• You cannot reply to this topic

forum RISK like forum chess....but waaaay riskier

#1 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

A'ight dudes.

Reviving and old idea with new technology. After my experience with the chess game, I think I can handle this and post the game board electronically. Here is the blank board, adding armies is as simple as putting different coloured numbers on the various territories and updating them as we play the game. Here's a sample of the board....I know the fonts are a little messed up looking in some places but I'll try to fix the image quality when we start playing.

Attached File  Blank board.png (270.18K)
Number of downloads: 0

FORUM RISK RULES - mk 1.0

Ground Rules / Dispute resolution

• An adjudicator is selected for the game which should be the guy updating the board in the forum. The adjudicator may play in the game but is held to the highest standard of honesty and integrity. The adjudicator for the round must be agreed upon unanimously. The adjudicator continues to administer the game to its conclusion even if he/she has lost all his territories or has surrendered.
  • It is assumed at all times that we are playing by core risk rules, excepting modifications unanimously agreed-upon by all players. This includes house-rules and victory conditions. The core rule book (should it need to be referenced in a dispute) shall be that of the adjudicator.
  • All decisions outside the rules will be handled by vote if there is an uneven # of players. In the case of an even # of players, the adjudicator has an extra vote. All votes cast must be in the interest of the game where applicable, not in the interest of individual players
  • Honor system on all things to do with game combat / card draws. Obviously, we're going to have to do some things without other players seeing dice outcomes etc. If you cheat, yer an asshole.
  • Minor disputes such as #'s of armies on a territory to be ruled by majority, ie: if you say you have 5 but everybody else says 4, then its 4. In the case of no majority, then the lower number is considered correct and all adjust accordingly
  • Try to be timely with your turn. If we can get 1 round (each player 1 turn) per day that's good, but no bitching about it. If you're going to be AFK for a bit, try to complete a turn and let the other players know so we can finish our turns while you're away and so that we aren't checking all the time waiting for somebody's turn that will be delayed.
  • In the event of a player withdrawal before complete defeat, all his/her territories will become neutral defenders that can no longer make attack moves or exchange risk cards. The player's risk cards will return to the deck.
  • Alliances are encouraged and can be handled via PM, but any private message cannot include information about the board not already posted in the main thread. For instance, you cannot make your attacks, then propose an alliance with another player before posting the results of your attack for all others to see. Again, honour system applies

Game Start
Initial board setup and territory assignment
  • Territory assignment is random and administered by the adjudicator. Adjudicator deals out the risk cards to the players involved and produces a post with all players' starting territories.
  • To prevent early disputes and slight variations in game rule editions, Adjudicator assigns the appropriate number of armies to each player for game start.
  • Since placing one army / turn in sequence at the start of the game would take forever by forum post, all players divide their starting armies amongst their territories themselves.
  • After army assignments are complete, all players post their starting territories and the adjudicator adjusts the board accordingly.

Turn Progression
Stuff handled by a player on his/her turn

• Turns progress in the order outlined by the core rules: Reinforcements -> Turn in Risk Cards -> Attack -> Fortify -> Receive risk cards. No takebacks or mulligans. Once you do the attack, you can't go back and turn in risk cards. Once you fortify, no more attacks and so on. Honour system.
  • Reinforcement phase is handled by the player. # of territories divided by 3 (rounded down) + continent bonuses.
  • Risk card turn in for extra reinforcements handled by the player. 2 extra reinforcements on territories owned by you that are part of the set you're turning in. Max 5 risk cards in your possession before you must turn in a set. Same as core rules there.
  • Attack / defend rolls are handled by the player doing the attacking, with no correspondence on the forum. Attacks proceed according to core rules (if you roll 3, you have to move at least 3 into the conquered territory etc... etc... you know the drill).
  • Since the defender is not present to roll defense die, the defending territory shall use 2 dice to defend at all times unless the # of defending armies is 3 or less at the start of the attack. After this point, the defenders use only 1 die to defend.
  • Fortify move consists of 1 or more armies moved from a player's territory to another adjacent territory that the player controls at the end of the turn. One move across one territory border.
  • Risk Cards are collected at the end of your turn if you capture at least 1 territory from an enemy player. Each player will draw from his/her own full deck. This is a departure from the standard rules, but its the only way to keep it so that nobody can see the other players' cards.

End of turn
This part concerns what will happen so that the turn can be passed to the next player.

• At the end of his/her turn the player records the relevant pieces of information so that everybody else can follow:
    • # of reinforcements received, including those for risk card turn-ins and where they were distributed.
    • Description of any attacks including origin and invaded territory, along with numbers before/after the attack
    • Number of risk cards in your possession (but not the face values)
    • Fortify move origin/destination and # of armies moved
  • After a player's post, the turn is considered passed to the next player and the adjudicator (me) will update the board, after which the next player may begin his turn immediately.
Example:

CF's turn said:

Currently holding 12 territories. Turned in cards for 10 armies, total 14 reinforcements.

