Malazan Empire: GoT comic - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

GoT comic w preview link Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

So Dynamite is doing a GAME OF THRONES comic. Fantasy author Daniel Abraham is actually writing it.

Newsarama has a preview here: http://www.newsarama...m.php?aid=44285

(note it's only the first 12 pages or so, not all 42, dammit)

The art is nice enough. I find the narration a bit clunky and the wights... well... let's just say i thought the book and the tv show did it better.

Won't be buying the floppies but likely will check this out if a collected ed. is released.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm perfectly fine with Ice and Fire remaining books. I haven't watched the HBO series yet, despite the fact that the majority of reviews for it have been good. One of the reasons I enjoy reading so much is that I can envision things in my head, picture them how I want with a little aid from the author. With things like this, though - the TV show especially - all the characters are given a permanent face. It's why I'm glad that the chances of Malazan becoming a movie/TV series are slim to none. The things I can picture in my head are infinitely more powerful than what can be projected onto a TV screen.

To each his own, though.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:38 AM

View PostDefiance, on 21 September 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm perfectly fine with Ice and Fire remaining books. I haven't watched the HBO series yet, despite the fact that the majority of reviews for it have been good. One of the reasons I enjoy reading so much is that I can envision things in my head, picture them how I want with a little aid from the author. With things like this, though - the TV show especially - all the characters are given a permanent face. It's why I'm glad that the chances of Malazan becoming a movie/TV series are slim to none. The things I can picture in my head are infinitely more powerful than what can be projected onto a TV screen.

To each his own, though.

I'm a huge fan of the TV show, but I think that has more to do with a combination of two factors than any pressing need to see books I enjoy adapted to screen: (1) I'm a bit of a TV-phile and very much an HBO-phile and (2) it's acceptable Ice and Fire fare I can consume on the long, cold waits between books while my fanboyism dwindles and I nurture the hate and cynicism for GRRM that I stuff down into the basement of my soul whenever a book is released. It's also cool, as a longtime fan of the books, to see people reacting to this stuff and becoming enthusiastic about the story who have never otherwise had any interest in the books, or the genre for that matter.

Aside from those factors, I largely agree with you. Especially when it comes to most of the rest of the Ice and Fire dross that gets churned out (Dunk and Egg novellas being an obvious exception but since they're actual prequel installments and not just rehashed and repackaged material from the main series arc they don't even count.) The calendars, the figurines, even these graphic novels are, to me, kind of a fart in the wind, a fart whose volume and offensiveness is amplified by the constant loom of the possibility that the main series might not get finished.

This post has been edited by Ceda Cicero: 22 September 2011 - 12:39 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#4 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

looks good.

Wouldn't say I'd read it but I have to hand it to the artist.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#5 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

Doomed to fail. If there's a 10 hour tv-series, why buy a periodic comic that covers the same thing? If it is going to show more detail than the series, it will proceed at a snail's pace. If it proceeds at a snail's pace and you're OK with that, why not buy the book? If you hate to read, then buy the dvds. And then I'm not even touching the subject of nudity and X-rated content which will have to be mellowed down a tone.

Comics are an awesome medium, but generally not when competing with tv for a subject's attention, unless the tv-series are a spin-off from the comic.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#6 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

I was very satisfied with the way in which the TV show was handled. Sure there are some alterations and other omitted scenes, but it captures the essence of the books very well. Some of the additions also help illustrate characters in a new light. This is my favorite book to tv/movie adaption ever.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users