• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars - The Old Republic MMO clan?

#201 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

They talk about an ancient empire that predates mankind called the Infinite Empire. Is this a part of the official Star Wars cannon or is it something Bioware has made up? If it is a part of the lore, what is it about? How big was this Infinite Empire and were they force users as well or were they primarily super technology users?

They are talking about the Rakata which are a Bioware invention. And yes they are part of the official cannon. They're Empire was scatted across the galaxy and they had created giant factories that fed off the Force. The Star Forge also took the words solar powered to new levels. But yeah, go play Knights of the Old Republic 1.

There is talk about the Emperor being "immortal". He's apparently been alive for at least 400 years I think. Or maybe he's dead and the ruling inner circle of the Sith Lords just pretend he's still alive for the sake of propaganda. But there's talk of another Jedi Master that has been imprisoned and tortured for 300 years by the emperor so it seems these guys are a lot more powerful than the current generations we see in the films. Can a Jedi live for ever?

Yes apparently this Emperor has been around since the Great Hyperspace War when the Republic beat the Sith Empire and tried to purge all traces of it. The Jedi master in question is kept in stasis (where he battles the will of the Sith Emperor which makes it sounds very close to the Immortal Emperor in 40k battling the Chaos Gods). For more on this Jedi master, play Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 (which amusingly enough reveals a lot about him ...if you trust the source). Seriously go play those games but make sure to get the patch/mod for Kotor2 that fills in the cut content.

What exactly are these force users capable of in the expanded universe. What are their limits? I remember reading that very strong force users can influence and guide entire fleets of battleships. There is talk in the game of Jedis being able to dominate entire planets. This is quite impressive compared to the wussy jedis we meet in the films.

Force users in the EU are only limited by the authors imagination and the plot. The power you mention is called Battle Meditation and it saps the will of the enemy and boosts the confidence of your own troops.

Are mediclorians only a part of the films or do they exist in the expanded universe? If they do, how the hell do you explain the spiritual nonsense with jedi ghosts taking over people and using the force. Are there also ghost mediclorians?

Midiclorians are cannon (sigh) but the only the prequel films use them (and maybe a few EU books but I don't recall). Other than that no one speaks of those things and the EU likes to keep the Sith mystical. There's a reason they have Sith Alchemy to create monsters and the Sith Lords in the Old Empire had crystal swords powered with the Dark Side which I think is awesome.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#202 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:35 AM

I always just assumed that the Yoda species lived for a 1000 years. Didn't think that it had anything to with the force since he appears to die of old age. But then again maybe Yoda always looked like that.

I've tried to play KOTOR three times and I never get past that first planet where you're supposed to go to the undercity and fight swoopgangs or something like that. I just lose interest. I've heard the game only takes off after you leave the first planet but... meh. Also your sidekick is a fucking whinny dick.

So about this Infinite Empire. Is there anything else like this in the EU? One of the things that has always annoyed me about the universe is that there doesn't seem to be any other contenders for supremacy than the Empire or The Republic. There are no rivaling Empires of other Alien magic users. Or galaxy clusters of Advanced AIs. Or any other factions/cybergods to threaten the characters from the outside. The struggle is always within.

If the Infinite Empire actually stretched from one end of the Galaxy to the other it would explain why all the races and cultures are working from about the same technological stand point and power. Having all once been part of a bigger apparatus. But is there something outside their Galaxy?

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 11 January 2012 - 04:36 AM

#203 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:44 AM

As far as I can remember there is literally an EU plotline entirely about that, about some race called the Yuzhan Vong or whatever, who the Empire was SHOCK HORROR originally founded to fight or some shit and the Republic failed miserably in comparison, massive war, some anti-Force blah, horrible writing etc. That's pretty much all I care to care about Star Wars nonsense though.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#204 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:37 AM

The page keeps updating and removing my writing before I can post, bt yes the Yuzhan Vong are some giant grown-tech species that invade the galaxy and beat the crap out of the new republic when han and leias kids are just becomming jedi. iirc, the Yuzhan Vong come from outside the galaxy. Should get Salt-Man-Z in here, I'm pretty sure he has read all the star wars books. I read like the first two Yuzhan Vong ones and didn't read the rest, I have read a lot of the film-era books though. I, Jedi was probably my favorite, but maybe because I loved the Rogue Squadron series as well. Of course this was all... fuck 15 years ago before I started reading Erikson.

I didnt read the books but apparently they are a huge threat.

Anyway, if you didn't play KOTOR 1 and 2, you missed out on some amazing games.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 11 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#205 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:06 AM

View PostObdigore, on 11 January 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

Anyway, if you didn't play KOTOR 1 and 2, you missed out on some amazing games.

