Malazan Empire: How big was Moon's spawn? Also the BB bodies? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How big was Moon's spawn? Also the BB bodies?

#1 User is offline   Migol 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:35 PM

A fragment of Moon's Spawn, once the home of Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness, crashed into the Rivan Sea and created a chain of small islands.

As I recall, Moon's spawn hovered over Darujistan and other cities, and was basically small enough so that Rake standing on a platform in response to Tayschrenn and his cadre was visible.

But the above quote says that a mere fragment caused a small chain of islands? Color me confused; wouldn't that imply that Moon's Spawn was -huge-, like independence day huge? I never really got that impression at all. Or is it saying that the fragment somehow grew islands, IE by impacting so hard (while being underwater to start with) that it created magma fissures, or that the islands grew magically from the material (which doesn't really work as the K'chain Chemalle used machinery+standard rock from all we've seen)?

I'll also note that it's not clear if this happened before Moon's spawn erupted out of the water, or after it was "interred" with the BBs, but that still leaves things murky with how QB and Paran were able to visit later.

#2 User is offline   Furoan 

• Recruit

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:14 AM

View PostMigol, on 04 October 2011 - 10:35 PM, said:

A fragment of Moon's Spawn, once the home of Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness, crashed into the Rivan Sea and created a chain of small islands.

As I recall, Moon's spawn hovered over Darujistan and other cities, and was basically small enough so that Rake standing on a platform in response to Tayschrenn and his cadre was visible.

But the above quote says that a mere fragment caused a small chain of islands? Color me confused; wouldn't that imply that Moon's Spawn was -huge-, like independence day huge? I never really got that impression at all. Or is it saying that the fragment somehow grew islands, IE by impacting so hard (while being underwater to start with) that it created magma fissures, or that the islands grew magically from the material (which doesn't really work as the K'chain Chemalle used machinery+standard rock from all we've seen)?

I'll also note that it's not clear if this happened before Moon's spawn erupted out of the water, or after it was "interred" with the BBs, but that still leaves things murky with how QB and Paran were able to visit later.

I believe its mentioned as about the size of 'a mountain'. It's never really mentioned how BIG a mountain that is. Rake was like a 'tiny spec' iirc when he fought with Tays at Pale, and Tattersail was awed that she could see the aura of his power from the distance away (granted she was on the furthest hill, while Tays was in front and the her three high mages on the middle one.)

And as you mentioned its not clear 'when' this happened. Fragments were raining down on One-Arm's host during the siege of Pale were the mages were scorring hits on it, but this seems bigger, and as you mentioned this could be after Coral where its under water.

#3 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:24 AM

It was definitely big enough to create a variety of small islands. I know this because it appears a variety of small islands seem to be crucial to OST :p

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

My guess would be that it was shedding chunks as it carried the dead BBs off, and that's when this "fragment" (possibly a large portion of the whole) came down.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#5 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:36 PM

I thought size didn't matter...

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:18 PM

That's a lie told by the powers that be to keep certain lesser men from extreme despair/suicide, and therefore remain better workers.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users