Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan reconquest of Fist Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Fereydoon 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

I read this book before together with ICE's others before I started on any of SE's and this was some time ago now and because of this odd order of reading I might have missed some crucial plot elements in the over all story. So my question is. Was there any significance tot he retaking of Fist by Mallick Rel through Greymane in relation to the Adjunct's escapades on the Lether continent?

#2 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:51 PM

None

#3 User is offline   Midnight 

• Captain

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

Yeah there was no relation. The Adjunct was pursuing her own aims independent of the empire and Rel was just attempting to expand the empire.

Also, I don't think the Malazans were successful in retaking Fist...it's a little ambiguous at the end of the novel.

This post has been edited by Midnight: 24 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:59 PM

i think Emperor Rel will slowly exersize economic and political power to cow whatever is left of korel. that wave did some damage, and the theocracy is shattered.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   Fereydoon 

• Corporal

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

I see - thanks. I didn't think there would be any imperial interests in teh two campaigns, I was wondering whether there was any divine cross interest in wresting the Island from the grip of "The Lady"

View Postblackzoid, on 24 August 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

None

From what I remember the stated intention was just to chastise and reinstitute the 5th (?) Army from the original conquest rather than to reoccupy the island.

This post has been edited by Fereydoon: 25 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

#6 User is offline   korik 

• Corporal

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

It would also confirm Rel as a emperor - he gets a lot of prestige from the reconquest.... even if he wasn't there!

#7 User is offline   Midnight 

• Captain

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

I see - thanks. I didn't think there would be any imperial interests in teh two campaigns, I was wondering whether there was any divine cross interest in wresting the Island from the grip of "The Lady"

Given Mallick's background as Jhistal there's no telling how much he knew about the Lady and Stonewielder so there could have been some crossover with Tavore's campaign. I'm really hoping to learn more about how much he really knows...

This post has been edited by Midnight: 25 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

#8 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 24 August 2011 - 11:59 PM, said:

i think Emperor Rel will slowly exersize economic and political power to cow whatever is left of korel. that wave did some damage, and the theocracy is shattered.
This. Also Malazan cults are in a prime position to spread with the Lady gone; the major military power, Korelri, is, apart from the city of Storm, pretty much gone; Mare will likely rebuild its fleets, but may well be more friendly to Malaz given that it was Devaleth's warning that saved them and since they're not under pressure from the theocracy as 'heretics'. Additionally, I think, considering the Crimson Guard have consolidated their control over Stratem to the south and still aren't really friends of the Empire, control of Korel remains strategic for Malaz.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#9 User is offline   Ozymandiac 

• Captain

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

Why does the Crimson Guard still have power over the south of Stratem? I thought they left the continent for good in RotCG. I can't remember what happened at the end of RotCG to the companies loyal to K'azz though so you could be right.
"Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

#10 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

No idea where the companies who where with Kazz went or with Skinner for that matter. Its plausible they went ot places of supply theyd had for a while such as Genabackis or Stratem.

As for Korel- It was a large continent isolated completely. That isolation has been broken, militarily, theologically and economically, and now Malaz, who lost 7cities, can extend some form of relations with them. I hope we see more of this though I doubt it given that its set on Genabackis. Hopefully some ICE only characters will turn up.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users