Counting in this, two of the very fucking best video game characters of all time. OF ALL TIME! Kreia from KotOR2 and HK-47 from both games.
Meatbags.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#206 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:23 AM

iirc HK-47 is in one of the empire's Flashpoints, and there are quests to put him (or HK-51?) back together again that you cant start...yet, but are in the game :rofl:
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#207 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

The Empire wasn't founded to stop the Yuzhan Vong, that was just an excuse someone came up with at some point. But yeah the Vong really kicked the crap out of the New Republic which was lead by idiots. As for other threats you had the Kiliks (they are on Alderaan in TOR), the Ssi-ruuvi (who want your soul) and the Yevetha (who hate you for being vermin). Again it depends very much on what the author wants to do and I admit the Republic vs Empire conflict is the funnest to do (sorta how Imperium vs Chaos works the best in 40k). There was also that one story about the battle of Maridun that was basically Zulu. I think the current series of books is about an Eldritch Abomination running around and driving Jedi crazy.

Oh and there is one more think related to tech level. The war in TOR will lead into a lot of crapfests that will culminate into a Republic Dark Age.

Also what is people's problem with Carth? The man has some issues sure, but it's not he doesn't have a reason for them.

#208 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostGarak, on 11 January 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

Also what is people's problem with Carth? The man has some issues sure, but it's not he doesn't have a reason for them.

Carth is the first guy you team up with in KOTOR, right? The guy was just so emo. Meeeh, I am prickly and argumentative. I have a secret but I don't really want to talk to you about it. But I will constantly hint at it every time I have made a sour remark. But don't ask me about it okay? OKAY?! Oh alright since you really want to know, I once had my feelings hurt in kindergarden and ever since I have had commitment issue... Whhaaaaahhhhhhhh...

SHUT THE FUCK UP AND DIE!

Anyway...

I am wondering if there is a central storyline to game? So far besides the Flashpoints, I don't really seem to get involved in the main conflicts of the empire. I wish there was a quest line like the Class story line that slowly had you becoming involved in the Republic vs Empire. Right now I am just doing missions against various small threats that are backed by the Republic.

#209 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

At this point there's no official war, and you're an unremarkable guy making his way up the ladder... I think it's very interesting, at least the Inquisitor questline is.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#210 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

Really big picture but this is mindboggling

Spoiler

WHAT DOES IT MEAN!img]

#211 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

I don't know, but 'Good Lord' was probably the perfect first reply...
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#212 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Btw the next big SW guide to come out (that I know off at any rate) is the Essential Guide to Warfare. Here's a pic of Rakata fighting Kiliks (and judging by the buildings behind them I'd say the Rakata are the attackers in that pic).

Just thought it was cool and wanted to share. Also this.

#213 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

View PostGarak, on 11 January 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

Just thought it was cool and wanted to share. Also this.

I have to admit that the railshooting space missions are actually my favorite part about this game (Besides the storytelling of course he hastily added). I would pay good money for an expansion that put some more meat and PVP into the space combat missions.

#214 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:46 AM

Apt, I'm hopping for an update that adds guild capital ships and the ability to have like 5 guildies go take it to war! Huge expensive upgrades and the like. Om nom nom nom.

#215 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:58 AM

View PostAptorius, on 10 January 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

Okay, Starwars Nerds, fill me in on some details about the Star Wars universe.

They talk about an ancient empire that predates mankind called the Infinite Empire. Is this a part of the official Star Wars cannon or is it something Bioware has made up? If it is a part of the lore, what is it about? How big was this Infinite Empire and were they force users as well or were they primarily super technology users?

There is talk about the Emperor being "immortal". He's apparently been alive for at least 400 years I think. Or maybe he's dead and the ruling inner circle of the Sith Lords just pretend he's still alive for the sake of propaganda. But there's talk of another Jedi Master that has been imprisoned and tortured for 300 years by the emperor so it seems these guys are a lot more powerful than the current generations we see in the films. Can a Jedi live for ever?

What exactly are these force users capable of in the expanded universe. What are their limits? I remember reading that very strong force users can influence and guide entire fleets of battleships. There is talk in the game of Jedis being able to dominate entire planets. This is quite impressive compared to the wussy jedis we meet in the films.

Are mediclorians only a part of the films or do they exist in the expanded universe? If they do, how the hell do you explain the spiritual nonsense with jedi ghosts taking over people and using the force. Are there also ghost mediclorians?

The cool thing (read: not cool thing) about the extended universe is that everything published about star wars is cannon, because Lucas has a division set up to review and approve everything. So the EU creates cannon while contradicting other EU books/games and the original trilogy. The entire population of internet starwars apologists can't ever convince me otherwise. Any time I've read a book that involves the force too much, I lose interest. The space stuff is much more interesting (Rogue Squadron).

#216 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

Holy shit I just saw a nerf. A nerf! I don't know why but actually walking into the proverbial nerf after hearing the term nerfherder so many times is really fun.

#217 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

Someone is on Alderaan :rofl:

#218 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

One thing I have to complain about is that once you get a speeder and move faster, they just make the planet zones bigger :rofl:

#219 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:42 AM

I kind of liked how the planets are so much bigger, it makes them feel much more realistic

#220 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:40 AM

I would honestly had appreciated it more if they'd made the worlds even larger and just given our bikes more speed. It annoys me to no end that I only drive twice as fast as I can run. IT TAKES FOR FUCKING EVER TO DO THOSE STUPID BONUS QUESTS!

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

48 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 48 guests, 0 anonymous users