient.

I now imagine the first as one of those ancient kung fu masters btw

#35 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:05 PM

View Posttiam, on 24 December 2011 - 07:22 PM, said:

The Seguleh quote taken out of context makes it seem that, as the Seconds position is vacant, Mok will be challenging the First for his title. This he was sent against the Pannions to get rid of him. It now seems Mok volunteered and its possible the First sent him as his experience as his potential sucessor. While we dont know alot it seems the Firsts are chosen somehow and martial prowess isnt everything.

The problem with that is it doesnt explain Broods comment of 'could you cross swords with Hreymane, Rake, The Seguleh First' when the First was an ancient.

I now imagine the first as one of those ancient kung fu masters btw

it could be that brood, like us, is just unaware of the true state of affairs concerning the seguleh first.

one small thing: ICE has a seguleh named gall. srsly?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#36 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:16 PM

Like I said. Four letter, derivative names. It's an ICE book, what did you expect?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#37 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:15 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 24 December 2011 - 06:39 PM, said:

I can't seem to zoom into the pages enough to actually be able to read them - anyone help? Thanks!

Well Khell, what you have to do is install the Adobe Flash plugin like it actually asks you to. Then you can do all sorts of things - including zooming in.

#38 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:16 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 25 December 2011 - 02:15 AM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 24 December 2011 - 06:39 PM, said:

Well Khell, what you have to do is install the Adobe Flash plugin like it actually asks you to. Then you can do all sorts of things - including zooming in.

Thanks Khell, that was extremely helpful! Well, off to read it now!

#39 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:31 AM

First thing that struck me - ICE is up to his usual naming tricks. A scholar called Ebbin...he should meet Fist D'Ebbin from Stonewielder sometime...

Ok ok, now to actually read the chapter.

#40 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:45 AM

Ooops ICE. I know this is nitpicky in the extreme, but Kruppe doesn't use the first person 'I' as he's done at least once already :D

Also, about Thenaj:

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users