Malazan Empire: Varying covers in US publications? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Varying covers in US publications? A question about covers.

#1 User is offline   Jaremaing 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Making and Listening to Music.
    Reading fantasy novels is usually what I do when I'm not at school (I'm majoring in Piano Performance). My favorite books include: The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss, A Storm of Swords, by George R.R. Martin, The Lord of the Rings, by Tolkien, The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch, among others. My favorite non-fantasy book would have to be To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.
    As far as music goes, I love a broad range. My favorite band, for example, is Dream Theater (progressive metal), yet my favorite album is Pet Sound by the Beach Boys.
    I also love playing games. My favorite game is Shadow of the Colossus. I also love all Zelda games, Mass Effect, and Portal.
    I've gone on way too long. I should be like the Mhbye and ramble on in all italics!

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:47 AM

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't appear to be a general series board.

I own most of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, but the cover artist varies for each one. On Gardens of the Moon, Midnight Tides, The Bonehunters, and Dust of Dreams (I don't own the Crippled God quite yet), the cover art is credited to Steve Stone.

On Deadhouse Gates, Memories of Ice, House of Chains, Reaper's Gale, and Toll the Hounds, it's credited to Carol Russo Design. What matters is the words, of course, and the words are excellent, but it does create an uneven feel on the bookshelf.

I'm not complaining, I just want to know why some have different designed covers than others. I'm sure there's a fascinating reason for it, because I've been unable to find a consistent cover design in any book store.

Thank you for helping.

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:16 AM

Jaremaing, on 28 August 2011 - 02:47 AM, said:

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't appear to be a general series board.

I own most of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, but the cover artist varies for each one. On Gardens of the Moon, Midnight Tides, The Bonehunters, and Dust of Dreams (I don't own the Crippled God quite yet), the cover art is credited to Steve Stone.

On Deadhouse Gates, Memories of Ice, House of Chains, Reaper's Gale, and Toll the Hounds, it's credited to Carol Russo Design. What matters is the words, of course, and the words are excellent, but it does create an uneven feel on the bookshelf.

I'm not complaining, I just want to know why some have different designed covers than others. I'm sure there's a fascinating reason for it, because I've been unable to find a consistent cover design in any book store.

Thank you for helping.

I might not be 100% correct on this, but here's what I think is the case:

MBotF is published by Bantam in the UK, Australia, Canada, etc., but in the US is published by Tor (and therefore comes out 6 months to a year later). Bantam and Tor each made and used their own covers for their publications of the novels up to TtH. For whatever reason, for DoD and TCG Tor used the Bantam covers so those novels look the same.

Furhtermore, around tBH or so, Bantam changed around the title font and layout on their covers into the design with the big metal helmet. RG and onwards have the big helmet design, but the books from GotM to tBH were re-printed with new covers including the helmet design.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   Jaremaing 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Making and Listening to Music.
    Reading fantasy novels is usually what I do when I'm not at school (I'm majoring in Piano Performance). My favorite books include: The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss, A Storm of Swords, by George R.R. Martin, The Lord of the Rings, by Tolkien, The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch, among others. My favorite non-fantasy book would have to be To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.
    As far as music goes, I love a broad range. My favorite band, for example, is Dream Theater (progressive metal), yet my favorite album is Pet Sound by the Beach Boys.
    I also love playing games. My favorite game is Shadow of the Colossus. I also love all Zelda games, Mass Effect, and Portal.
    I've gone on way too long. I should be like the Mhbye and ramble on in all italics!

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:23 AM

Thank you. That makes sense.

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:22 AM

Carol Russo Design just does, like, the logos and text and whatnot. The actual cover artist for most of the Tor (original) editions is Todd Lockwood. Newer editions, however, mostly use Steve Stone artwork.

The original Tor cover artists:

GotM - Stephen Youll
DG - Steve Stone
MoI through TtH - Todd Lockwood
DoD & TCG - Steve Stone

Sound like your Steve Stone covers of GotM, MT, and TB are the new reprint editions.

What sucks is that Tor changed the entire design of the books, starting with DoD, to better match the Bantam UK editions, and are slowly redoing the previous books as reprints are required. At the moment, it's impossible to get a "matching set" of Tor editions.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users