Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How long until the withdrawal hits? *twitch*

#1 User is offline   Vetseun 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

After much umh'ing and ahh'ing (see here) I finally got Storm Front a couple of months ago... followed by Fool Moon. Followed by Grave Peril. Followed by... Followed by...

Suffice it to say that my life has been a glorious back-to-back dresdencrack fuelled high up until this morning when I finished Ghost Story...

Bloody hell, what a ride!! I can't believe I waited so long before getting hooked started...

This is my post saying thank you and asking just how bad is the withdrawal going to be?

*twitch*

#2 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

Withdrawal is terrible, but you can stave it off by finding the short story collection _Side Jobs_, and then embarking on a reread. It's not quite the same (and it deepens the addiction), but it'll help you through the worst.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#3 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 15 December 2011 - 12:25 PM, said:

Withdrawal is terrible, but you can stave it off by finding the short story collection _Side Jobs_, and then embarking on a reread. It's not quite the same (and it deepens the addiction), but it'll help you through the worst.

Definitely Side Jobs. Also track down his original graphic novel, Welcome to the Jungle. But after that, you're screwed. Sorry.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

View PostVetseun, on 15 December 2011 - 08:56 AM, said:

...This is my post saying thank you and asking just how bad is the withdrawal going to be?

You're welcome.

By which i mean welcome to dresdencrack withdrawal hell alongside the rest of us.

You can defray the convulsions somewhat by tracking down EVEN HAND, a Marcone short story that (shamefully) wasn't included in SIDE JOBS.

I think the GNs of STORM FRONT and FOOL MOON are now complete, tho i myself have only aquired WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE which was good fun and a decent dresdenfix.

I DO NOT recomend the tv series. Spare yourself the frustration.

You can also go the CODEX ALERA route, which, while very different, is eminently Butcher'esque and totally enjoyable (once you get past the middling first book).

I'd also suggest Mike Carey's five book FELIX CASTOR series, which i have described elsethread as methodone for the dresdencrack addict, and Richard Morgan's three TAKASHI KOVACS books, which are sf and ultraviolent but have a similarly irreverant first person narrator and are brilliant, imnsho.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 December 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

You can defray the convulsions somewhat by tracking down EVEN HAND, a Marcone short story that (shamefully) wasn't included in SIDE JOBS.

There's also "Curses", which can be found in Ellen Datlow's Naked City anthology.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users