14 Reinforcements distributed
  • 12 to Ukraine
  • 2 to Eastern Europe
Attacking: Ukraine with 19 armies attacks Ural with 4 armies

Outcome: Attack with 3 die was pressed until Ukraine has 12 armies and Ural has 0 armies.

Move: Ukraine moves 10 armies to Ural, leaving 2 in Ukraine.

Attacking: Ural with 10 armies attacks Afghanistan with 1 army

Outcome: Attack with 3 die was pressed until Ural has 5 armies and Afghanistan has 1 armies.
Outcome: Attack with 2 die was pressed until Ural has 4 armies and Afghanistan has 0 armies.

Move: Ural moves 2 armies to Afghanistan, leaving 2 in Ural.

Reinforcement: Scandanavia moves 3 armies to Ukraine, leaving 1 army in Scandanavia and 5 armies in Ukraine.

END OF TURN.

Items to figure out before we start
  • Victory condition
  • Army cap on territories or unlimited armies
  • Risk card turn-in scheme. Increasing or fixed? Fixed means set amounts for matching the figures on the risk cards, where: 3 cannons = 10 armies, 3 horses = 5 armies, 3 infantry = 3 armies.
  • Rolling attacks allowed or 1 attack per army per turn. For instance, if you have an army of 60 coming out of Australia, are you allowed to mow down 20 1-man territories in one turn or are you able to advance into adjacent territories and no further in 1 turn.

WHO WANTS IN?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#2 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

Really? No takers?

That's cool then. I figure we can make it work tho
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#3 User is offline   pathos 

• Captain
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

this games takes forever... if i had the time i would so be doing this. hoping to see some people playing though....it is good fun
You never have the same problem twice when you set it on fire

#4 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:35 PM

Thats just it though....it can take forever and most likely will, but there's no rush. I'll do the work of updating the board. Everybody else just has to make their rolls and moves.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 19 August 2011 - 12:35 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#5 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:42 PM

ive never played risk before. Let me read up on it, might be worth a try.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#6 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:49 PM

There's a few sites on line with a good general run-down of the rules and some that go into quite a bit of detail.

The game is very basic once you get going.

We'll have to modify a few things (especially with the risk cards) for it to work on the forum but everything else will be essentially core-rules.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#7 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

Been really busy so sorry I haven't responded. I would be in for a game of risk!
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#8 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

Right.

me
Dolmen possibly
Gust Hubb.

We need 3 more for a full game, but I'd give it a go if we got at least 4.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#9 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

Any other takers. If not I'll forget about it.

I was thinking of writing a little program to deal with the risk cards. It would basically be a text based .exe you could run that would dole out cards at random and remember which ones you've already drawn.

Yes, I'm that awesome.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#10 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

How many minutes a day will be required to play?
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#11 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:02 PM

Enough to execute a turn and pass it along.

I fully expect the game to progress slowly and take weeks / months to complete.

Which is annoying and fun at the same time. You gotta wait for your turn to come around for a bit, but in the meantime you can really plan and connive, make alliances, carefully consider....stuff you don't get out of a tabletop game where everybody is giving you the "hurry the fuck up" stare when you take too long.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#12 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

I bet no Russian will sign up for this game, seeing how the Moscow/ st. petersburg area is called Ukraine :yes

Sorry guys, I'm out. Risk is very little fun imho.
You might want to PM apt, I think he already professed his love of risk elsewhere.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#13 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

Well, this is just practice for my true western-strategy love - axis and allies

That one would be a bit more complicated to pull off via forum. I bet it could be done tho.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#14 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

You might have more luck using something like this: http://gamesbyemail.com/ rather than trying to code something yourself.

They have a risk clone, and we've used it before to play diplomacy. I could possibly be interested, but I'm not going to be around for the next couple of weeks.

#15 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 25 August 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

Well, this is just practice for my true western-strategy love - axis and allies

That one would be a bit more complicated to pull off via forum. I bet it could be done tho.

There are free to play forum versions of it. I'd deffo join that one: it's a fave with my mates and I used to read quite a bit of articles on strategy on the game. The pleasure disappeared when I learned how the game is relatively easily stalemated/ broken by the infantry turtle, at the least in the classic version (classic map, no destroyer/artillery).

Avalon Hill apparently fixed a lot of the original's shortcomings in the latest versions.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#16 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:42 PM

I thought it was funner to do it here so we can have onlookers and commentary from people not in the game, plus discuss strategy etc... in the thread.

Gamesbyemail is cool though and I used to use that. Had a few terrific games though it often suffered from dropout players.

@Tapper

I'm totally fine with a conversion to forum A&A. I can make a board and edit and update just like chess.

I know what you mean about shortcomings in earlier editions....i disliked that when you were playing with anybody experienced, the first 2-3 rounds of the game were always made by rote and pretty much decided by dice than strategy.

I think if we can trust each other with dice rolls then A&A would lend itself a bit better to forum play anyway. Less randomization, attacks are generally smaller and there's not too much to keep track of outside the board.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#17 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

skipped down through the thread, only home and found it.
/in

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users