Malazan Empire: Fairweather GoT fans - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

Fairweather GoT fans Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Archeokat 

• Archeokat
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

I don't care if this sounds as miserable as I think it does, but is anyone else getting sniffy with their non-fantasy reading friends over their new found love for the genre, after GoT? I had a friend email me last week to say 'Hey! You read fantasy! Let's talk about GRRM!' and I honestly felt like going to the airport, getting on a plane and going to his house, just so I can pointedly ignore him when he answered the door. A couple of years after giving up reccomending books to my friends that I know they'd love, which they don't read because they're 'not really into fairies and shit', I'm finding this change in attitude more than a little bit galling.

Is this bothering anyone else? And if so, can you please let me know how to be polite about it?

#2 User is offline   Whiskey Bass 

• Grand High Cook of High House Bass(e)
  • "Dont gain the world and lose your sole, wisdom is better than silver and gold"

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

i remember feeling the same with Jackson's LotR film. just ignore them they'l soon move on
;)

#3 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

I know exactly what you mean., I put something on my facebook status about looking forward to GoT and got absolutley ripped apart for it!! lo and behold a couple of episodes into the series half of those people were emailing me or talking to me about how good it was.

I agree it is annoying but if that's what it takes for those people to realise that Fantasy isn't all about 'fairies and shit' I think its a good thing!!

This post has been edited by Hocknose: 14 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

Don't be hating. CONVERT them...

'If you like GoT, you MUST read the actual books. And then GGK's LIONS OF AL'RASSAM or maybe UNDER HEAVEN. And then hey, there's this Erikson guy...'
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

I'm not bothered as long as they understand that they will never, ever, ever know as much, or be as big a fan, as me. Posted Image

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#6 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:46 PM

Most of my friends are geeks so I don't have this problem.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7 User is offline   Archeokat 

• Archeokat

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

I love the internet; whatever did people do in the past when they wanted to bitch about their friends publicly?

#8 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

View PostD, on 17 October 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

I love the internet; whatever did people do in the past when they wanted to bitch about their friends publicly?

tHey bitched about their friends publicly.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#9 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

Or bitched about one set of friends to another set
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

There's like 50 year old sales guys at my office who say things like "Hey, you read fantasy right? That Game Of Thrones show is awesome..." and then they start to blather on or ask me questions about how the Starks will get revenge immediately at Joff and Cersei...and how evil and irredeemable Jaime is...LOL...and the BEST part? I get to be condescending to them in my head, wondering why the fools only bother to listen to me about good stories when the mass media tells them it's good.

Still, Abyss is right, a slow, deliberate conversion is a GREAT idea!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

I had a couple of friends tell me, "hey they're making a TV series of those books you read" as if I didn't know from the moment it was optioned

#12 User is offline   TronoSombrío 

• Corporal
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

yeah, thats always happen to me, but not only on books, its the same with music, series, etc
the first time that happend I thought they were making fun of my. ;)

#13 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

"Oh, I liked it before it was on TV/was cool!"

HIPSTER ALERT
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#14 User is offline   TronoSombrío 

• Corporal
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

Greymanekas its was cooler because you can imagine the characters as you like, but when TV´s puts real persons you cant.

#15 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

If the casting directors put the right people in there, this will not be a problem, and I felt they did a great job with that. ie Tyrion, Ned, Jon Snow, Arya - oddly enough, some of my favorite characters have the most approval from me regarding actors.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#16 User is offline   Starling 

• Not Docile

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 October 2011 - 02:31 PM, said:

Don't be hating. CONVERT them...

'If you like GoT, you MUST read the actual books. And then GGK's LIONS OF AL'RASSAM or maybe UNDER HEAVEN. And then hey, there's this Erikson guy...'

I am totally doing this with several of my friends at the moment. They discovered the T.V. series, then found the books, and then I was all "hey, if you like that, there is this other fantasy author, a bit harder to get into but totally worth it, and incidentally, I have Gardens of the Moon right here!"
... a nature generally described as happy-go-fuck-yourself.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users